DJI Mavic Pro II

wolf33d

Anyone has any idea how many stops of dynamic range in video the Phantom 4 advanced has?

Also, I am curious whether the Mavic 2 Pro will have a mechanical shutter like the Phantom 4 Advanced? 

6 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

That Mavic Pro loos like the drone that will finally bring together great IQ with portability, this will be my first real drone.

Chris

This may be my first drone too. It does seem promising.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, sanveer said:

Anyone has any idea how many stops of dynamic range in video the Phantom 4 advanced has?

Also, I am curious whether the Mavic 2 Pro will have a mechanical shutter like the Phantom 4 Advanced? 

This may be my first drone too. It does seem promising.

11.8 stops according to DJI  12.8 for X5S

15 hours ago, ntblowz said:

11.8 stops according to DJI  12.8 for X5S

Thanks 

14 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Just a guess. But as it is a 'Hasselblad' camera there is a fair chance it will come with a 'leaf shutter'

Oh ok. That would be interesting. 

21 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Just a guess. But as it is a 'Hasselblad' camera there is a fair chance it will come with a 'leaf shutter'

Yes but aren't they really limited to slower shutter speeds. I mean like 1/2000th or less? Not too big of a problem for video, but for photos, not so hot.

https://improvephotography.com/44427/what-is-a-leaf-shutter/

Sony Rx1 has leaf shutter with sync to 1/4000 ... as long as the aperture is 5.6 ... speeds fall to 1/2000 at max aperture.

Most non-leaf shutter cameras sync at 1/125 or slower so no, actually a boon for photos ... if you are using strobes.

And a few photographers actually use ND filters.

12 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yes but aren't they really limited to slower shutter speeds. I mean like 1/2000th or less? Not too big of a problem for video, but for photos, not so hot.

https://improvephotography.com/44427/what-is-a-leaf-shutter/

They definitely limited to slower speeds of say 1/2000th.

But I dont see that as a problem for 'stills' with a 'drone'. The shutter limitation of 1/2000th of a second for stills only really occurs when you are trying to use a very fast lens - say 85 1.4 - 'wide open' in 'bright sunlight'. If you stop down to f5.6 you wont have a problem. You are not trying to get shallow dof with a drone. And I assuming the Mavic Pro has variable aperture.

One should consider the perspective of the drone with regards to DR.

Usually a ground based photographer fights the highlights from above the horizon and the sky ... trying to account for their differential from the main subject in the foreground. But much drone video is looking down without a large component from the sky ... and when it does include the sky the ground is somewhat secondary and can fall into the darker areas of exposure. So 11.8 to 12.8 will be more than adequate ... the difficulty is in judging exposure from the viewpoint of the pilot ... the better the monitor the more likely to find the appropriate aperture and iso. 

I think that the viewpoint is so engaging ... we tend to accept good not great footage from an exposure standpoint as the other elements are so engaging.

My only concern with the leaked photos is the rectangular aspect of the lens housing ... calls for yet another set of dedicated ND filters. Hope Polarpro had an early sample to formulate new ones.

2 hours ago, docmoore said:

My only concern with the leaked photos is the rectangular aspect of the lens housing ... calls for yet another set of dedicated ND filters. Hope Polarpro had an early sample to formulate new ones.

Yes, Polar Pro will be among the first one to get the drone and design new filters.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Looks like Mavic 2 announcement is August 23rd (same day as Nikon Mirrorless.)

It would be Absolutely Hilarious if DJI actually releases a mirrorless ILC camera module based on the DJI Zenmuse X7 with IBIS and weather sealing and something that shoots ProRes Or 10-bit H264/265. If they added 15fps to that list, along with their lightweight lens line-up, Nikon would probably never bring this camera to the market (like it did with its 1inch camera range). It could also challenge Sony and Canon, and push ILCs to get more serious about video (like the Panasonic and Sony ones).

6 hours ago, sanveer said:

It would be Absolutely Hilarious if DJI actually releases a mirrorless ILC camera module based on the DJI Zenmuse X7 with IBIS and weather sealing and something that shoots ProRes Or 10-bit H264/265. If they added 15fps to that list, along with their lightweight lens line-up, Nikon would probably never bring this camera to the market (like it did with its 1inch camera range). It could also challenge Sony and Canon, and push ILCs to get more serious about video (like the Panasonic and Sony ones).

Well the OSMO for X5s/X4/X7 is still not happening (nearly 2 years ago they promised but nothing so far!) , so I doubt it will ever see the day, since all their cpu is on the main airframe of the drone is which is a lot bigger than camera body.

7 hours ago, sanveer said:

Anything DJI does will not have an impact on Nikon in any way, regardless of spec. The x7 in a regular body, even an cube like the Blackmagic Micro, would be competition for Blackmagic, Zcam and even Panasonic - but certainly not Nikon. They could make that space more interesting by providing another option, but I don't think they can even match the price/spec of the upcoming Blackmagic P4k, that's going to set the bar pretty high.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears the Mavic 2 Pro is gonna one hell of a beast. If you look at the specs pic carefully, you will notice that it has 10bit DLOG and HLG, a variable f2.8-11 aperture, 31 mins flying time and 1080p at 120fps. Apparently it will also have some kind of photo time lapse feature coming later (I read it in one of the of the discussions). I hope the pricing isn't too much. This is going be One Insane drone. 

Source:

https://dronedj.com/2018/08/22/specifications-leaked-comparing-dji-mavic-2-pro-zoom-vs-the-mavic-pro/

DJI-Mavic-2-Zoom-and-Pro-SPecifications-Leaked_DSF3679-copy.jpg

9 minutes ago, sanveer said:

It appears the Mavic 2 Pro is gonna one hell of a beast. If you look at the specs pic carefully, you will notice that it has 10bit DLOG and HLG, a variable f2.8-11 aperture, 31 mins flying time and 1080p at 120fps. Apparently it will also have some kind of photo time lapse feature coming later (I read it in one of the of the discussions). I hope the pricing isn't too much. This is going be One Insane drone. 

Source:

https://dronedj.com/2018/08/22/specifications-leaked-comparing-dji-mavic-2-pro-zoom-vs-the-mavic-pro/

DJI-Mavic-2-Zoom-and-Pro-SPecifications-Leaked_DSF3679-copy.jpg

Great specs. Although note that 60p is limited to 2.7k rather than 4k as some people expected.

I am pretty sure that the 'photo timelapse' you refer to is 'hyperlapse'. I think we are going to get a 'hyperlapse' mode because there are two hyperlapses in the promo video. You can actually do hyperlapse with the existing Mavic Pro but it is a little complicated and very 'klunky'.

Also excited by APAS and Activetracking 2.0 as well as a possible gimbal.

My expectations for the Mavic Pro 2 are extremely high but DJI rarely disappoints. I expect the price to be higher but hopefully not insane.

5 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

Great specs. Although note that 60p is limited to 2.7k rather than 4k as some people expected.

I am pretty sure that the 'photo timelapse' you refer to is 'hyperlapse'. I think we are going to get a 'hyperlapse' mode because there are two hyperlapses in the promo video. You can actually do hyperlapse with the existing Mavic Pro but it is a little complicated and very 'klunky'.

Also excited by APAS and Activetracking 2.0 as well as a possible gimbal.

My expectations for the Mavic Pro 2 are extremely high but DJI rarely disappoints. I expect the price to be higher but hopefully not insane.

4k 60p would have been sweet. But I guess the 10-bit in video seems more exciting. I also suspect the hyperlapse mode, though I wonder how long it needs to be in flight for.

I am also most eagerly looking forward yo know the price. Hopefully in another 24 hours or so, we should know. 

7 minutes ago, sanveer said:

4k 60p would have been sweet. But I guess the 10-bit in video seems more exciting. I also suspect the hyperlapse mode, though I wonder how long it needs to be in flight for.

I am also most eagerly looking forward yo know the price. Hopefully in another 24 hours or so, we should know. 

Yep.I will definitely take 2.7k/60p 10 bit over 4k/60p 8 bit any day.Hopefully the codec is much improved over the way that the Mavic pro handles sharpening/NR.

I have done hyperlapse with the Mavic Pro before but it is somewhat limited by the flight time and the need to do a prerun in waypoint mode before. Also the app on my Crystalsky limits photos to once every 10secs as opposed to once every 2secs on the smartphone. At once every 2 secs you are looking at a 1 second hyperlapse for every one minute of flight  time.

The rumored price tag for the Mavic 2 Pro is US$1499 for the basic kit. That is a 50% price increase over the Mavic. While this sounds a lot I think it is pretty 'fair' based on the rumored specs.

1 hour ago, Robert Collins said:

Yep.I will definitely take 2.7k/60p 10 bit over 4k/60p 8 bit any day.Hopefully the codec is much improved over the way that the Mavic pro handles sharpening/NR.

I have done hyperlapse with the Mavic Pro before but it is somewhat limited by the flight time and the need to do a prerun in waypoint mode before. Also the app on my Crystalsky limits photos to once every 10secs as opposed to once every 2secs on the smartphone. At once every 2 secs you are looking at a 1 second hyperlapse for every one minute of flight  time.

The rumored price tag for the Mavic 2 Pro is US$1499 for the basic kit. That is a 50% price increase over the Mavic. While this sounds a lot I think it is pretty 'fair' based on the rumored specs.

Actually the Phantom 4 Pro was launched at $1499, so considering the reduction in size (added portability), 10-bit codecs (HLG and DLOG) and the improved obstacle avoidance and battery life itself justify the higher cost.

Actually, if Parrot and others didn't release their various drone in the last few weeks, DJI could have priced these drones even higher.