Opinion Poll: Sony A6300 / A6500

Dustin

12 hours ago, canonlyme said:

Sure, it's just that if you know you are going for a speedbooster anyway, you can save the 7 bucks for a dumb one, or at least buy one that doesn't hurt the lens threat. But you are right ;) I guess with something like the sigma 18-35, some people here have the opinion a dumb adapter on m43 gives it an even better zoom range. I'm looking into that at the moment too since I have the 18-35, gx80 and no adapter yet.

It is not just that a dumb adapter gives you more focal length options, but also it is important to always have back ups for when something fails, and this is a very cheap way to keep your ass covered. (it doesn't even have to be an outright failure that might encourage you not to use the focal reducer, maybe the glass in it is creating flaring you don't want)

8 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Never purchased a used CAMERA from Adorama, but I've purchased used lenses, mics, etc. from them (and B&H) and have never had a problem. They're a great company, from my experiences, and often have nice little deals. 

Same here, I like buying secondhand stuff from Adorama / B&H as they have a generous rating system I can trust. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@IronFilm I figured heck 30 day return policy thats MUCH more reliable than an eBay rando-seller.

Couple things: I've received my dumb adapter and I have to say it looks fairly quality for being $17. Going to be trying a 28mm on it first. I also purchased Caleb Pike's at DSLR VIDEO SHOOTER's a6500 guide and it has given me a much better run-down on how the camera works. I figure it's like having a video version of the manual. Has me pumped for its Tuesday arrival!

Finally, I won the Sony 35mm 1.8 OSS prime on eBay. (Wasn't much of a hassle). I've been pouring through recommended color profiles/settings and will likely be purchasing Pro Color 3.0 / Pro LOG Bundle as well! Can't wait to open up new filmmaking possibilities that just weren't possible with the Nikon D5300. Just wanted to say thanks everyone for the advice in leading up to this purchase. Hopefully after playing with my setup for a bit I'll have some footage to share in the coming weeks.

Nice. Your talking a camera in the A6500 that you can make  pretty darn good footage with. Not a lot it can't do. Well Whip pans are probably out with one. But most people don't even know what Rolling Shutter even is or care. So don't let that slow you down. If you do 1080p, 4k down sampled is your best best. It is pretty good that way compared to 1080p OOC.

Simple to do also if you haven't before.  https://dslrvideoshooter.com/how-and-why-you-should-downscale-4k-to-1080/

@webrunner5 It does seem fairly easy! Question to you: with the 8 different PP it comes with, Caleb mentions these are just examples. Essentially, can’t I tweak all of these? For example, have PP1, PP2 be two my slog 3 and a less flat profile etc.

So in sum are the PP’s just slots for 8 picture profiles that you can then tweak to your liking?

22 minutes ago, Dustin said:

@webrunner5 It does seem fairly easy! Question to you: with the 8 different PP it comes with, Caleb mentions these are just examples. Essentially, can’t I tweak all of these? For example, have PP1, PP2 be two my slog 3 and a less flat profile etc.

So in sum are the PP’s just slots for 8 picture profiles that you can then tweak to your liking?

You can Tweak them till the cow's come home. That can be good and bad LoL. There is a Ton of things on each one you can change, maybe too many if you get crazy. I like to play around with the Knee, and Black Gamma a lot. I did that often when I was a ENG cameraman. It helped when days were dark, overcast, or bright as heck. It can really change up stuff from the norm. You can always reset the camera and they go back to factory. I have 4 of the 7 in my A7s tweaked, some a lot. I But yeah on paper you could make PP1 the same as say PP7 if you wanted to by changing a lot of things in it. I find they get a little more hardcore as you go down. The last one will be Slog 2 and the first one will be just a basic take a video and go thingy. A good overall balance one. They get a bit more intense as you go down.

http://helpguide.sony.net/di/pp/v1/en/contents/TP0000909110.html

On 6/24/2018 at 3:58 AM, IronFilm said:

It is not just that a dumb adapter gives you more focal length options, but also it is important to always have back ups for when something fails, and this is a very cheap way to keep your ass covered. (it doesn't even have to be an outright failure that might encourage you not to use the focal reducer, maybe the glass in it is creating flaring you don't want)

Same here, I like buying secondhand stuff from Adorama / B&H as they have a generous rating system I can trust. 

Would not really count that for an argument. I don't see why a manual speedbooster should fail. By that argument, every run and gun-filmmaker would from no on bring 2 cameras, two microphones and two adapters. If it makes you feel more safe while shooting however, that would be another story. 

4 minutes ago, canonlyme said:

Would not really count that for an argument. I don't see why a manual speedbooster should fail. By that argument, every run and gun-filmmaker would from no on bring 2 cameras, two microphones and two adapters. If it makes you feel more safe while shooting however, that would be another story. 

Most of the times I do have at least 2 of most things. A silly tiny Manfrotto tripod, a NX1 (or 2, plus an NX500), lensES, micS, I do not use adapters.

22 minutes ago, canonlyme said:

Re: Speed Boosters

LensRentals.com has this to say:

Do you recommend this product for professional work?

We can’t recommend this product for professional work. We reached this decision after Lensrentals folks and rental clients experienced repeated failures in the field. Though it might work much of the time, it’s our opinion that this product’s performance is too unpredictable to be trusted on high-value projects. Use for casual testing or try-before-you-buy purposes only. If you have any questions, please contact us.

25 minutes ago, canonlyme said:

Bringing two cameras at all times with you (even if you leave the back up in the car) is indeed a very solid plan!

And I'm not just referring to a mechanical (or electronical) failures of a focal reducer, but also optical "failures" as well, what if you get a weird flare you can't be rid of, then it is handy to be able to swap out the focal reducer to a simple dumb adapter. 

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Re: Speed Boosters

LensRentals.com has this to say:

Do you recommend this product for professional work?

We can’t recommend this product for professional work. We reached this decision after Lensrentals folks and rental clients experienced repeated failures in the field. Though it might work much of the time, it’s our opinion that this product’s performance is too unpredictable to be trusted on high-value projects. Use for casual testing or try-before-you-buy purposes only. If you have any questions, please contact us.

Wow, just wow, LensRental really does love to "cover their ass"!

Tonnes and tonnes of pros uses a Speed Booster on paid shoots. 

No wonder LensRental went overboard in their excessively cautious statement saying "the URSA Mini is not suitable for professional work". (which did a lot of damage to its reputation at the time)

12 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Bringing two cameras at all times with you (even if you leave the back up in the car) is indeed a very solid plan!

And I'm not just referring to a mechanical (or electronical) failures of a focal reducer, but also optical "failures" as well, what if you get a weird flare you can't be rid of, then it is handy to be able to swap out the focal reducer to a simple dumb adapter. 

Wow, just wow, LensRental really does love to "cover their ass"!

Tonnes and tonnes of pros uses a Speed Booster on paid shoots. 

No wonder LensRental went overboard in their excessively cautious statement saying "the URSA Mini is not suitable for professional work". (which did a lot of damage to its reputation at the time)

Alright then, I'll think of you guys next time I bring my spare dumb adapter :). However when travelling run-and-gun I think I can't afford to bring my b-cam and will take the risk...