DJI Mavic Pro II

wolf33d

10 hours ago, Emanuel said:

WTH is that?! LOL Detail. Focus on detail and that's all... : -)

You're confusing detail with sharpness, there's absolutely no difference in resolved detail between the two, sharpness can be added in post with far more control. It cannot be removed if it's baked in.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
57 minutes ago, androidlad said:

You're confusing detail with sharpness, there's absolutely no difference in resolved detail between the two, sharpness can be added in post with far more control. It cannot be removed if it's baked in.

No, I was ironic, hence my LOL there on both ways: that one you say. And the obsession on topic. Reason why people end to choose anything which may seem more detailed, no matter what. The more we watch the less we see most part of time ; -)

13 hours ago, Emanuel said:

@Trek of Joy @webrunner5 to each its own... I understand your choice. Not mine at all, though.

I am not checking motion, but from those samples?

@thebrothersthre3 said it all, without getting the meaning of his find, I see : )

It is not "way softer though" but "way more cinematic actually" ; )

Not for all because we're dealing with subjective perspective on here... ; -)

So, don't come to tell me Mavic Pro 2 IQ is lower level once for some other people, it can end to exactly be the contrary... : P

Really? Where are the samples?

I didn't just come into this thread, I said earlier the MP2 was going to be my first drone. But after watching a lot of footage, I came to the conclusion I liked what I was seeing from the P4P better. People are cross-shopping both since they offer similar camera specs, but there are clearly differences. After carefully weighing everything I decided to go P4P over the MP2.

You asked for proof of my conclusion and I gave it to you, then you asked for more, which realistically you can find on your own. I never said the M2P was a bad choice or a bad drone, I simply said after looking at both the IQ of the P4P is a better image to my eyes. If that rubs you the wrong way, that's a you issue.

Cheers

Chris

Chris, your in your own : ) I've seen lots of examples "in the wrong way", I do never call them wrong, just different option from mine ; ) Do you like that P4P outcome? Very well, you're obviously entitled to your choice as already said.

I can even add my criticism to the way you or someone else sees the footage to watch. As much as you or anyone else on the opposite direction, actually. Both ways. Count on it. I just don't commit the mistake to say one is better than the other one when it is not. Fact, not a matter of opinion, mate (E : -)

Wow decisions, decisions. More DR, better colors, and worse curvature more post work on sharpness, or better sharpness, and a little behind specs wise, Hmm. I guess it depends on how fast you need your finial output, and your workload. Or if you just want good OOC stuff without having to work hard to get it.

Is the Mavic 2 enough to upgrade from the Mavic Pro?  What's your thoughts on this? If the Mavic 2 has 4k 60 and near quality image wise to the Phantom, then sure. But from what I see from Youtube vid samples, and the price, I think the old Mavic pro can still hold it's own.

17 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

The video posted above confirmed what I was seeing from the footage. It looks like it can partially be attributed to a better lens on the P4P. The distortion on the MP2 at full FOV is pretty severe. Now I just have to get my FAA certificate....

Chris

I think DJI wants the consumers to choose a more compact drone with ok images or a bigger drone with better images. If they put the sensor of the Phantom on the Mavic, then consumers will flock to the Mavic

On 11/17/2018 at 5:12 PM, Trek of Joy said:

The video posted above confirmed what I was seeing from the footage. It looks like it can partially be attributed to a better lens on the P4P. The distortion on the MP2 at full FOV is pretty severe. Now I just have to get my FAA certificate....

Chris

I don't agree with you on this one not even for a bit other than about barrel distortion, obviously. That one, you can easily correct. So?

Wanna facts?

P4P is oversharpened. Fact.

Not all of us are obsessed with edges but perception. Another fact.

MP2 ends to be more cinematic. My opinion, at least.

• 1 month later...

Quite litteraly, the last hours of 2018 I did -another- present to myself and bought the 2 Pro.

Honestly, the Air should have been sufficient, and the Zoom seems like a better overall proposition (Air+Fly more combo for 900€/Zoom 1250€/Pro 1500€), but I must have the "pro", don't I?!

First of all, the box was sealed and everything seemed ok, but I noticed - quite easily - some minor scratches(?!) on the body. The weather is terrible here, so I won't be able to test anytime soon.

Are there any specific settings and/or tips and tricks that I have to know?

Happy new year to all!

50 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

Settings

Gimbal pitch speed 12, smoothness 20 (makes gimbal movement smoother and less twitchy)

Controller Expo settings .25, .10, .25 (makes yaw movement less twitchy)

Excellent suggestion, I haven't seen those mentioned elsewhere. I will surely test them.

Thank you, and happy new year!

Between light storms and heavy rain - yes, we do have some of those here also - I managed to fly the drone today.

Mixed feelings so far.

Definitely the best flying experience so far for such a small drone. Very easy to do things even if you fly for the very first time. Really Impressive, and we are here flight-wise, every one should buy and can fly one (Air should be sufficient for most).

Image Quality is a lot better than original Mavic (which was unusable for Pro work in my opinion) but there are a lot left to be desired. All the different crop factors (almost every mode has a different crop factor, either slightly smaller, or a lot), the bitrate is on the lower side also (of course not on the original's ridiculous level) and the frames are not up to 2019 standards where 4K/60p will be the golden norm.

All in all, a huge upgrade from the Mavic 1 but not exactly the drone you can keep for more than a couple of years. I am confident that we are going to get a Zoom Pro with 1"/4K 60p/150Mbps but I am not sure if it can be possible really soon.

Until then, I am sticking to 2 Pro.

EDIT: Is 1080/120fps unusable, or I did something wrong?

I think this is a time that small drones have reached a certain price to performance ratio that is going to be very difficult to see huge differences in one year time.

There is going to be a price drop in Pantom when the next one will arrive -but the next one will be near 1999$€£ in my opinion. I do not see a bigger price drop than 100$€£ on the Mavic 2 Pro anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Any experience with filters?

I use the polar pro cinema ones and they have been great. Think I probably mentioned this somewhere before, but make sure you do +1 sharpening (turns off heavy NR filter), then be at least f/4-f/6ish if you want the sharpest image. I almost threw it out of my window when I first looked at the footage, it was mushy garbage lol. Need to do these 2 things to get a clean shot. 

6 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

I use the polar pro cinema ones and they have been great. Think I probably mentioned this somewhere before, but make sure you do +1 sharpening (turns off heavy NR filter), then be at least f/4-f/6ish if you want the sharpest image. I almost threw it out of my window when I first looked at the footage, it was mushy garbage lol. Need to do these 2 things to get a clean shot. 

Thanks bro! Yes, I set it something like +1/-1/1, and trying to be at 4-5.6f always.

So, it is PolarPro or nothing I guess..