Full Frame setup

Jon Karr

Hi, noob here. I've read through a ton of these threads and love the content, so decided to join. In all my reading, I haven't found a clear answer to this, so I thought I'd ask for guidance:

I want to get an anamorphic setup, but I'm still not sure how to pull it off. I'm starting with a full frame sensor (5dm iii and 5dm iv). I don't have an anamorphic lens yet or any adaptors. Trying to stay under ~$800USD. I know it won't be a single-focus solution.

As far as taking lenses: I have a decent amount of L series (EF mount) lenses and would love to be able to use those, but the minimum diameter is 77mm. I also have some older FD mount Canon lenses, but would need a FD to EF converter. Usually this results in either light loss or loss of infinity focus, not ideal either way. If none of this works, I'll have to budget for another taking lens (Helios, etc), plus the EF mount converter.

All I've been able to come up with is either:

1. EF to FD mount converter > FD mount lens with 58mm front thread > VidAtlantic clamp > 16mm Sankor (Elmo, Kowa, whatever)

2: EF lens with 77mm front thread > VidAtlantic XL clamp > 35 NAP-2 beast.

Still have to leave room in the budget for some kind of support system. I have some 77mm diopters but they may be junk and at 77mm, I'll need some extra gaffer tape.

The look I'm interested in is a little more Hollywood and a little less home movie (if that makes sense) - light streaking, softness toward the edges, don't mind a little vignetting either, but sharp in the middle. I shoot mostly in low-light, not bright sunlight (I'd like to be able to hang around f4 if possible). I also want to be able to get as wide-angle as possible. Interested in true anamorphic, not SLR Magic, etc.

So... anybody have a similar kit? Suggestions? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs