DJI Mavic Pro II

wolf33d

4K60p is so important in a Camera for me I am so bad only the GH5/1DX have it. 

In a drone however for me it's just a nice to have. Would have been great, but 1" 4K30p 10 bit in a Mavic size package is what I am asking since the Phantom 4 Pro release. Of course it could do 4K60P but the Phantom has to exist. They fucked up. IMO it should be: 

Mavic Air : small sensor small portable drone 

Mavic Pro : 1" sensor what it is with the 2 but with 4K60P

Phantom 4 Pro : upgrade to M43 sensor

Inspire: what it is, which means APSC sensor. 

I am pretty sure the P5 will be M43 sensor, and then the Mavic Pro 3 will have 4K60P.... It is how it is, marketing segmentation and so on.... 

Having 2.7K60p for when slowmo is needed (rarely on a drone) is better than nothing. 

Now with this Mavic Pro 2 I just need Sony or Canon (it's dead for Nikon with the Z6/7) to release a 4K60p FF mirrorless and I am good to go. Until next year :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

When I see the DJI line-up, I feel DJI is so far ahead of the competition, it's shameful for the competition. The only hope is someone poaching DJI employees into their company and making drones at all price points.

The 10-bit video on the Mavic 2 Pro has me super excited. I am very curious to see how it compares to video from cameras like the Sony A Series and Pansonic's GH Series. Also it said 100mbps somewhere. I wonder if it is in H265, and if it possible at that low bitrate. 

52 minutes ago, sanveer said:

The 10-bit video on the Mavic 2 Pro has me super excited. I am very curious to see how it compares to video from cameras like the Sony A Series and Pansonic's GH Series. Also it said 100mbps somewhere. I wonder if it is in H265, and if it possible at that low bitrate. 

Don't forget the sensor size difference. It is huge!

And 100mbps is still a very limited bitrate, both in H265, and even worst in H264.

This is going to be a Phantom replacement, and the Phantom is moving up to more Pro use or very advanced (and rich!) amateur's. As it should be. There is no need to carry large Phantom's around with tiny sensors. That was too primitive!

3 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Don't forget the sensor size difference. It is huge!

And 100mbps is still a very limited bitrate, both in H265, and even worst in H264.

This is going to be a Phantom replacement, and the Phantom is moving up to more Pro use or very advanced (and rich!) amateur's. As it should be. There is no need to carry large Phantom's around with tiny sensors. That was too primitive!

The dynamic range difference between the 1inch Sony sensors and the top M43s (except perhaps the GH5s), is about 0.5 stops. Also, Sony uses the Slog brilliantly in its video codec implementation, pushing dynamic range very close to stills territory (for their A Series). 

If this sensor can be pushed by the HDR or DLog + 10-bit codec (actually even the 8-bit handled well TBO), then it could reach or come close to 12 stops in video. That would be better a lot of ILCs for video out there (even the GH5 does under 11.5 stops in video).

Like you mentioned, the 100mbps even in H.265 may be the weak link. 

46 minutes ago, sanveer said:

The dynamic range difference between the 1inch Sony sensors and the top M43s (except perhaps the GH5s), is about 0.5 stops. Also, Sony uses the Slog brilliantly in its video codec implementation, pushing dynamic range very close to stills territory (for their A Series). 

According to DJI X4S is 11.8 stop and X5S is 12.8 stops, so more like 1 stop DR.

34 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

I don't see 100mbps the weak link if H.265. People here do not seem to realize H.265 efficiency compared to H.264.

100mbps H.265 is perfect balance of quality/weight imo. 

I own 2 NX1 and 1 NX500 cameras. I do know.

I was refereeing to @sanveer's hypothetical comparison of an 1" sensor with top full frame and even m43 mirrorless cameras. I wish they have similar quality, but I am not expecting it to be true, that could potentially cannibalize higher DJI products sales also. 

Finally we are leaving the ultra small sensors, I would expect DJI to take (and profit gradually from it) a step at the time, and they will, as noone can beat them to innovation right now, so why to offer everything right now?

44 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

I don't see 100mbps the weak link if H.265. People here do not seem to realize H.265 efficiency compared to H.264.

100mbps H.265 is perfect balance of quality/weight imo.

I agree with you. The average IQ (of people) in these forums is rather low ???

H.265 is at best, twice the efficiency per bit of H.264. The Panasonic GH5 has 400mbps in H.264 for 10-bit 4k. Which, for some people is still less, for the sheer amount of colour information needed. I am not sure how DJI will be able to pull off the 10-bit 4k at 1/2 (less) the amount of information/efficiency. 

19 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

According to DJI X4S is 11.8 stop and X5S is 12.8 stops, so more like 1 stop DR

Those figures dont make much sense. Could you post the links to these figures? 

I am comparing stills RAW with Stills RAW. According to DXO Mark it is 12.5 for the Phantom 4 (which is most likely the same sensor).

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/DJI/Phantom4-Pro

For the X4S (12.6 stops):

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/DJI/Zenmuse-X4S

For the X5S (12.7 stops):

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/DJI/Zenmuse-X5S

40 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Those figures dont make much sense. Could you post the links to these figures? 

I am comparing stills RAW with Stills RAW. According to DXO Mark it is 12.5 for the Phantom 4 (which is most likely the same sensor).

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/DJI/Phantom4-Pro

For the X4S (12.6 stops):

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/DJI/Zenmuse-X4S

For the X5S (12.7 stops):

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/DJI/Zenmuse-X5S

Its on DJI website, oops its actually 11.6 stop according to DJI on X4s and Phantom 4 Pro/Advanced

https://www.dji.com/zenmuse-x4s

https://www.dji.com/zenmuse-x5s

7 hours ago, Kisaha said:

For 4K30 h.264 is plenty for anything besides D-Log IMHO. It's really quite beautiful on the P4P if you just do a "regular" flat setting... Lots of detail and plenty of dynamic range and color info.

8 hours ago, sanveer said:

The 10-bit video on the Mavic 2 Pro has me super excited... Also it said 100mbps somewhere. I wonder if it is in H265, and if it possible at that low bitrate. 

The 10 bit 1080p is 50Mbps on the FS5, so it should be fine for 4K with 100Mbps h.265 (equivalent of 200Mbps h.264) since it's 4x the equivalent bitrate for 4x the pixels.

The fact that the bitrate is the only leaked spec and that it doesn't mention HEVC/h.265 really worries me, though. If it's left off then I won't be able to replace my P4P with it ?

• Administrators

This thing poses a dilemma for me, because the day it gets announced, my Mavic Air turned up!

The image seems good in 10bit D-LOG from Bloom's video.

The Hasselblad 'colour science' and association is pure marketing trickery by the looks of it though.

What do you guys think?

Return Mavic Air and get this?

23 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Nice video sir.

How's compression in 10bit H.265? Are the lows blocky or do you just see a nice fine grain?

I need to do more extensive testing, but I feel like my old Phantom 4 Pro had a better image than the M2 Pro. BUT the M2 Pro is good enough to justify making it your primary drone. 

There was noise in the image for sure from the compression. But when you  aren't pixel peeping and look at it from a distance it looks really rich and sharp. 

• Administrators

It's a bit strange the old Phantom 4 Pro shoots 4K 60p from such a similar 1" sensor, maybe even same one, and this doesn't.

Is cooling a problem in drones? Surely not.

Other than that, I am in love with what it's capable of and form factor.

I am curious as to how the Mavic 2 Pro compared in video to the Phantom 4 Pro, especially considering it now had 10-bit video and possibly a sharper Hasselblad Lens.

Would love to see a dynamic range and sharpness face-off at 4k and in Photo Mode.