*R*U*S*H* - what do you make of this?

Axel

Sorry, I had to make this reference ...

Here are three scenarios, you decide how far-fetched you find them:

1. Just another app in the portfolio. 

It's true. If you are a CC subscriber, you frequently see new little applications come and go. Edit on mobile devices. Why, not bad, is it? Did you hear her say "take it further into Premiere Pro"? You could qualify, organize in the field. Not bad, is it? Probably an app that's going to stay.

2. Premiere is EOL.

With it's ancient source code, it had become ever harder to optimize PP for modern hardware and modern requirements. Also the stuffed and stuffy GUI looks outmoded, despite brave attempts to make it up with "dark mode". But what to replace it with? That's risky, Adobe has learnt that from Apples FCP X inauguration disaster. So they start as a modest little add-on, with the typical Adobe PR understatement ("if a big NLE is too intimidating"). Because this app is so streamlined, it will have stellar performance and stability. Indeed, the faster and more responsive Rush turns out to be from the start, the more you can bet that this second scenario is true. Allegedly they have put Lumetri into Rush. The limitation to four tracks on the one hand (a deception, also perhaps they subsequently cut them down until no tracks remain, see point three), the crown jewel in the glove department on the other hand. WTF! Adobe watches anxiously how it is received and then - lets PP die in dignity.

3. FCP X is EOL

At WWDC, Adobe was mentioned several times, FCP not once. FCP (you buy it once and for all) has reached market saturation and doesn't generate more money. Also it may be fast approaching the state of rigor mortis Premiere is currently in, in that it's bloating with new features. But clients must have a reason to buy Apple hardware. So this could be a revival of the very old times, when Apple and Adobe worked together to have that synergetic effect: pricey (no longer overpriced) elitist software on specialized, highend hardware. The design similarities of Rush with iMovie are just too obvious. Perhaps it's a joint venture?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Heard about that stuff yesterday and I'm very positive, it could be really big for hobbyists and travel/vlogging kinda stuff.

I have personally two scenarios with the stuff I do:

a) I want to create something nice, will sink quite some time into editing, colouring, etc. and the result is a few minutes long and will go to YouTube
b) I want something for Instagram/Facebook and it will be 15 or 30 seconds long, might go into the InstagramStory and be gone within 24 hours

For a) I have a custom workstation with an I/O card, multiple monitors, etc. where I use DavinciResolve and am happy. But Resolve is imho not ideal for laptops when travelling. My laptop runs it okish when having simple edits + ProRes converted source media (but my laptopt is a 15.6" gaming laptop and weighs 3kg + charger), on my girlfriends MacBook Pro 13" it's just ugh. For scenario b), this will be perfect. Because of the weight/clumsiness of the laptops we have transitioned to LumaFusion on an iPad Pro because you can hack together the material, you can use *.cube LUTs to grade it (you can generate a custom LUT in DavinciResolve so you get really close into the ballpark of your "usual look" with a click, you can even stack multiple LUTs in LumaFusion and adjust their intensity), add your music (Soundstripe can directly put the track I pick into my Dropbox and LumaFusion can directly retrieve it from there). With that you have top notch social media content compared to most channels who shoot video with their iPhone directly in the Instagram app with maybe like 5 or 10 minutes of extra effort.

Adobe Lightroom CC Mobile is great for this when it comes to pictures, so I'm really looking forward to see what this will bring for video. I just hope they won't make you get the 720€/year Premiere Pro subscription just so you can use the Rush mobile app.

• Super Members

I don't know how they get away with the pricing to be honest.

If you look at just Premiere on it own, the payments are roughly equivalent to leasing a £600 product where at the end of the term you send it back and get a new version of it (though in this case you are also getting a new version of it throughout the term) and start the whole process again. If it was a printer or computer or some such then its not a bad arrangement (though we could seriously debate the valuation of £600 for Premiere ;) ) but the big issue is their biggest rival sells the equivalent outright with the same upgrade process for not far off a year's lease payments.

It becomes "better" value when you go for the full suite but, even then, it seems so far out of whack when you now have a compositor like Fusion being included with Resolve for a few months "lease" payments on the Adobe suite.

Over 3 years, the full suite, is not far off being the cost of the outright ownership of FCPX, Resolve/Fusion, Affinity Photo (Photoshop clone) and the MacBook Pro to run it on.

I understand why so many users have the suite (as its no point having a different tool than the one you prefer to use irrespective of if its cheaper) but just that for me I'd be having to pay that monthly fee through very gritted teeth :) 

With regard to location/portable editing, LumaFusion is getting even more powerful with the integration with the Gnarbox (and actually might prove the reason to buy one) and the update to export XML. With an upcoming update to do external programme monitoring (via the HDMI adapter or even Airplay) it opens up even more options for people who need to have a more comprehensive editing setup while travelling. Not only using your hotel room's TV as a (very uncalibrated) monitor but with Airplay support you should theoretically be able to use another iOs device as a second screen monitor too. 

Quite apart from it being probably the best video editing app for mobile usage, I actually really like LumaFusion as an editor full stop.

On 6/20/2018 at 11:15 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Over 3 years, the full suite, is not far off being the cost of the outright ownership of FCPX, Resolve/Fusion, Affinity Photo (Photoshop clone) and the MacBook Pro to run it on.

Thank you for sharing that about Affinity Photo. 

The combination of After Effects, Photoshop, and Illustrator are why it has been impossible to leave Adobe for Resolve. But I’ve been watching some videos on the Resolve/Fusion combo and it looks promising. Affinity Photo looks like it could easily replace Photoshop. Would that be the front runner Photoshop replacement? Any other strong candidates?

Also, how about a vector app? Are the vector tools in Affinity fairly robust? Or is there another better app for this?

Pixelmator seemed promising at one point, but I’m also trying to stay away from OS specific apps. 

Come September/October, I may be interested in paying “Full” price for Resolve, and getting a great 4K camera with it for free. :)

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Thank you for sharing that about Affinity Photo. 

The combination of After Effects, Photoshop, and Illustrator are why it has been impossible to leave Adobe for Resolve. But I’ve been watching some videos on the Resolve/Fusion combo and it looks promising. Affinity Photo looks like it could easily replace Photoshop. Would that be the front runner Photoshop replacement? Any other strong candidates?

Also, how about a vector app? 

I have never needed to use every last facet of Photoshop so I'm probably not best placed to do the full A/B comparison but I don't miss not having it at all (even after 20 years use!) if that's an indication.

With regard to vectors (and I now have the Airplane "what's your vector Victor" scene playing in my head ?) that's not my area but a friend of mine switched to an open source package called Inkscape and seems to have lived to tell the tale.

It's the one that usually comes up in any "Alternative to..." searches and there are quite a lot of A/B comparisons with Illustrator. 

27 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I have never needed to use every last facet of Photoshop so I'm probably not best placed to do the full A/B comparison but I don't miss not having it at all (even after 20 years use!) if that's an indication.

With regard to vectors (and I now have the Airplane "what's your vector Victor" scene playing in my head ?) that's not my area but a friend of mine switched to an open source package called Inkscape and seems to have lived to tell the tale.

It's the one that usually comes up in any "Alternative to..." searches and there are quite a lot of A/B comparisons with Illustrator. 

I just noticed that Affinity has a vector app called Designer. This is great. They seem like an experienced company (not likely to vanish in a year) with a cohesive suite of apps. I think this rounds out my alternative solutions to Adobe. I'll probably (finally) be switching soon.

Btw, I love the way you write. Doesn't surprise me that you get so many likes.

12 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

They're all shill accounts and its costing s much money for the pay per clicks so thats why I've had to cancel my Adobe subscription to pay for them ;)

Buy them from Fivrr instead, they're cheaper,  you'll save enough money to use Adobe instead.