Kowa 8z Anamorphic - Repair Help Needed

Bozzie

Hi All, 

Anyone have any experience with stripping down a Kowa 8z Anamorphic adapter? I've stripped down a couple of other scopes before but this one's giving me a bit of bother. The pics below are as far as I've got.

Repair Issue: I want to access the screws (highlighted in red) but the focus barrel (helicoid?) is jammed - Won't rotate in either direction. Anyone experienced this before? If so, how did you release/fix it? I'm sure I'm missing something. 

@Tito Ferradans Maybe you might have some advice?

Thanks in advance!

-- B

Kowa1.jpg

Kowa2.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, Bozzie said:

Hi All, 

Anyone have any experience with stripping down a Kowa 8z Anamorphic adapter? I've stripped down a couple of other scopes before but this one's giving me a bit of bother. The pics below are as far as I've got.

Repair Issue: I want to access the screws (highlighted in red) but the focus barrel (helicoid?) is jammed - Won't rotate in either direction. Anyone experienced this before? If so, how did you release/fix it? I'm sure I'm missing something. 

@Tito Ferradans Maybe you might have some advice?

Thanks in advance!

-- B

Kowa1.jpg

Kowa2.jpg

Hey, your lens has been modified.  I believe it has reached to one end.  Please refer my picture.  

BTW, if you need, I can sell mine to you, mechanic parts only, no glasses.  ?

16h_repair.jpg

15 hours ago, Grimor said:

I think you can remove all the 3 screw/tabs that limit infinity and close focus points.

Thank you. Seen that vid before. The issue I have is that I'm unable to access the screws due to the focus barrel being stuck. Need to figure out a way of loosing it without breaking the damn thing! ?

13 hours ago, ken said:

Hey, your lens has been modified

Hey @ken. Thanks for the pic! Modified? Please explain.

13 hours ago, ken said:

BTW, if you need, I can sell mine to you, mechanic parts only, no glasses.

How much are you wanting for that bad boy? ?

8 hours ago, Bozzie said:

Thank you. Seen that vid before. The issue I have is that I'm unable to access the screws due to the focus barrel being stuck. Need to figure out a way of loosing it without breaking the damn thing! ?

Hey @ken. Thanks for the pic! Modified? Please explain.

How much are you wanting for that bad boy? ?

Your lens barrel has been cut out the distance marking part, obviously.

Mine's price?  I think it worth around $200 nowadays.  Its front lens was too bad when I bought, not usable.  So I took out rear lens for use with other front lens.   

21 hours ago, Bozzie said:

Thank you. Seen that vid before. The issue I have is that I'm unable to access the screws due to the focus barrel being stuck. Need to figure out a way of loosing it without breaking the damn thing! 

Ah, now i see the problem!

Did you remove the front look ring first? 3 little screws beside is writted "kowa prominar made in japan"

It'll allow you to rotate the focus barrel in the desired direction.

The focus distance ring is only cosmetic part (with some usefull info), but you dont need it really. Look for a little little tiny screw on it that lossen to reset the focus mark.

If you can remove it, you can look for further problem and probably you can turn your focus barrel with some liquid grease/lube.

17 hours ago, ken said:

Your lens barrel has been cut out the distance marking part, obviously

It's not been cut.  I removed the distance marker ring to access the screws ?

17 hours ago, ken said:

I think it worth around $200 nowadays

I'll keep that in mind!

5 hours ago, Grimor said:

Did you remove the front look ring first? 3 little screws beside is writted "kowa prominar made in japan"

It'll allow you to rotate the focus barrel in the desired direction.

All removed. The focus barrel was ceased. I say "was" as it's now been resolved! Just about to post an update ?

*** RESOLVED! ***

A few guys over on facebook suggested using a hair dryer. And it seemingly did the trick! That, WD40 and a shit load of hard taps to the focus barrel ?

Here's the process I used:

1. Apply WD40 into the grooves of the focus barrel. Wipe off the excess liquid and leave for 24hrs.
  2. Use hair dryer on low setting, high heat over focus barrel and inside grooves.
  3. Tap hard around focus barrel with palm. Try to twist barrel and tap some more.
  4. repeat step 2 (if needed).
  5. repeat step 3 (if needed).

Hopefully this might be of help to others too.

Next StepClean, re-grease, re-build and at some point -- TEST.

Best,

-- B

Kowa Resolved.JPG

• 1 year later...
On 6/29/2019 at 7:18 AM, CfFilmmaker said:

Had a similar issue with my Elmoscope II, turns out the focus ring was bent in making it a hell of a time to unscrew. Cut my fingers on the threads a few times but was able to use a cut up tennis ball to give me the grip I needed to wrench it off. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Great stuff!