DJI Mavic Pro II

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, sanveer said:

I am curious as to how the Mavic 2 Pro compared in video to the Phantom 4 Pro, especially considering it now had 10-bit video and possibly a sharper Hasselblad Lens.

Would love to see a dynamic range and sharpness face-off at 4k and in Photo Mode. 

I would expect it to surpass it. Certainly does on paper. Apart from 4K 60P I see no reason to get the Phantom... I hate the form factor!

Nice overview Andrew. First I must say that I was wrong about DJI since I didn't believe they could implement a one inch sensor camera on a Mavic size drone. That's an amazing achievement.

A few remarks:
- Range: the radio range depends of the background radio noise and depends of the location. In urban environment the RF pollution limits the range as many wifi and smartphone networks pollute the 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz band which are the two bands use by most drone these days (Autel used the 900MHz before but they stopped due to legal reasons). Also, DJI and Parrot (anafi) limit the power output based on the GPS location of the drone (CE mode is much weaker than the FCC mode) which is why many pilots in Europe can't even reach a 25% of the range of US pilots. There is a way t hack this relatively easily though.
Finally, the radio technology plays a big role. I recently review the Parrot Anafi and the Autel EVO and they can't do half of the range of the Mavic Pro. All of them are using 2.4  but DJI OcuSync technology has a much better signal treatment algorithm and noise rejection filter. So you can have big differences even when drones use the same band.

- 120fps: I review the Air and Pro and the 120fps is pure garbage. On the Mavic Air the 2.7/60 and 1080/60 crop a lot so we'll have to check that on the Mavic 2. The 4k60 mode on the Phantom 5 is also not as good as the 4k/30.

- D-Log: DJI changed their Log curve many times on the Phantom based on the firmware update. D-log consistency is a mess and is often not very good. The Mavic Pro IQ was horrible (i sold mine after a week of use) due to the miserable bitrate and compression artifacts every 6 frames. Surprisingly the P3 video was much better with the same bitrate.

- Flight time: all manufacturer lies bluntly about flight time. I reviewed many drones and you can easily remove 20 to 25% of the official value. The Air is closer to 15-16min than 21min. The Mavic is 23-24. Same thing for the Autel EVO. Only the Anafi gets kind of close of the advertised value but not entirely.

In the end I bought the Air and I really like it (despite the bad Wifi radio technology and the check gimbal wheel on the controller). I did some great video and the IQ is not that bad. The 100 mbps helps but the lens is much softer than the Mavic Pro which was way too sharp anyway. The only issue with the Air is the presence of noise even at base ISO. Nothing dramatic but it's there. I'll try to get my hands on the Mavic 2.

Damn, 10-bit, 1" sensor on the compact Mavic chassis. This will be my first real drone. I get the feeling we're about to see an onslaught of dolly zoom shots as well. Worth it though. Great job DJI.

5 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Our review is live! Been so hard reading these posts and keeping my mouth shut the last month!! 

Great job.

Chris

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

I would expect it to surpass it. Certainly does on paper. Apart from 4K 60P I see no reason to get the Phantom... I hate the form factor!

Wow. That would be pretty amazing, if it can. I guess DJI has seriously re-invented the drone (sensor size, form factor n codec).

And I agree, the Phantom is just cumbersome and almost unyielding.  

17 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Is it for sale in Europe?

This makes me a lot more excited than the BMP4K camera. This is what we were waiting for.

This makes me a lot more excited than the BMP4K camera. This is what we were waiting for.

You could check. The DJI site claims to have delivery immediately after payment (whatever that means). 

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Is cooling a problem in drones? Surely not.

Thermals are definitely an issue with a drone. The batteries run down pretty fast on top of the original Mavic and get pretty hot. The original Mavic had a large metal heatsink on the bottom which would also get hot (almost too hot too touch.) This heatsink has been removed from the Mavic 2 (by the looks of it) to make room for additional sensors. 

So the lack of 4k/60 might be thermal related or it might simply be tied to product segmentation.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Are you going to attach it to a pistol grip and use it like a normal camera? :)

26 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Are you going to attach it to a pistol grip and use it like a normal camera? :)

I think there were two near future products that were left out of the presentation.

1) A small gimbal to attach the camera unit. We have already seen a photo (although not a very good one.)

dji-mavic-2-leak.jpg.91e9878068738177ccec7aa75d2b9ee5.jpg

2) A Mavic 2 controller with a built in 5.5 inch crystalsky monitor - needed because smartphone screens arent bright enough in bright sunlight.

Overall I think DJI is innovating fast enough that they maybe a major player in the hybrid mirrorless market within 5 years.

I remembered the Inspire launching. They actually shot with it handheld for some shots of a short.

Also recently saw it on a YT channel with a Mavic Air. So... it's actually a thing.

And in cuntries like Austria... you're better off like that anyways. They don't like you flying such things around here... it's messed up what you gotta go through to be able to.

6 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

1) A small gimbal to attach the camera unit. We have already seen a photo (although not a very good one.)

Wow. I don't know why, but I believe the camera in this is very capable. I also wished it had a removable camera unit (like on the ill fated Karma Drone), because it could easily outshine many DSLRs for video with those specs. Even the photos (apart from the video) taken from the Mavic 2 Pro are pretty amazing. 

Go to Download Sample Images and check the image quality. I find them pretty great (not oversharpened, and with superb colours).

https://www.hasselblad.com/collaborations/dji-mavic-2-pro/

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Go to Download Sample Images and check the image quality. I find them pretty great (not oversharpened, and with superb colours).

https://www.hasselblad.com/collaborations/dji-mavic-2-pro/

I assume those are converted from RAW?

If the video looks as good as that I'll be impressed. I am sure it is pretty good though.

The stills are excellent and will be using it for that as well. The 1" sensor is much closer to a DSLR smoothness and dynamic range than the 1/2.3". The difference was apparent even in 2012 with the RX100.

Drones are becoming like tripods - its expected that you have one.

However...

when everyone is doing something its important to pivot. For example - Gimbals - got one, love it - but 90 % of the time my edelkrone slide has more impact and use in the edit. Its more precise but also has a different look to what everyone else is doing. Same with Drones - apart from my industrial progress shoot clients I generally only use them as a real quick intro and outro shot - and the shot has lost so much of its impact due to oversaturation of drone footage from everywhere. 

Maybe its time to go back to static shots?  The great news in all of this gear chasing - STORY and engagement are King (as they have always been) - dont expect clients or audiences to be wowwed by your drone footage anymore (like they were back in 2014)  - its just another angle now and the edit had better have a reason to use it.

Having said all of that - motion is great for creating 3 dimensionality in shots - and there are great opportunitites to use this for 3d motion capture to embed shots into your flying camera footage.