Panasonic camera hack, with 10bit 4444, The Digital Super 8 Bolex

PannySVHS

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 6/29/2018 at 4:54 PM, Yurolov said:

The Kodak kai-02150 was the sensor used for HD video capture. AFAIK it was used in the bolex and ikonoskop cameras. There was a guy called Roald Christesen who even made his own camera with the sensor and like with the panasonic hack I think a laptop was used to capture. The old ccd's were just about the closest thing you could get to film (peaking with the ikonoskop camera).    

If someone wants a CCD on the cheap (other than the D16) then you can pick up a Sony PMW-F23 for next to nothing! (I've heard of them recently going for sub $1K)

On 9/19/2018 at 12:18 PM, buggz said:

As an old stills shooter, I miss the big pixel CCDs looks.

Eh, I don't miss my Nikon D50

• 3 months later...
On 9/20/2018 at 7:23 AM, IronFilm said:

If someone wants a CCD on the cheap (other than the D16) then you can pick up a Sony PMW-F23 for next to nothing! (I've heard of them recently going for sub $1K)

Wwould love that dvx100 andromeda more, for manageable size. and no need for an 18- 100 PL zoom neither. :) Nobody on this board who read this thread has been up to offer to sell one unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty cool to see people still interested in the Andromeda  

I actually still have my dvx100 andromeda. 

Apparently the camera I purchased was used as a c camera on few features back in the day.

I never got around using it on an actual production myself but I did shoot some test footage and the image it produced was very impressive.

Fun fact, even though it never came to market, a few HVX cameras with an early build did exists and there was one sold on eBay about 8 years back.

Unfourtunally, it did not come with the software or special data cable to get it to work...

• 6 months later...

Greetings everyone!  Proud new owner of an Andromeda DVX100 reporting in!  It was actually dumb luck that I stumbled onto this group and, more specifically, this conversation!  I just managed to get an archive of the Sculptor HD software literally the other day and and currently working on a portable run-and-gun handheld solution for on the go recording, which consists of a hackintosh laptop running Sculptor, and a secondary hot-swappable internal hard drive bay on the laptop that will essentially allow me to use large SSDs as recording cartridges.

I'm still working out the kinks and learning how to properly calibrate the software for the best possible capture.. I'm a novice enthusiast who has more of an interest in the technology aspect as opposed to straight-up filmmaking, but once I get everything running I will be sharing the resulting footage!

I hope we can keep the conversation about the Andromeda mod going!  I'm very excited to see what will come next!

8 hours ago, tktagmedia said:

I hope we can keep the conversation about the Andromeda mod going!  I'm very excited to see what will come next!

Wow, 3ccd 10bit raw, 720p, global shutter, with a leica- pana zoom lens, lens stabilization and legendary ergonomics. Keep on posting, my friend!!!! :)  Maybe you can resurrect the hardware hack and @BTM_Pix can join the process. We better get our DVX100 cams cheap now.:)

8 hours ago, tktagmedia said:

Greetings everyone!  Proud new owner of an Andromeda DVX100 reporting in!  It was actually dumb luck that I stumbled onto this group and, more specifically, this conversation!  I just managed to get an archive of the Sculptor HD software literally the other day and and currently working on a portable run-and-gun handheld solution for on the go recording, which consists of a hackintosh laptop running Sculptor, and a secondary hot-swappable internal hard drive bay on the laptop that will essentially allow me to use large SSDs as recording cartridges.

I'm still working out the kinks and learning how to properly calibrate the software for the best possible capture.. I'm a novice enthusiast who has more of an interest in the technology aspect as opposed to straight-up filmmaking, but once I get everything running I will be sharing the resulting footage!

Any chance you could offer the download for us?  Just saw a hacked dvx100 for $400 on eBay, but apparently it’s hard if not impossible to find the sculpture d software. 

23 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Wow, 3ccd 10bit raw, 720p, global shutter, with a leica- pana zoom lens, lens stabilization and legendary ergonomics. Keep on posting, my friend!!!! :)  Maybe you can resurrect the hardware hack and @BTM_Pix can join the process. We better get our DVX100 cams cheap now.:)

Maybe @BTM_Pixcould get it to work with OBS?  OBS supports prores support. Prores 444 10 bit CCD with Leica zoom lens anyone?

On 7/28/2019 at 1:46 PM, Shell64 said:

Any chance you could offer the download for us?  Just saw a hacked dvx100 for $400 on eBay, but apparently it’s hard if not impossible to find the sculpture d software. 

Maybe @BTM_Pixcould get it to work with OBS?  OBS supports prores support. Prores 444 10 bit CCD with Leica zoom lens anyone?

Here ya go!  This software is Mac only, just FYI!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/9ajz8en7ozagwr8/Andromeda.zip/file

On 7/28/2019 at 1:46 PM, Shell64 said:

I highly, highly doubt it.  The hardware sends down a binary blob in a proprietary format that you have to transcode into your desired format after capture.  This isn't just a simple video stream.

Here's a still from my first shoot with the Andromeda tonight, video will be forthcoming!

For a camera this old, the results are incredible. 

The portable laptop rig worked like a dream, and better than I could have hoped for:

::Hackintoshed PC laptop with modular SSD bay for recording (2TB SSD for shockproof, fast performance, up to 18 hours continuous recording)

::External laptop battery pack, 70,000 mAh for 7-8 hours of power-up time

Once I had my settings dialed in, I could just close the lid to the laptop, set it in my special backpack and focus on getting my shots.  It's incredible, and I'm looking forward to all the things I'll be able to do in the future.  Footage in motion is just awesome!!

Video coming soon, but in the meantime enjoy this still!

000001.tif

On 7/28/2019 at 7:46 PM, Shell64 said:

Hey, did you mean this one? Heck, how could I let this go? :(

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-DVX100-MiniDV-Camera-w-Reel-Stream-Andromeda-USB-Capture-Mod-24p-3CCD-/333267052971

http://bobdavis321.blogspot.com/2019/04/panasonic-dvx100-video-camera-repair.html

This gentleman might be up to the task of reviving the raw beast the DVX100 was meant to be! We should revive a DVX hack for the sake of that beautiful 10bit 444 image coming off that 3CCD magic being hit by light through a beautiful servo pana-leica zoom lens, all in a classy camcorder body with a gorgeous and massive eyecup. let´s revive that DVX100, the ultimate super8 digital cinema camera! @BTM_Pix  project number 50! :) Teaming up with bob davis should be great fun and a start to something wonderful, rising up the prices for used DVX100 cameras and minimacs. Now who bought that andromeda camera above? :)

@IronFilm @tktagmedia I second that. Would love to see your footage and setup!