Instagram Launches Streaming Service

User

12 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Which presents a challenge or opportunity I suppose in how to adapt or adobt for many people if they want to create content for it.

This doesn't just mean for your own content for an Instagram channel but if you're looking to produce content for it for other people.

A lot of the YT people I watch are professional youtubers, and I listen with interest when they reveal how they make their money (I am interested in business models).

They typically have a business plan that has multiple revenue streams, but relies on creating quality content that gets lots of eyeballs, then using those to:

• get sponsorships for posts
  • sell their own merchandise (t-shirts, hats etc)
  • get affiliate income from amazon via equipment links ("I made this cinematic video with these pieces of equipment... <link> <link> <link> <link> <link> <link>")
  • sell their own LUTs, Lightroom presets ("get the same look at this cinematic video you just watched")
  • sell courses they've created (how to do video-related thing course / how to podcast)
  • sell themselves on Patreon (not really compatible with the above)

There's always an acknowledgement that getting in early to a platform gives you the best chance to build a following, so there will be a huge groundswell of these people trying to build an audience, which will mean that the platform will have a huge amount of quality content on it almost immediately.

Vloggers often meet up with each other (at sponsored events, product launches, conferences, etc) and you get to see BTS on other vloggers channels through these.  One thing I've noted that is interesting is that the RX100 style cameras are very popular with people who produce instagram content and they use them vertically.  

If you thought YT was disposable content then you're in for a shock about how disposable Instagram Stories - they automatically disappear after 24-hours, yet some people record them in 4K vertically, edit in PP/FCPX to music, and grade them before uploading.  The comments from those people is that Instagram Stories are easier to do well in because it's the same work as a YT video but there are less people willing to edit and grade so you don't have to be as good to be in the highest quality content creators.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I sponsor 5 people on on Patreon. All YTers, either RVers or Sail Boaters. I can see how they can do what they do with not a lot of people paying their way. At 2 bucks a video or more it doesn't take tons of people to make good money. And like you say a lot of them get free gear from sponsors, and even individual people that have good money.

Included in the intro is "so this is based on that instagram TV update that everyone is excited about"

This guy does heaps of tutorials for editing and especially breaks down heavy video processing from music videos and the like.  I'd say he's probably hooked into the trendy end of the independent film-maker segment with people who make less traditional media.

16 hours ago, jonpais said:

In the 11 years I’ve lived in Asia, it’s never ceased to amaze me how few people have landscape mode enabled on their phones. Many don’t even seem to know where it’s at.

I thought you just turned the Phone on it's side LoL.

9 hours ago, jonpais said:

I used to think so too! But I think you’ve got to enable landscape mode on iPhones. Not sure about other devices.

I think you are mistaken. It seems it is only if you want your Home Screen to be in either mode. Not for Photos, Videos, eh I think LoL. ?

https://www.macworld.com/article/2987101/iphone-ipad/how-to-turn-off-or-turn-on-landscape-mode-on-the-iphone-6-plus-and-6s-plus-home-screen.html