'The Cold Dark' - teaser

hmcindie

Hey guys, just finished a short we shot in 2017 November. This was an interesting project and probably my best short yet though it does have some issues in pacing and dialogue. Here's the teaser:

Would be awesome to hear how the teaser works. As this forum is quite technical, if you have any questions about cameras or whatever, feel free to ask, I'll try to provide answers. We shot this one all over the place with a Blackmagic Ursa (DoP by Ehetyz, a forum member here too.), 5d mark III raw (with one days worth of wrong resolution to boot), sony a7s ii and one shot from a nikon d850.

The length of the finished version is 19 minutes and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it, festivals first I guess. Anyone here have any ideas what to do with shortfilms haha?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks cool, I thought when it went to black at the end there would be one final spook scene like most horror trailers.

A quick rundown of the production - number of actors and crew, locations, shoot/edit time, gear used for video/audio and so on would be really interesting. Update when we can see the full version.

Chris

Awesome to hear that the teaser works! Of course the final film has a much different ratio of dialogue to action than the teaser (teasers are easy to make good!). I'll write a little "how to" or something as we get closer to releasing it online. The annoying part about making short films is that just as everything is gelling together in the shoot (And all the little mistakes have been ironed out) it's already time to end. The shoot was three days and that includes a little reshoot, then we shot some little pickups, like walking around shots later.

Excellent work. Longer short films (12+ mins) are harder to get into festivals because it means it's taking the place of two or even three films. That said this thing looks incredible and I think it should play tons of places. The other option, of course, is releasing online and just building views/community around it in forums like this one and on the comments on youtube, etc. Getting things seen is always tough but you kinda did the hardest part which is make something worth talking about.