Which Compact Flash card for 5D Mark III raw video?

Andrew Reid

Just got my Komputerbay 64GB 1000x from Amazon and did a benchmark with my 5Dmk2.

At 16384k I only got 70.1 MB/s and 70.6 MB/s. Recording 1880x720. This seems abnormally, crazily low. Anybody have a

suggestion or recommendation. Am I testing incorrectly? Send card back I guess? Thanks in advance...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Would be interesting to see if deep level formatting of the CF-cards would increase writing performance and stability aswell. Not seeing it being discussed, but from what I read elsewhere this can really can impact the performance.

I don't have these cards myself yet, and this example is measured when photographing, so not directly comparable. Reading from this review the performance hit with the Transcend 1000x CF-card after deep formatting seemes interesting (note: read the whole review amazon review. he tests without the deep level formatting first).

http://www.amazon.com/review/R30PLZ4AKGMFA6/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B009S61ADS&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

A helpful warning to others using an EX-FAT formatted Komputerbay 64GB 150mb/s 1000x card on (certain) Macbook Pro's and Mac Pro's. I received my 64GB card and formatted it EX-Fat on my Windows PC to avoid the 4GB file limit.

I recorded a few shots of RAW footage but then the camera could not communicate with the card anymore. I tried formatting in camera but it wouldn't. Then I tried to use Disk Utility on my Mac but nothing worked. I also tried formatting the card on my PC but it saw no more than 32 MB.

I called Komputerbay and they said there was an issue with 64GB cards being corrupted on Mac's. They were very helpful and we tried to restore the card with software they suggested but to no avail. I can return the card and get a replacement or refund.

When I get my replacement I will dump the footage on my Windows pc and then transfer to my Mac for editing. Try to avoid connecting the 64GB card to your Mac (apparently the 32GB and 128GB cards don't have this problem) until they solve this issue.

(Worst thing is I never got to see my first RAW video@!##!!)

What eveyone running the ML benchmarks need to bear in mind is whether live view is on or off. When it is off, your write and read speeds will be much faster, showing you the true write and read speed of the card.

My Komputerbay 1000x 64GB cards are faster than my Lexar 10000x 64GB card. Live view off I hit a peak write speed of 118.9MB/s, read speed of 150MB/s. With live on I hit a peak write speed of 95.5MB/s and a read speed of 121.8MB/s. I think I got lucky with an extremely fast batch of cards.

First off, I would like to thank you guys for putting together this guide. I am having a problem with installing the ML onto my 5Dmark 3. I am running windows. Using the 64gig 1000x komputer card. I have followed the steps in the guide to the tee (1.13 firmware), and when I load the ML on to the card and use EOScard, then try installing the firmware, it just hangs and says it cannot find the firmware. I then I have to take out the battery out to get the camera to function again. I noticed that my card is exFat (image in the guide shows the card is FAT32). Is that the problem? If so, how do I fix that problem?

Thanks!

Henry

@JHines thanks for mentioning that, I was averaging 84MB/s write and 110MB/s in live view mode and now I am averaging 107.2MB/s Write and 137.3 Read speed as measured by Magic Lantern's benchmark card test.

Nice. That's pretty much as good as it gets right now speed wise. I'm stoked on my 64GB Komputerbay cards. Hopefully they hold up over time, if not they come with a lifetime warranty according to Komputerbay so they should be able to be replaced if something were to happen. I bought 6 different 128GB Komputerbay cards hoping I'd find a fast one but had no luck finding any performance near what the 64GB cards write and read at. The best 128GB I've tested so far has been the Transcend 1000x. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've bought 5 Komputerbay 1000x 64gb cards and I've currently been doing benchmark tests all day. 

One was DOA. The results with the others I'm getting aren't too great to be honest. The best performance from one of the cards at buffer=16384k was 88 MB/s.

The tests were conducted in movie mode, 1920x1080 25p, global draw on (Focus peak).

Am I performing the test correctly?

VRAM9.BMP

• Administrators

I got my komputerbay card working great now and thought I would share a raw vs H.264 video with you guys.

http://www.learningdslrvideo.com/magic-lantern-raw-vs-h-264/

(sorry I could not figure out how to embed the video here.)

Dave

I'm on my third 64GB 1000x komputerbay now and all of them are nothing short of FAST. Very little variation in performance.

• Administrators

Im averaging 70mbs write w/ my komputerbay 64gb 1000x card w/ my 5d mk3  Pretty upsetting, i need to return/exchange it.

If you have a problem like this on the 64GB card it's likely you have a load of Magic Lantern features enabled such as focus peaking, anamorphic squeeze, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a guide that will show you how to benchmark your card for 5th grade brains like me?

It's really disheartening to know that I'm going to have to gamble with Komputerbay cards until I get one that writes above 100mbs. Ideally I'd keep playing until I got one that peaked at 120mbs. 

Has Komputerbay been able to sort out what exactly causes the differences in write speeds? 

The moment someone comes along and provides a card that GUARANTEES good write speeds I will be violently throwing my money in their faces.

I'm willing to pay decent change to get a good write speed, I just wish I didn't have to gamble for it -.-