DJI Mavic Pro II

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Interesting video...

BS clickbait. Of course there is no quality improvement on a basic image between normal and log. The point of log is not better quality, the point is being able to grade the way you want and not fall appart thanks to 10 bit. 

Ask the guy to take a difficult scene with sun, and do a heavy grade in both and we will see....

If you do not need to grade the footage there is no point in shooting log indeed.  

Just because you said something positive about me I did it ; It's 0.85KG on the scale :). @Emanuel

BTW no one speaks about this on the web but did you notice ??? 
Price rise on DJI.com, in US and also Europe. 50$ more for the drone, 60$ more the fly more pack, ND filters, batteries, everything is more expensive. I thought about Trump taxes at first but since the rise also happens in EUR I do not know... Anyway happy I got it for the previous price. 

Very surprising still. 

20 hours ago, wolf33d said:

BS clickbait. Of course there is no quality improvement on a basic image between normal and log. The point of log is not better quality, the point is being able to grade the way you want and not fall appart thanks to 10 bit. 

Ask the guy to take a difficult scene with sun, and do a heavy grade in both and we will see....

If you do not need to grade the footage there is no point in shooting log indeed.  

Yes, you are absolutely right there. If you have no intention of editing your footage there is absolutely no point in either 10 bit or DLog - just shoot normal mode 8 bit.

The point that I found 'interesting' was that 'you could shoot 10 bit DLog with h.264' as opposed to 'h.265'. Why would you want to do that when h.265 should theoretically give you more 'info' - well purely for 'ease of editing'. I thought you needed to shoot h.265 for 10 bit and DLog.

8 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Screen capture from yesterday

EDIT: Wow why does this image looks sooo contrasty and over-graded while on my computer it's normal ?!

Same one with color grade but at 20% and with 0 contrast added. Still look awful. Some knows why is that?\

Personally, I dont think there is an underlying problem here. The drone is pointed almost directly into the sun - the brightest possible light source and the bottom left (especially) is shielded from the sun and receiving very little light. There could easily be 30 stops of dynamic range in this screenshot - which might look good to our own eyes but wont look good to a 1 inch sensor (especially with video.)

If you look around you will see plenty of sunset/sunrise videos taken with something like a Mavic and they tend to look pretty terrible because in order to get decent detail in your shadows you have to blow out your highlights.

As an example here is a screenshot of a photo taken with the A7riii in raw (which obviously has a lot more DR than a Mavic sensor.)

838432341_ClipboardImage(212).thumb.jpg.81c75d0136f80941efef7f4bf8cb8f94.jpg

The red areas show the clipped highlights and the blue shows the shadows with no detail - the shot is obviously unusable.

Typically you cant get decent video from a Mavic shooting directly into the sun.

Well well....

this getting really confusing... I’m planning to exchange my P3pro with an M2 after Xmas ( no need now and waiting for the price drop)

i really haven’t found a good overview of zoom vs pro based on 24/28 vs 48/42mm ungreaded/ graded.. and Photo 12mp vs 20mp vs 48mp stich  and so on...

B

https://youtu.be/ApObdI3jyf0

https://youtu.be/GpweQVMuXbQ

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

What is your impression? Is it worth it?

Mavic 2 vs Phantom 4 pro?

Organic stuff has no contender ; ) Cinematic outcome is soft, so... ; -)

Mavic Pro 2 seems a wholly another league actually. Not necessarily to the tastes book of today where smartphones look rule over our heads (E : -)

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Great review. And I suspected that they forced Hasselblad to concentrate on the size/ form factor way more than image quality. I was hoping it as good, if not better than the Phantom 4 Pro. Except the image quality (which is not bad, though not in the same league I guess), most other things seem so perfect. 

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

Worst bullish I have seen in a long time. I liked this guy videos, but now I will be more carefull. T

- First of all, the sharpness on the MP2 should be turned to +1 because they have turned down the digital sharpness compared to previous drone.
- Secondly, the guy uses AF which is known to suck. Just go MF and click on infinity symbol and all your footages will look sharp and no focus issue. Someone tells him? 
- Third and MOST important: the diffraction on the MP2 is enormous past F5.6. Best sharpness is achieved at 2.8, and best corner sharpness at F/4. Sweet overall spot is F/4. Shoot in either manual either aperture priority and always between 2.8 and F4. I am sure the aperture was higher in his shot. 

Do the 3 steps above, re-compare, and the guy will order again the Mavic. When you put out videos like this for the world and you are popular you should do the work properly. 

Picture from the Pro 2 from this weekend. Shot in JPG. 
InkedDJI_0043_LI.thumb.jpg.b9ab9534591a3d6c3ce398ecbed4d2f0.jpg

3 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Worst bullish I have seen in a long time. I liked this guy videos, but now I will be more carefull. T

- First of all, the sharpness on the MP2 should be turned to +1 because they have turned down the digital sharpness compared to previous drone.
- Secondly, the guy uses AF which is known to suck. Just go MF and click on infinity symbol and all your footages will look sharp and no focus issue. Someone tells him? 
- Third and MOST important: the diffraction on the MP2 is enormous past F5.6. Best sharpness is achieved at 2.8, and best corner sharpness at F/4. Sweet overall spot is F/4. Shoot in either manual either aperture priority and always between 2.8 and F4. I am sure the aperture was higher in his shot. 

Do the 3 steps above, re-compare, and the guy will order again the Mavic. When you put out videos like this for the world and you are popular you should do the work properly. 

Picture from the Pro 2 from this weekend. Shot in JPG. 

A little harsh. I actually think that both Max's and Phillip Bloom's video reviews are pretty good.

I think it is important to take Max's review in context. He already owns a P4P with a one inch sensor (capable of 4k 60) and the M2Pro probably doesnt offer any significant IQ advantage over that. He also owns a Mavic Air which is more portable than a M2Pro and offers better image quality than the original Mavic Pro (due to less in camera sharpening/NR and better codec.) So coming from that context, I can see why he concludes that a M2Pro doesnt have enough value added for him to keep it.

Now, if like me, you only own a single drone and are upgrading from an original Mavic Pro, then M2Pro is a HUGE upgrade. Better image quality, better codec, better compression (h.265 v h.264), better bit depth (10 bit v 8), better bit rate (100 v 60), better stills (20 v 12mp), better battery life, more sensors, variable aperture, better build quality etc... Of course, it would have been nice to have 4k 60p and a 4k full sensor readout but there you go. And anyone who really expected something special out of the camera simply because it has Hasselblad on the front was simply being heroically optimistic.

We are sort of in the 'hangover' phase after the initial release where all the relatively small problems with a camera are highlighted (remember pdaf stripe gate, and line of dead pixel gate with the A7iii.)