Panasonic camera hack, with 10bit 4444, The Digital Super 8 Bolex

PannySVHS

This is awesome or was, since the company has been bought by assumingly Panasonic or Red. The Andromeda mod gave the DVX100

fantastic 10bit 720p in 444 color, making it a magic super 8 digital cinema camera with its beautiful three ccds, bypassing the nappy DV format and showing its true resolution in pixels and color.

If digital bolex is the incarnation of its 16mm analogue ancestor, then the DVX is the kid of the super 8 bolex.

https://vimeo.com/groups/andromeda

@BTM_Pix, Hey, you have done such awesome stuff with software on the Pana GX camera and with your upcoming hardware controller. Would you be interested to revive this project? I would pay money for this to have this unique ccd cinema magic in my hands.

Holy macaroni:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
34 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Something like that is waaaayyy beyond my competence level. 

Darn!:( :) Anyone on this forum ever filmed with a DVX Andromeda? I would find it very exiting, having a great form factor, CCDs,  that nice 10x servo zoom plus, NDs, plus that awesome 720p raw! Looking at the footage, I am very impressed. Beautiful CCD image plus a nice camera. How wouldnt I like that!

The Super8 Digital Bolex for sure!

Well there is no doubt that CCD sensors look Way better than Bayer ones do. Until recently all MF cameras used CCD 's in them. But they sucked at high ISO at the time. All the Kodak DSC series Photo cameras had CCD sensors in them. Heck the original Olympus E1 which was just beautiful looking output photo wise, used a CCD sensor.

18 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Heck the original Olympus E1 which was just beautiful looking output photo wise, used a CCD sensor.

Heck, you better hack or mod me that sucker:) Hell, that Andromeda DVX is really giving me a sleepless time. So you will turn our newly purchased DVX cameras into

some cinema raw monster super8 cameras then? :) 

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

Heck, you better hack or mod me that sucker:) Hell, that Andromeda DVX is really giving me a sleepless time. So you will turn our newly purchased DVX cameras into

some cinema raw monster super8 cameras then? :)

That footage looks almost too good to be true. I must admit I never heard of that mod, but I was using ENG cameras at the time, so off my Radar. Just goes to prove how good Raw footage really is. Speaking about Raw footage, My son just got a Canon 5D mk III. Has shoot a little with ML on it yesterday. He was impressed to say the least. Have not been down to his house to see it.

If I remember the DVX100 hack started on the DVInfo forum (in the Alternative imaging section), then they got their own website and it was named Andromeda. There seem to be a lot of desperate stuff going on in those days - I was one of a handful of people trying to use industrial camera heads for video, RAM-recording about 20 seconds at a time of Bayer video to a laptop, great times!  

@TrueIndigo, how about reviving the DVX100 hack. I would support that with a donation! I want that camera! CCD magic, three times that magic, awesome form factor, 720p 4444, digi bolex super 8 version!

On 6/19/2018 at 12:00 AM, webrunner5 said:

That footage looks almost too good to be true.

Yes it does! Big time!!

10 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

@TrueIndigo, how about reviving the DVX100 hack. I would support that with a donation! I want that camera! CCD magic, three times that magic, awesome form factor, 720p 4444, digi bolex super 8 version!

Yes it does! Big time!!

Not sure it can be done if there are patents and stuff involved. It is a great image I'll give you that. Good find! 

How did the DVX100 hack work exactly? It wasn't just a modified firmware but involved modifying the camera hardware? So it was only offered by one specialized company as a hardware modification - and that company has gone out of business?

So, in other words, in order to obtain a hacked DVX100, one would have to look at the second hand market for models whose owners had their camera modified?!?

• Super Members

It was a hardware modification that took a tap straight from the A/D

The original development thread is here

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/20332-4-4-4-12-bit-uncompressed-dvx100.html

There is a degree of conspiracy theory about who the company sold out to and if the buying company then went about acquiring all the modded cameras that were out in the wild.

The strongest theory was that it was bought by a company that was about to start developing a cinema camera and needed to acquire the tech to stand up the patent they were filling for recording video in a RAW format.

The sort of company that would have re-branded it in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS and put vaguely military industrial styling on it.......

Allegedly.

On 6/18/2018 at 6:11 PM, webrunner5 said:

Heck the original Olympus E1 which was just beautiful looking output photo wise, used a CCD sensor.

It was all kodak sensor.

Same family as used in the Digital Bolex.

And the Leica M8 M9 M-E and the Leica S.

JB

-Owner of 3 x Olympus E1’s, an M8, M-E and Leica S 006.

11 minutes ago, John Brawley said:

It was all kodak sensor.

Same family as used in the Digital Bolex.

And the Leica M8 M9 M-E and the Leica S.

JB

-Owner of 3 x Olympus E1’s, an M8, M-E and Leica S 006.

Out of likes. Yes the Kodak sensors were, in my opinion, some of the best ever made for good lighting conditions. I have owned 3 of the Kodak DCS series DSLR's, and the E1, and a lot of other CCD cameras years ago.

The Kodak kai-02150 was the sensor used for HD video capture. AFAIK it was used in the bolex and ikonoskop cameras. There was a guy called Roald Christesen who even made his own camera with the sensor and like with the panasonic hack I think a laptop was used to capture. The old ccd's were just about the closest thing you could get to film (peaking with the ikonoskop camera).    

• 2 months later...