Samyang/Rokinon makes Anamorphic Lenses!

IronFilm

1 minute ago, jonpais said:

But if they’re too cheap, will rental houses still find it profitable to carry them?

True, although I think anamorphic lenses even at a third of their prices would still be very premium items that rental houses would buy. 

Another problem is that rentals won't necessarily decrease linearly with the purchase cost, so I might still not find it cheap enough to rent. 

Anyway, if anamorphic drops to a third of their cheapest price currently then I expect you could find a lot more DoP's owning their own personal set. At the moment I can't think of anyone I know locally who owns some! But if Rokinon/Samyang brought out anamorphics which are say only 50% more than their Xeen lenses then I'd likely end up knowing a few people locally I could perhaps rent from other than just rental houses. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What will never happen, dropping to a third of their current cheapest prices?

Never say never!

One day a company will make the gamble that the volume of sales will make it worthwhile to streamline the manufacturing process and cut their margins to sell it rock bottom. 

Durability and servicability are the two major issues that guide lens purchases at rental houses. They have to survive Preston motors and clip-on matteboxes. If a lens goes down, it's hundreds of dollars per manhour for repair, plus the rental time lost during repairs, plus the subrentals required to complete the set during said repairs. 

There are of course exceptions for rare and desireable vintage lenses, but even there a thriving rehousing industry has developed aimed at bringing old glass up to snuff because lenses designed to live on sticks will start to suffer swinging from an easyrig or a gimbal with a lens motor cranking away.

If they look decent and work reliably with minimal maintenance, rental houses will buy them because anamorphic is in right now and more cameras than ever are compatible with them. 

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

On this topic of affordable anamorphics, this video is very much worth a watch:

But before you reply, note when that video was uploaded this year, and check out this update as well:

I’ve watched those already. We’re not getting Rokinon anamorphics for $3,000 except in your dreams. 

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

No boom pole required for Curtis.

You'd be surprised, I'm only a couple of inches shorter than Curtis, yet even so I will find a few times a month these moments when I wish I was taller as I just didn't have quite enough reach for a shot I'd like to manage to pull off. 

Oh well. 

How on earth my friends who are under six foot survive as aspiring boom ops I have no idea whatsoever!!! Madness

3 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Hmm wondering when there will be more news. Like when they will ship. 

Would love to see some footage, and when I say footage I’m not talking Arri Alexa/Mini and Red Weapon... but rather Canon C200, 1DXM2, 5DM4, Panasonic GH5/S, Sony Alpha etc...

Crews with Arri’s and top of the line Reds don’t care about budget anamorphics.

Also to attract DSLR and mirrorless users price should be “reasonable”.

8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

There are plenty of small budget shoots with an Arri or a RED Dragon etc who'd love to see more affordable anamorphics as well. 

Well if this is the target market for “affordable” anamorphics, let’s hope they are no more than $15k each... still affordable... by anamorphic standards, but priced sufficiently, as to keep these gems out of budget for most DSLR/Mirrorless users. After all, professional film crews have so few options.

Or... perhaps, just maybe Samyang will not expressly forbid professional film crews from purchasing these lenses, but focus on the widely untapped DSLR/Mirrorless camera market? I would go out on a limb and wager there are more users in this category than the pro film crew market. Plus, no one has done this before... and yes I know about those god awful SLR Magic anamorphic primes... they don’t count. Perhaps when they come out with something that looks half way decent... but not now.

49 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Well if this is the target market for “affordable” anamorphics, let’s hope they are no more than $15k each... still affordable... by anamorphic standards, but priced sufficiently, as to keep these gems out of budget for most DSLR/Mirrorless users. After all, professional film crews have so few options.

Or... perhaps, just maybe Samyang will not expressly forbid professional film crews from purchasing these lenses, but focus on the widely untapped DSLR/Mirrorless camera market? I would go out on a limb and wager there are more users in this category than the pro film crew market. Plus, no one has done this before... and yes I know about those god awful SLR Magic anamorphic primes... they don’t count. Perhaps when they come out with something that looks half way decent... but not now.

Max prize will be 9K as otherwise they would not advertise 50% off of the cheapest prize and the orion atlas lenses are already 9K each.

1 minute ago, AaronChicago said:

DC Camera already has the Atlas Orion anamorphics to rent for $150/day.

https://www.dc-camera.com/product/lenses/anamorphic/atlas-orion-anamorphic/atlas-orion-anamorphic/

Wow that is a pretty good deal, this is an amount that I could work in budgets. However it will take a long time I guess before they hit the Belgium market.

26 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah that is easily half the normal price to rent a good Anamorphic. Nice.

Yeah hopefully it will not get that cheap so it will turn into a gimmick as we have seen with gymbals, drones, sliders,... as the high price of anamorphics is probably also one of the reasons it looks this good, as you dont see it daily. The first time I saw a drone shot, I was like wow this is amazing, same for gymbals. But after a while I got pretty tired of it as everybody was using it and as a result a lot of videos look the same.