A look at raw video on the Canon 600D

Andrew Reid

"

No - I am the Guy who makes $100,000-150,000 from paid video productions.;-))

So why do you need RAW?

What exactly do you produce to make living apart from weekly tests(for which we are all grateful ;-)?

Is there any feature film i missed from you. What it it you actually hope to achieve with raw? 

'will you have your name in PROMETHEUS 2 trailer"

RAW is very handy for High End and i really mean HIGH END.

Unless it is the Market YOU yes YOU are involved in,then i understand it- but if you are in High End, then the $$$$ you get paid on weekly basis should be enough to buy 10 Epics ;-)))

...but if it is a hobby, then go ahead and get .............................

I'm CG-artist, and make CG for movie. I need RAW. I'm used to work with RAW, and float-point in CG.

I don't care about the Market you say in "Unless it is the Market YOU yes YOU are involved in". I want, I need RAW for my hobby: music clips, based on footages. If you don't need RAW - don't use it. What are you doing here?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

"

I'm CG-artist, and make CG for movie. I need RAW. I'm used to work with RAW, and float-point in CG.

I don't care about the Market you say in "Unless it is the Market YOU yes YOU are involved in". I want, I need RAW for my hobby: music clips, based on footages. If you don't need RAW - don't use it. What are you doing here?

I'm in a similar boat. Completely linear workflows in which you have full control over the exposure of the footage as well as the CG objects is so much easy to work with and usually yield Much better results. I just hope we get some kind of Raw option for the cropped sensored cameras. Honestly the results so far are I'm incredibly pleased and hopeful with! I'd be lying thought if I say I don't regret saving a little more and getting a Mark ii haha

I have recently done my test on 60D. I used Sandisk Extreme HD 32GB UHS-I 45MByte/s and just got some depressive result.

Tried 1440 X 804 and 960 X 480 both at 24fps. ML firmware displayed that the witing speed just reach 20-24MBytes. 

60D still encounters the bottle neck on writing speed and buffer clearing 

1440 X 804 stopped at 140 frames (so bad)

960 X 480 (1400 frames)

The DNGs were not rendered into movie because the ISO is high that looks too noisy to render a good clips.

The 2nd chance might need an Extreme Pro  64GB 95MB/s card to break through. But what I worry about is that 60D lames 

in high speed writing and just waste the potential of Extreme Pro. So pity that 7D still needs to wait for enable the RAW video fuction.

It is the last hope of Raw video on APS-C camera.

RAW is very handy for High End and i really mean HIGH END.

It's as handy for high end as it is for low end. Low end filmmaking doesn't have to look any worse than high end filmmaking, it's about telling different stories, having different budgets, different artistic statements and aesthetic choices, but both have the right to use footage that looks as good as it gets. Right now raw is as good as it gets.

Are these DSLR raw hacks as they stand the solution? No way. Are they important? You bet.

If your problem was with these cameras' limited raw ability, I could understand, but if your problem is with raw itself, then you're aiming low on your $100-150k/year videos.

Raw presents a cumbersome workflow for independent filmmakers, but guess what, it also does it for high end filmmakers. If they could just use prores files and give you the same quality I'm sure they would.

The way forward is to accept this and work on improved raw workflows that will eventually make everyone's life easier, instead of dismissing it like you're doing.

Not ready to use it? Fine.

Scared because you don't really understand it? Understandable.

But none of those make it any less valid or significant.

I'm in a similar boat. Completely linear workflows in which you have full control over the exposure of the footage as well as the CG objects is so much easy to work with and usually yield Much better results. I just hope we get some kind of Raw option for the cropped sensored cameras. Honestly the results so far are I'm incredibly pleased and hopeful with! I'd be lying thought if I say I don't regret saving a little more and getting a Mark ii haha

Eh? You can do a linear workflow with sRGB stuff too, it's not rocket science and you don't need RAW for that.

There's only no time limit at really poor resolutions & some people are starting to shoot at lower fps.

On my 60D, i can get 5mins worth @ 960x544 & continuous at lower.

Unless you want to spend 3k on a 5d3, its not going to be that good.

It was exciting at first but the dust is settling & reality has kicked in.

Unless they figure out some in-camera compression, these lesser cameras can't handle it in any useable way.

• 2 weeks later...

There's only no time limit at really poor resolutions & some people are starting to shoot at lower fps.
On my 60D, i can get 5mins worth @ 960x544 & continuous at lower.
Unless you want to spend 3k on a 5d3, its not going to be that good.
It was exciting at first but the dust is settling & reality has kicked in.
Unless they figure out some in-camera compression, these lesser cameras can't handle it in any useable way.

Get a 50D!

I hear that they may indeed be 10-bit RAW on the way... still hope...

A1ex has said today to forget 10bit Raw - so it might come to the 5D3, but not the other cams. But they might pick up the original idea of trying to get better H264.

Get a 50D!

If they were £100, then yes.

But realistically its a Pocket for me - if they ever come out!

Prores & [maybe] Raw is just an unbeatable combo - its S16 as well.

The great thing about using ML Raw at the moment is that it is a kinda test run for the Pocket - i can mimic the S16 sensor size, test out lenses/DOF & get a workflow sorted.

Also, the 60D might have another 128MB of free memory that could be implemented, which would mean between 7.5-10secs at its best resolution - this could be handy for those times when a wider FOV is needed.