DJI Mavic Pro II

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Man.. I got a second copy of the drone finally, first one had the entire right side soft. It also had the gimbal jump down violently (wasn't above 0 y axis). This new copy is fine in those respects. 

I am however very surprised and disappointed with the barrel distortion fix. I hadn't done much analysis until now, but you need to do at least -4 curvature adjustment and that makes the entire image much softer. I found that you have to increase sharpness around +24 to get back to what it was without the distortion correction. This now negates the issues I thought were solved going from the mavic pro/air, pertaining to sharpening. I have seen much more aliasing, due to the slight crop and required sharpening. Also see foliage dancing a bit because of the crop/sharpening. 

Thought I finally found a drone that fit what I wanted to do perfectly, for the price and size. Footage looks amazing, until you have to fix it (minus the baked in curvature)

FML

DJI announced their ‘smart controller’ a couple of days ago to little fanfare and a very lukewarm reception.

The chief complaint seems to be the price - @US$649. Seems not at all bad to me considering the 1000 nit 5.5inch CS screen. (Very useful here in Asia.) I guess if you don’t want that, there.is not much point.

1 hour ago, Robert Collins said:

DJI announced their ‘smart controller’ a couple of days ago to little fanfare and a very lukewarm reception.

The chief complaint seems to be the price - @US$649. Seems not at all bad to me considering the 1000 nit 5.5inch CS screen. (Very useful here in Asia.) I guess if you don’t want that, there.is not much point.

It is a good solution for not wasting your phone's battery and whatnot, but my phone is 5.7-5.8" with around 650-700nits and I carry with me quickcharge 3.0 powerbanks anyway, + a tablet.

They just waited to make the announcement after Christmas, while they will make a charming bundle really soon. DJI are becoming very good at milking us in any possible way.

I spend 1499€, it would have been much nicer if it was 1399!

@Robert Collins what ND/PL filters are you using? Do you have an opinion about Polarpro or Pgytech?

35 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

It is a good solution for not wasting your phone's battery and whatnot, but my phone is 5.7-5.8" with around 650-700nits and I carry with me quickcharge 3.0 powerbanks anyway, + a tablet.

They just waited to make the announcement after Christmas, while they will make a charming bundle really soon. DJI are becoming very good at milking us in any possible way.

I spend 1499€, it would have been much nicer if it was 1399!

@Robert Collins what ND/PL filters are you using? Do you have an opinion about Polarpro or Pgytech?

I use polar pro - well built,good quality, fit well and go on and off easily. Can’t say whether they are worth the premium price over pgytech.

For the Mavic pro 2 - with its variable aperture - you really only need an nd8 equivalent to control your shutter speed and you can buy single nds at Polarpro.

On 1/9/2019 at 2:17 PM, Snowbro said:

Man.. I got a second copy of the drone finally, first one had the entire right side soft. It also had the gimbal jump down violently (wasn't above 0 y axis). This new copy is fine in those respects. 

The gimbal and flight are great, but I just noticed the right side is a little bit soft as well. I guess I have to send it back as well..

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Persistent rumors and people very close to DJI have informed us that the DJI Phantom 5 has been canceled. The product manager responsible for the Phantom 5, of which we have seen various prototypes with interchangeable lenses earlier, has been reassigned to another DJI project.

https://dronedj.com/2019/04/26/dji-rumors-phantom-5-canceled/

Looks like only Mavic and Inspire lines might be left from DJI????

Just now, IronFilm said:

https://dronedj.com/2019/04/26/dji-rumors-phantom-5-canceled/

Looks like only Mavic and Inspire lines might be left from DJI????

And Air and Spark and the other, the smaller one. Those are too many already.

Mavic 2 Pro is pretty close to Phantom territory already, especially in price!

No consumers, no prosumers, and not a lot of pros, will take a Phantom against the convinient design of the Mavic. It is really the sweet spot for most of us. If they want to go bigger and more pro-like, then Inspire.

It does make sense for me.

I noticed that in the Our World documentary they were using Inspire's in the worst of conditions. If they are good enough for such a project, then they are good enough for most of us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...