A look at raw video on the Canon 600D

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Canon 600D raw video

Download the sample DNG frames from continuous raw video on the 600D

Though most of the development at Magic Lantern has been focussed on the powerful 5D Mark III, the latest firmware builds have also been ported to the 600D. How does it perform for raw video?

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10421/a-look-at-raw-video-on-the-canon-600d]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If 960x720 would work, that would be perfect for 2x anamorphic with 2,66:1 aspect ratio.

Can you try a shot at 960x480p with a 2x anamorphic? That would give a pretty extreme 4:1 aspect ratio at 1920x480, but probably look pretty good!

I'm not sure if anyone notices, but I just did a test w/ these files (thanks, Andrew) upscaled to 1920 horiz-pix and the resolution clarity is effectively comparable to super 16mm film! Almost exactly, in fact. The same soft-sharpness. I'll do an upload of the image shortly. This is a FANTASTIC breakthrough!

Very satisfied with this. An awesome look for low budget indies or to cut alongside higher resolution super35 footage. ML has inadvertently created a super 16 raw frame just from the Digic 4's SD card setbacks. And it's awesome!

8749951513_7a2b65371c_h.jpg

• Administrators

Too bad -- I was hoping for full 1,920 x 1,080, 24p raw on the 600D/T3i. Now that would have been an even bigger game changer. Oh, well.

Hang on. Why are you taking early pre-alpha dev code like it is a final conclusion?

A bit early to judge no?

I think the only drawback is the SD card transfer limit. i´ve got a 6D. will magic lantern able to convert the raw file to a prores or DNG directly from the camera to sd card? ML is the real game changer in this all revolution :) 

• Administrators

6D is reaching 40MB/s. Double 600D, but still half of what common 1000x CF cards achieve on the 5D Mark III (80MB/s+) so not good enough for 1080p raw.

Alex thinks it is card controller limit not card on 600D. So it may be stuck at the lower resolutions. Let's wait and see.

I have done some research of 700D, 650D, 600D & 60D for their internal buffer size according to their continuous shooting maximum capacity. Here is the spec of each camera:

700D: 5fps, max 30 jpg, 6 RAW

650D: 5fps, max 30 jpg, 6 RAW

600D: 3.7fps, max 34 jpg, 6 RAW

60D: 5.3fps, max 58 jpg, 16 RAW

We may now find that 60D should have a much bigger buffer size from the capacity of 16 RAW. As a RAW is about 22MB for 18MP image, the buffer size might be about minimum 112MB(22MB X 5.3fps) to 352MB (22MB X 16fps). I have tested with my 60D and use S-RAW(4.5MP), then I can reach about maximum 30fps before it pauses.

Now we know the value of 60D and the X0D series later. That’s comprehensible because 60D used to be the first swirl monitor design on EOS series which aims on video shooting. Bigger buffer and writing speed is more guarantee for the reliability of video recording. 50D is also able to shoot 16 RAW@6.3fps rate.

My prediction is ML for 60D may able to record DNG like other higher class EOS. I may change my plan of selling my 60D. 

The next thing that may excite me should be EOS-M taking DNG movie, if it is possible, 5D series might still need to worry quite a lot.

I bought a 600D (T3i) earlier this year because I wanted an affordable first camera for learning to shoot indie movies, with the intention to move up to a 5D eventually.

I've shot a few short movies with it, and the results look very nice on a 80 inch screen.  I shoot at 1080p, 24fps. Would shooting raw at 720p and then upscaling to 1080p yield a better looking picture than what I currently do which is to shoot 1080p with the H.254 codec?

Another question I have for the experts here is, given the reported hardware limitations in terms of memory controller bandwidth of the 600D, if it is impossible to shot RAW at 1080p, could it be possible to replace the codec for a better one such as ProRes 4444 or CineForm 444?

In the meantime, I'm starting to save for a 5D Mark III :)

6D is reaching 40MB/s. Double 600D, but still half of what common 1000x CF cards achieve on the 5D Mark III (80MB/s+) so not good enough for 1080p raw.

Alex thinks it is card controller limit not card on 600D. So it may be stuck at the lower resolutions. Let's wait and see.

I don't want to have to replace my 7D with a 5DmkIII, but that might be the case!