DJI Mavic Pro II

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
26 minutes ago, Matt Holder said:

Drones are becoming like tripods - its expected that you have one.

However...

when everyone is doing something its important to pivot. For example - Gimbals - got one, love it - but 90 % of the time my edelkrone slide has more impact and use in the edit. Its more precise but also has a different look to what everyone else is doing. Same with Drones - apart from my industrial progress shoot clients I generally only use them as a real quick intro and outro shot - and the shot has lost so much of its impact due to oversaturation of drone footage from everywhere. 

Maybe its time to go back to static shots?  The great news in all of this gear chasing - STORY and engagement are King (as they have always been) - dont expect clients or audiences to be wowwed by your drone footage anymore (like they were back in 2014)  - its just another angle now and the edit had better have a reason to use it.

Having said all of that - motion is great for creating 3 dimensionality in shots - and there are great opportunitites to use this for 3d motion capture to embed shots into your flying camera footage.

100%

I am a tripod user (not IBIS, not anything), a few aerial (just a few, especially in intro/outro and a couple in between) and a few Edelkrone shots here and there.

As of the Pocket4K remark, I am expecting to use my older cameras for most of my projects, don't see to shoot much in RAW, if any quite soon, but the 1" sensor in that form factor, is game changing.

39 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Great drone. I think DJI did a wonderful work. Really innovative company. Some camera manufacturers from Japan should take note... And DJI should release a FF mirrorless. 
Ordered one.

Yes. Me too.

In fact they told me I was the first person to order in Bangkok which is rather embarrassingly over enthusiastic. They have no idea when they will get stock....

2 hours ago, scotchtape said:

Wow, technology is crazy.  Only thing missing now is the image quality, still very droney but I guess you can't get everything.

I agree. Judging by purely the image quality, it seems to be pretty similar to the mavic, phantom, etc. Would love to change my mind, since the price and features seem awesome. 

Do you still need heavy ND filters to shoot 24p - 1/48 in the sun?

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I assume those are converted from RAW?

If the video looks as good as that I'll be impressed. I am sure it is pretty good though.

The stills are excellent and will be using it for that as well. The 1" sensor is much closer to a DSLR smoothness and dynamic range than the 1/2.3". The difference was apparent even in 2012 with the RX100.

I am guessing you're right, because most of their other photos on the site (Hasselblad's) too seem to be worked on, RAW photos, even though they mentioned somewhere that their collaboration with DJI was about colour accuracy in OOC photos, ready without (too much) post work. 

The Sony 1inch sensors seem have a lot of scope for performing HDR in both photo and video. That is really encouraging.

2 hours ago, SR said:

Guess I'll be getting one for my projects and selling off after a month or two. Kinda annoyed that the Pro version doesn't have zoom.

It does offer a lossless 1.5 crop mode in 4k though.

2 hours ago, BenEricson said:

I agree. Judging by purely the image quality, it seems to be pretty similar to the mavic, phantom, etc. Would love to change my mind, since the price and features seem awesome. 

Do you still need heavy ND filters to shoot 24p - 1/48 in the sun?

Less so with the 'Pro' becaujse it has a variable aperture lens. The 'zoom' is fixed aperture.

3 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I wonder when they will ship... still waiting for Ronin-S preorder...

Over at Mavicpilots.com, quite a few people are already saying their Mavic 2 has shipped.

3 hours ago, Roman Koenigshofer said:

What SD-Card is recommended to shoot Dlog-M (10bit) h265 in 4k?

Thanks!

All cards thay handle 100mbps on the Phantom 4 Pro in 15th opinion should be able to handle the 100mbps H.265 codec too. 

This is one of the early reviews (people are claiming theirs have shipped, so I am guessing Mavic 2s may also be available at various retailers). The video is too short to warrant a clear winner (between the Phantom 4 Pro and the Mavic 2 Pro) and the lighting situations and other things aren't much to chose from. I would put my money on the Mavic 2 Pro though. 

I do think that there are quite a few 'gotchas' in these specs which few people are talking about.

Probably most important - in Phillip Bloom's video, he states that 4k FOV (5.7k downrezzed to 4k using the whole sensor) records in 8 bit rather than 10 bit. You can get 4k 10 bit but only in 4k HQ mode (which is essentially a 1.5x crop using half the sensor.) Now its possible that Bloom was using preproduction firmware and this might change but I doubt it (I have looked in the instruction manual but there is no mention.)

This would be bad news. Either you use the full sensor and get 8 bit 4k or half the sensor (and lose a stop) and get 10 bit 4k. This isnt a dealbreaker for me but I suspect it might be for others.

3 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

I do think that there are quite a few 'gotchas' in these specs which few people are talking about.

Probably most important - in Phillip Bloom's video, he states that 4k FOV (5.7k downrezzed to 4k using the whole sensor) records in 8 bit rather than 10 bit. You can get 4k 10 bit but only in 4k HQ mode (which is essentially a 1.5x crop using half the sensor.) Now its possible that Bloom was using preproduction firmware and this might change but I doubt it (I have looked in the instruction manual but there is no mention.)

This would be bad news. Either you use the full sensor and get 8 bit 4k or half the sensor (and lose a stop) and get 10 bit 4k. This isnt a dealbreaker for me but I suspect it might be for others.

Saw that as well but probably his mistake. Can’t possibly imagine nobody else would have mentioned it. 

14 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Saw that as well but probably his mistake. Can’t possibly imagine nobody else would have mentioned it. 

Its possible - Bloom aint a  particularly technical guy.

But personally I think he is right. Why? Because if you read the specs in the manual you will see there are 2 4k modes.

4k FOV (presumably standing for 'field of view' meaning 'whole sensor') and (reported 5.7k downrezzed to 4k}.

4k HQ (And I can only assume the HQ stands for 'High Quality' and as its crop makes it 1:1 which implies less detail - I would pretty much bet that the HQ = 10 bit v 8bit)

Anyway that's my theory until someone says differently. It is also somewhat supported by the fact that 2.7k 60 and 1080 120 are heavily cropped from what I gather (which implies limitations on the processor.)

On a more positive note... this is very impressive....

6 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

It was a 1.3x crop I believe (I will check again). The MPP has a wider field of view than the P4P to begin with, so it may not be that wide. I hope someone compared that too. Or I will do a lil maths. 

Addition: the Crop is from a 77° Field of View to a 55° Field of View, meaning a 28.579 times crop. 

Now Before the Crop it was 28mm equivalent, so, after the Crop it be a 35.98 or 35-36mm equivalent.

I checked on B&H and these are the details of the Phantom 4 Pro:

"FOV (Field of View): 84°
Focal Length: 8.8 mm / 24 mm (35 mm format equivalent)"

So I guess the difference between the Mavic 2 Pro and Phantom 4 Pro may be a difference of 24mm to 35mm. That seems like a lot, as between the 2 Drones with 1inch sensors. Either DJI did it to protect the Phantom line or it did it because downsampling may have had issues in the HQ mode, or more likely, because the sensors may Not be the same, and the one in the Mavic may have 10-bit video, in a 1.3 times crop mode.

1 hour ago, Luke Mason said:

4k full FOV is not full sensor readout, in thise mode 5.7K is pixel-binned to produce 4K. In HQ mode it's a 1:1 crop of the sensor.

Are you sure 4k FOV is 'pixel binned' as opposed to 'downrezzed'? Not questioning whether you are right or wrong - I simply dont know. It doesnt make a lot of sense in video terms to produce a 1 inch 20mp sensor and then 'pixel bin' half the pixels for video. But this maybe a choice that DJI have made... (I mean now you are  effectively telling me that there is no full sensor read out for video at all - you have a choice between 'pixel binning' or 'cropping'. Not the end of the world but we are getting to the stage that we dont really have a true 1" sensor for video in the first place.)