Instagram Launches Streaming Service

User

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 hours ago, kaylee said:

everyone calls instagram insta it should be instaTV ?

- It's a good thing we've got your here to keep us old dogs hip :)

2 hours ago, Damphousse said:

Vertical video ONLY!

So completely useless for me. 

Absolutely.

6 hours ago, Damphousse said:

Vertical video ONLY!

So completely useless for me.

Wow.  So, not a competitor to YT then....   well, unless there's data suggesting that people are now moving to vertical mobile use?

I don't say that to be funny - I remember watching an early talk about how mobile was taking over PCs and the guy put up a huge number on the screen (it was over a thousand) and said that  the number was how many people had used eBay on their mobile phone to buy a Ferrari.  As I am a bit of a laggard with tech I was shocked, but now I've caught up so it doesn't seem so silly.  Maybe it's one of those things that the kids are doing and we don't know about yet?

In a way vertical video makes sense because people are taller than they are wide, and most short-lifespan social media video contains only one person.

• Super Members

A lot of ad boards in shops etc are showing vertical video content either on a portrait oriented display or as twin content arrangement (with info on the right) in a landscape oriented display.

This is especially prominent in clothing and cosmetic stores, probably as a continuity of a traditional magazine format that those ads would be seen in if they were in print.

Instagram is very big with fashion influencers so its quite a natural fit from that point of view as well as from those pesky youngsters tending to shoot everything in general in vertical mode.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

A lot of ad boards in shops etc are showing vertical video content either on a portrait oriented display or as twin content arrangement (with info on the right) in a landscape oriented display.

This is especially prominent in clothing and cosmetic stores, probably as a continuity of a traditional magazine format that those ads would be seen in if they were in print.

Instagram is very big with fashion influencers so its quite a natural fit from that point of view as well as from those pesky youngsters tending to shoot everything in general in vertical mode.

And airports display flight information on portrait oriented monitors.

That is a lot of mental gymnastics to justify such a quirky decision.  The youtube market is huge.  The "fashion influencers" who solely shoot vertically market?  ehh...

It also might be an interesting way to not directly compete with YT, at least at the start.

I'm pretty sure that there's a clear progression about who adopts a new social media platform first.  IIRC it's something like the kids go first (as they're always searching for something new where the adults aren't hanging out), then the 'cool' people (as they're often associated with the kids, or just like new shiny things), and then the people who follow the cool people, and then the people who follow those people, and then everyones grandma.

It sounds like they might have a natural fit with the first two, which you would need if you were going to go up against the YT behemoth.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Damphousse said:

And airports display flight information on portrait oriented monitors.

That is a lot of mental gymnastics to justify such a quirky decision.  The youtube market is huge.  The "fashion influencers" who solely shoot vertically market?  ehh...

I was mainly musing about the format in general to be honest and I meant them as separate entities to be fair rather than the whole driver behind the decision. 

The first being a general observation regarding an increasing amount of non consumer created content being shot in a vertical format, so there is commercial content for Instagram TV. The last part of the linked post referenced future ad content so I meant it in reference to that.

The second being that the user generated content from their most active creators (the younger end of the market using smartphones to shoot on) are more than likely shooting vertically as well.

Every time one of my nieces or nephews hands me their phone to look at a video, I instinctively turn it landscape and tut and have to turn it portrait because most of the screen is black. And of course the reverse is true if I hand them my phone to look at a video they turn it portrait and tut and have to turn it landscape for the same reason :)

This is not the death knell or anywhere even near close to being the end (or even the beginning of the end) of landscape format for video but it's probably the biggest marker that vertical format is definitely not going away and will likely co-exist at least.

Which presents a challenge or opportunity I suppose in how to adapt or adobt for many people if they want to create content for it.

This doesn't just mean for your own content for an Instagram channel but if you're looking to produce content for it for other people.

And will need different solutions.

Might it even be something that a 360 camera is suited for be because its framing agnostic and you can steer the point of interest in post ?

Or maybe even in the app itself?

Or do you shoot "landscape for portrait" with a regular camera for the same point of interest dynamic framing in post?

It will all be moot of course if it doesn't have a strong pick up from users so only time will tell if the production value requirement of the uploaded content ever warrants any more consideration than holding a smartphone steady.

The aspirational nature of a lot of the current still image content on there would suggest otherwise though but who knows how it will shake out.

Certainly not me. I'm so far out of touch with Instagram that I might as well be sat in my attic listening to 78s and reading a book by candlelight. 

5 hours ago, Damphousse said:

Oh, it is definitely an interesting way not to compete with Youtube.

Out of likes. Yeah you hit the nail on the head as they say. YT execs are not laying awake with that silly stuff 12 year old girls are into on Instagram. Kim Kardashian's selfie hangout?

• Super Members
58 minutes ago, mercer said:

The IG app only works vertically, so that may be the reasoning... but I believe you can still have a landscape video on there, you just won’t be able to turn your phone to watch the video full screen in landscape. 

The original article says the new service will consist exclusively of vertical content so it sounds like it you won't be able to upload landscape format.

Philip Bloom is already gearing up for it

1821520216_ScreenShot2018-06-22at20_58_37.png.bd21bd2efcd6a5a18013795d699828ff.png.

52 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

YT execs are not laying awake with that silly stuff 12 year old girls are into on Instagram. Kim Kardashian's selfie hangout?

According to the article, its 1.8 billion users to 1 billion users in YouTube's favour at the moment but it also quotes a stat about the 40% reduction in teens watching TV in the past 5 years.

I wouldn't have put teens watching regular linear TV as being very high 5 years ago so God knows what the figure is comparative to 10 or 20 years ago!

YouTube is primarily a linear TV replacement service but if you've grown up consuming your media in a different way then YouTube becomes much less of draw.

Those girls liking the stuff on Instagram won't be 12 forever, just as those of us who have grown up watching regular TV won't be around forever either.

As we fall off one end, they'll rise at the other so it won't take much of a swing for 1.8 billion to 1 billion becoming 1.4 billion to 1.4 billion.

I don't think YouTube is going to go the way of MySpace of course but they do have more than a little groundswell of discontent from some of their 'stars' (both established and upcoming) regarding decreasing earnings who thus far have had to shrug and put up with it because there wasn't a viable alternative. I imagine some of them will be wondering about the possibilities with this alternative.

1 minute ago, BTM_Pix said:

The original article says the new service will consist exclusively of vertical content so it sounds like it you won't be able to upload landscape format.

1821520216_ScreenShot2018-06-22at20_58_37.png.bd21bd2efcd6a5a18013795d699828ff.png.

Those girls liking the stuff on Instagram won't be 12 forever, just as those of us who have grown up watching regular TV won't be around forever either.

I would bet the make up of You Tube is tons more men than women on it watch and upload to it. And on Instagram I would bet there is Way more girls, woman on it than men. I doubt that will change much down the road either way. But hard to predict the future like you could years ago.

39 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

According to the article, its 1.8 billion users to 1 billion users in YouTube's favour at the moment but it also quotes a stat about the 40% reduction in teens watching TV in the past 5 years.

I wouldn't have put teens watching regular linear TV as being very high 5 years ago so God knows what the figure is comparative to 10 or 20 years ago!

YouTube is primarily a linear TV replacement service but if you've grown up consuming your media in a different way then YouTube becomes much less of draw.

As we fall off one end, they'll rise at the other so it won't take much of a swing for 1.8 billion to 1 billion becoming 1.4 billion to 1.4 billion.

I don't think YouTube is going to go the way of MySpace of course but they do have more than a little groundswell of discontent from some of their 'stars' (both established and upcoming) regarding decreasing earnings who thus far have had to shrug and put up with it because there wasn't a viable alternative. I imagine some of them will be wondering about the possibilities with this alternative.

Does it say if it will only accept videos recorded through the app... forgive me but I haven’t read the article... busy few days... will the IGTV app be integrated with the regular IG app or is it it’s own thing?

38 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I would bet the make up of You Tube is tons more men than women on it watch and upload to it. And on Instagram I would bet there is Way more girls, woman on it than men. I doubt that will change much down the road either way. But hard to predict the future like you could years ago.

I think that’s too generalized of a theory... it seems there is content for everybody with whatever interests they might have, just like YT.

I love IG and have learned a bunch about photography and filmmaking from perusing and commenting on photos, screengrabs and videos... but I ONLY follow photographers, filmmakers actors and actresses.

With that being said, how many people on eoshd are also on IG and how do you use the platform... personal, professional, both?

• Super Members
1 hour ago, mercer said:

Does it say if it will only accept videos recorded through the app... forgive me but I haven’t read the article... busy few days... will the IGTV app be integrated with the regular IG app or is it it’s own thing?

Its a standalone app that is also available inside the regular one from what I can tell.

Doing a bit more digging and it looks like you can upload landscape video but it will appear in the app vertically so you'll have to rotate the phone.

This is from Later about it

1212408609_ScreenShot2018-06-22at23_17_31.png.9dfabc77708400b41fe8431588d35ace.png

With Instagram being so adamant about it being for vertical video, it remains to be seen whether content formatted for it will get prioritised in their mysterious algorithms. Particularly when it comes to when the ad links are incorporated over time.

They initially have different time limits for content dependent on the number of followers so maybe that also will be a way they force people into 

Anyway, for now, it looks like I can still produce my makeup tutorials in landscape for now then.

Phew !