DJI Mavic Pro II

wolf33d

3 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

As I've said earlier, the higher dynamic range quote is for HDR stills mode, the Ambarella SoCs are capable of interleaved exposure, essentially it's like Magic Lantern's "dual ISO" feature. On Mavic Air, HDR stills offer a DR of 13.2EV.

But 'dynamic range in HDR mode' just isnt a thing. And if it becomes a 'thing' you will soon have phones claiming 15 stops of DR. You are trying to measure the underlying DR of the sensor, not the DR you can 'create' through merging multiple exposure bracketed shots. If we go down this route we will also end up with incredible (as in unbelievable) iso performance due to median averaging and super high resolutions due to pixel shifting....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Robert Collins said:

But 'dynamic range in HDR mode' just isnt a thing. And if it becomes a 'thing' you will soon have phones claiming 15 stops of DR. You are trying to measure the underlying DR of the sensor, not the DR you can 'create' through merging multiple exposure bracketed shots. If we go down this route we will also end up with incredible (as in unbelievable) iso performance due to median averaging and super high resolutions due to pixel shifting....

Please read carefully, the HDR mode is achieved with a single exposure, through interleaved readout (alternating lines between high gain/low gain). Exposure bracketing is a separate feature.

Many Sony sensors have this feauture and recently introduced a second gen algorithm called Quad Bayer HDR.

7 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

Please read carefully, the HDR mode is achieved with a single exposure, through interleaved readout (alternating lines between high gain/low gain). Exposure bracketing is a separate feature.

Many Sony sensors have this feauture and recently introduced a second gen algorithm called Quad Bayer HDR.

The HDR capture mode available on the Mavic drones will capture multiple photos with different exposures, then automatically pull the “best” parts of each frame and merge them to produce the final high dynamic range image. This is done in-camera. Personally, I feel like the in-camera method produces a rather flat image. Most photographers agree and will use the alternative method, called AEB capture mode, for better results. The Phantom 4 Pro and the Mavic Pro/Platinum & Air all have AEB capture mode in the app settings.

https://djiphotoacademy.com/hdr-photos-with-your-dji-drone/

And as an aside combining high and low gain in a single exposure will not achieve higher dynamic range as the highest dynamic range of a sensor is achieved at its lowest gain.

12 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

Interesting.....Ken Booth on YouTube has released some Mavic-II Pro files right off the card for public download. His Mavic-II Pro has a good center and right side sharpness. However, the entire left side of his lens (the entire 1/3 left of his image) is WAY out of whack. It's very soft and clearly defective in a pretty bad way.

Guys,...when you get your Mavic-II Pros next week, pay VERY close attention to the manufacturing tolerances of your lens. INSPECT ALL SIDES CAREFULLY. You "could" be stuck with a bad left or right side like Ken Booth did. (His is an early copy and is going back) 

OK,....I'll say this out loud,....why did DJI delay the launch in a sudden, almost emergency manner? Production issues? Sorry,...I just HAD to say it. I'm only wondering out loud. It was prolly delayed because of something very small and simple. I'm sure it was nothing serious.

CT ?

I have had issues with a few Panasonic products (the GX85, 25mm f1.7 lens, etc), and with products form other manufacturers. It happens all the time. Quality control doesn't mean all products are perfect. Ken Booth can just send the product back for repair or replacement.

Was the Parrot Anafi or the Autel Evo that has a camera that leaned towards one side. And there are hundreds, if not thousands of products with that curious glitch.

It's not something that can be ignored. But the number of people affected by the issue will determine whether it's a one off, or a glitch epidemic. 

13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

A review by a Hasselblad sales executive, basically. I do like Ming, but it's like Atomos Jeromy reviewing his own monitor ;)

He's a superb photographer but not impartial on this.

Except that his numbers are more conservative than DXO Mark labs, that rates the same sensor for about 12.5 stops.

Nice, way to go DJI!

Gotta say, wasn't really all that impressed with the original. But I think the zoom adds a nice touch. I like the longer focal length and zoom function possible with this. Never much of a fan of the wide angle, unless it's top-down view. Too actioncammy. The 1" certainly seems to up the quality without having to rely on radical oversharpening, but I think I'd prefer the zoom. Obviously ideally you'd get a 1" zoom; that might be Mavic 3 series right there for ya. ?

5 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

Hi I just joined as you guys have been talking about what I have been looking into. 

Am I understanding correctly that what your saying is the 14 stops is in the HQ H265 HDR video mode and your not talking about usual HDR where it takes multiple bracket images 

Just got my II-Pro today. WOAH!,...the image quality is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the old Mavic Pro. Noise processing is fantastic. Shadows are clean and not washed out. No 15 frame temporal NR pulsing. If you add +1 on sharpness, noise reduction backs off even more. This camera looks VERY detailed on both FOV and HQ crop modes.

Even better news....the stability of this aircraft and it's ability to perform flawless yaw movements is like none other that I have flown. I have flown, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Phantom 4 Pro,  Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 and Inspire 2. This one is THE winner and is absolutely buttery smooooooth. Woah!

It's clear to me now that you can't judge any detail of this camera on YouTube. You have to download actual card files to really see this thing.

Will include some downloadable clips tonight. 

Waiting on my Zoom arrival tomorrow.

CT 

42 minutes ago, Cliff Totten said:

Just got my II-Pro today. WOAH!,...the image quality is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the old Mavic Pro. Noise processing is fantastic. Shadows are clean and not washed out. No 15 frame temporal NR pulsing. If you add +1 on sharpness, noise reduction backs off even more. This camera looks VERY detailed on both FOV and HQ crop modes.

Even better news....the stability of this aircraft and it's ability to perform flawless yaw movements is like none other that I have flown. I have flown, Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, Phantom 4 Pro,  Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 and Inspire 2. This one is THE winner and is absolutely buttery smooooooth. Woah!

It's clear to me now that you can't judge any detail of this camera on YouTube. You have to download actual card files to really see this thing.

Will include some downloadable clips tonight. 

Waiting on my Zoom arrival tomorrow.

CT 

I won’t open mine yet as I might return it and get it from a store with whom I have an insurance policy. Problem is this store doesn’t have the Mavic yet... so I wait with to box unopened lol.

Sounds good. Can you tell us if the HQ (crop mode) is way better than full FOV mode? Does it look pixel binned in full FOV or as good as HQ? Is 10 bit and log available in full FOV mode as well ? Than’s  

2 hours ago, wolf33d said:

I won’t open mine yet as I might return it and get it from a store with whom I have an insurance policy. Problem is this store doesn’t have the Mavic yet... so I wait with to box unopened lol.

Sounds good. Can you tell us if the HQ (crop mode) is way better than full FOV mode? Does it look pixel binned in full FOV or as good as HQ? Is 10 bit and log available in full FOV mode as well ? Than’s  

Here 'ya go.

Mavic-II Pro - UHD - 100mbp/s H.264 .mp4 container

Profile is "standard"  Sharpness +1   Contrast -3   Saturation 0

Both files are directly off the card and are short. One is Full "FOV" view and teh other is HQ crop view both on the exact same scene. (remember, the color is flat rec709)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1c-k4pnmzrEwuwfnumzATMr4W4o__iI7l?usp=sharing

This is the real thing.....Enjoy!!

CT

2 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

Here 'ya go.

Mavic-II Pro - UHD - 100mbp/s H.264 .mp4 container

Profile is "standard"  Sharpness +1   Contrast -3   Saturation 0

Both files are directly off the card and are short. One is Full "FOV" view and teh other is HQ crop view both on the exact same scene. (remember, the color is flat rec709)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1c-k4pnmzrEwuwfnumzATMr4W4o__iI7l?usp=sharing

This is the real thing.....Enjoy!!

CT

I assume both these files are 8 bit?

I was really looking forward to the mavic pro 2; sold the air, as I thought this would be miles better. I haven't been impressed by footage I have seen so far. Unless everyone who has made a video on it so far has messed up, it looks very very soft. The massive sensor cropping or pixel binning hell, isn't really what I had in mind. The P4P quality looks so much better sadly, I really don't want to cart a drone that big around when I travel though. Maybe an unsharp mask can fix it enough, I guess time will tell. 

2 hours ago, Snowbro said:

I was really looking forward to the mavic pro 2; sold the air, as I thought this would be miles better. I haven't been impressed by footage I have seen so far. Unless everyone who has made a video on it so far has messed up, it looks very very soft. The massive sensor cropping or pixel binning hell, isn't really what I had in mind. The P4P quality looks so much better sadly, I really don't want to cart a drone that big around when I travel though. Maybe an unsharp mask can fix it enough, I guess time will tell. 

I wonder whether the video from the Mavic 2 Pro has Very little sharpening in video, which may require some sharpening in post. It does downscale 8.3MP from 14.2856 MP (instead of from 20MP), but I suspect that may not be the problem. I guess the issues needs to be thoroughly investigated. 

I saw this, and apparently 4k on the Phantom 4 Pro isn't reading the entire sensor either. A crop factor may not be telling the entire story. 

https://forum.dji.com/thread-112902-2-1.html#post_984777

2 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Funnily enough, I have been reading things a little differently. Here is a comparison of the Mavic 2 Pro to the Phantom 4 Pro....

Lets leave aside the different white balance. Now I do agree that the Phantom 4 Pro footage is definitely 'sharper' than the Mavic 2 Pro. But I have to say I like the Mavic 2 Pro image better. I want to bring out the old cliche that the Mavic 2 Pro image looks more cinematic but actually to me the Phantom 4 Pro image just looks 'oversharpened'. However, these things are pretty subjective.

And while I say it is 'subjective' look at the sharpening artifacts on the train at around 1:48 of the Phantom 4 Pro video - it is a sure sign of 'oversharpening' (a constant problem with the Mavic Pro 1 because the other choice was blotchy noise reduction.)

All I can say is that if you look at @Cliff Totten Mavic 2 Pro footage which you can download here....

...they appear much sharper than Billy's with a sharpening setting of +1. Again I think they are a little too sharp but that is personal taste....