If you had one lens only?

wolf33d

5 hours ago, kye said:

Crop mode and Clear-image zoom compared...  the clear image zoom looks pretty darn good to me.

I didn't realise that the zoom goes beyond 1.5x - that means even more flexibility!

And now with the A7IV, we can just get a 16mm F1.4 and with crop mode, clear image zoom, and automagical fractal AI interpolation modes, it's a 16-200mm lens!!

Other times to use clear image zoom.

When you want to "zoom" with a prime and including fast and unusual.       I would also think that a lens like the Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 zoomed to 2x would be as good at least as (for example) 55mm setting on the FE kit lens or most old adapted lenses and maybe even some of the better native zooms.

Also being variable, you can use any zoom setting from 1.1 to 2x with clear image zoom (and if you have to, can also "zoom" to 4x with the digital setting).

It also allows you to use smaller sensor lenses in a pinch adapted (IE M43 lenses with mechanical focus and aperture - the adapters are dumb and thin metal rings so most AF M43 lenses are not practical on E mount).      It also means APSC lenses can be used FF with less vignetting and sometimes you might only need a little zoom.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, kye said:

Crop mode and Clear-image zoom compared...  the clear image zoom looks pretty darn good to me.

I didn't realise that the zoom goes beyond 1.5x - that means even more flexibility!

And now with the A7IV, we can just get a 16mm F1.4 and with crop mode, clear image zoom, and automagical fractal AI interpolation modes, it's a 16-200mm lens!!

CIZ is good to about 1.5x on the Sony's I've most recently owned - the a7r2 and s2. Beyond that it gets mushy. I've used it a few times shooting wildlife since my longest lens is the 70-200, so 1.5x in crop mode (300mm) and another 1.5x (450mm) with CIZ. Its like a built-in TC. Put it on a custom function button and you can quickly punch in by tapping a button. Works pretty well, caught a couple lions having domestic issues in Masai Mara. I'm going to move from the 70-200 to the 100-400 soon, so that will give me some serious reach.

p.s. Just minutes after this female scolded the male, he walked over to her and they did the nasty. Best 5 seconds of his day. Shot the whole thing in 4k with the a7r2 s35 mode, just need a voiceover from David Attenborough. 

Cheers

Chris

Domestic Dispute.jpg

Yeah the later version of the 100-400mm is a real gem. Even the first version I owned was a beauty. A little on the slow side but with Digital cameras now is not that big of a deal. I have seen them for around 750 to 800 dollars used as of late on the original version. Buy it, you will love it for Photos. I Never used it for video. So I have no clue how it would work for that being variable aperture? But being only f/4.5-5.6, that is not even a stop difference,  sort of a half stop, so I don't think that is a big deal to be honest other than crash zoom stuff.

7 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

CIZ is good to about 1.5x on the Sony's I've most recently owned - the a7r2 and s2. Beyond that it gets mushy. I've used it a few times shooting wildlife since my longest lens is the 70-200, so 1.5x in crop mode (300mm) and another 1.5x (450mm) with CIZ. Its like a built-in TC. Put it on a custom function button and you can quickly punch in by tapping a button. Works pretty well, caught a couple lions having domestic issues in Masai Mara. I'm going to move from the 70-200 to the 100-400 soon, so that will give me some serious reach.

p.s. Just minutes after this female scolded the male, he walked over to her and they did the nasty. Best 5 seconds of his day. Shot the whole thing in 4k with the a7r2 s35 mode, just need a voiceover from David Attenborough. 

Cheers

Chris

Domestic Dispute.jpg

Thanks, that clears up the confusion I had around the CIZ function.  In the video the guy showed it at 1.5X but the others were talking about how it can go beyond that, so I wasn't sure if it was a mistake or firmware differences or whatever.

Still, combining crop 1.5X and CIZ 1.5X to get 2.25X is hugely useful!

44 minutes ago, kye said:

Thanks, that clears up the confusion I had around the CIZ function.  In the video the guy showed it at 1.5X but the others were talking about how it can go beyond that, so I wasn't sure if it was a mistake or firmware differences or whatever.

Still, combining crop 1.5X and CIZ 1.5X to get 2.25X is hugely useful!

Just to clarify, CIZ goes to 2x. I just don't like the image degradation beyond 1.5x, which is what I meant when I said it was good to about 1.5x. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Chris

26 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Just to clarify, CIZ goes to 2x. I just don't like the image degradation beyond 1.5x, which is what I meant when I said it was good to about 1.5x. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Chris

You were clear, my summary might not have been :)

The more I learn about the A7III the better it looks and the less likely the alternatives will suit my purposes..  Then I will begin the journey of learning to tame its colour science :)

13 minutes ago, kye said:

You were clear, my summary might not have been :)

The more I learn about the A7III the better it looks and the less likely the alternatives will suit my purposes..  Then I will begin the journey of learning to tame its colour science :)

To me the Sony A7 mk III looks more like Canon colors than Canon as of late. I think they are looking pretty good right out of the box.

Dies it use that Venice Color Science??