Samyang/Rokinon makes Anamorphic Lenses!

IronFilm

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/eng/news/kofic_news.jsp?mode=VIEW&seq=1763&blbdComCd=601007

LEE Joon-dong, acting chairman of KOFIC, announced the results of several KOFIC supported projects to the approximately 100 industry professionals in attendance. Technological advancements that were presented include DMLITE’s ‘LUMOS Glow Panel 400C’ as well as a new high quality anamorphic lens created by Samyang Optics that comes at a price that is 50% lower than similar products offered by foreign competitors.

"50% lower" is a broad statement, 50% lower than who exactly? If it is 50% lower than the current cheapest anamorphic lenses then this is exciting, but if it is 50% off $50K well maybe not so much.....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's Samyang/Rokinon... so realistically something along the lines of: https://atlaslensco.com but at 50% off (~$4k). In which case I'd be looking forward to jonpais' footage! ?

Possibly under the 'XEEN' moniker, of which their current lenses are also cheaper than say Tokina's stills version adapted cine lenses. Hopefully they come with C-AF compatibility for some of the people around here.

I'm guessing they're gonna cost around $4-5K. There are very realistic limits to how cheap you can build anamorphic glass and still have a semblence of quality. Bent glass is very difficult to grind. They look like they have a T1.4 aperture. If they're sharp at 2.8, that'll be a victory. Most anamorphics are mush wide open.

The most expensive lens Samyang even makes is $799.00.  Jumping up to a $10,000.00 lens would be quite a leap! That is like one day building Fiat 500's and the next day you start making Ferrari's. And yes I know Fiat owns Ferrari.

22 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I'm going to guess they mean 50% lower than competing companies like SLR Magic maybe? 

I sort of believe his statement more than 10K lenses. ?

1 hour ago, BrooklynDan said:

I'm guessing they're gonna cost around $4-5K. There are very realistic limits to how cheap you can build anamorphic glass and still have a semblence of quality. Bent glass is very difficult to grind. They look like they have a T1.4 aperture. If they're sharp at 2.8, that'll be a victory. Most anamorphics are mush wide open.

You would think it would be a Lot easier to manufacture lenses today than 15, 30 years ago with computer modeling and computer machinery to produce them. But I have seen a video on Canon lenses and their is an amazing amount of hand assembly in them. But still that can't be tons of money. So what if it takes them a week. Doesn't justify a $40,000.00 lens price to me.

It could be it is mostly they really don't sell many at all. I would think one made 50 years ago is still capable of getting the job done on most film stuff. Now on these new 8K Panavision things I doubt old ones hold up well. Since Hollywood seems to pay out the butt for everything, why not charge the moon for one.

35 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

The most expensive lens Samyang even makes is $799.00.  Jumping up to a $10,000.00 lens would be quite a leap! That is like one day building Fiat 500's and the next day you start making Ferrari's. And yes I know Fiat owns Ferrari.

I sort of believe his statement more than 10K lenses. ?

No, their Xeen line is like 2K per lens.

Holy moly, this could be big news. Depending on the price. Hoping they are shipping them fast. Yeah 2.8 would be awesome. I am exited as the atlas orion glass is still a bit of a reach pricewise, and also is already in backorder. Please be awesome, have an amazing big stock and have a decent price. 

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

2018 is supposed to be the year that anamorphics get affordable and many jumped all over my $h!t...

Problem is many people have a different idea of what "affordable" means. 

If they dropped to say a third of their current cheapest price, then well I still can't buy it, but it does make it "affordable" enough that rentals can be on the table for some projects I'm involved in. So that would be good news indeed. 

6 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Problem is many people have a different idea of what "affordable" means. 

If they dropped to say a third of their current cheapest price, then well I still can't buy it, but it does make it "affordable" enough that rentals can be on the table for some projects I'm involved in. So that would be good news indeed. 

But if they’re too cheap, will rental houses still find it profitable to stock them?