anamorphic convert

leslie

hello all,

i'm a recent convert to anamorphic lenses

i have been  lurking for a week or so having discovered anamorphic lens after seeing something on youtube and thinking thats pretty cool and i love the lens flares as well. Been watching ebay since then and purchased these two lens a couple of days ago. Not exactly sure how to use these properly yet so there's a bit of a learning process ahead i  guess. i have a canon 60d, a nikon v1, and two gopro's. i mostly been using the gopros for video.  The canon has a movie setting but i have used it only for photos the the nikon i got for the high speed but it does it at a reduced resolution which i hadn't anticipated. so i was a little disillusioned about that.  hopefully either one or both can be used with one of the above cameras somehow. feel free to contribute any knowledge that you have amassed  over time. as im eager to learn i'll try and update the thread as things progress  thanks for your time.

anamophic1.jpg

anamorphic2.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

First just in case it is not obvious but both these lenses are rather large so you will almost certainly need lens support. Those lenses are projector lenses and need to have a taking lens to use them properly. In the case of the Nikon and Cannon you will need to focus both the taking lens and the anamorphic lens to get a sharp image. I have never seen or heard of anyone using them on a GoPro but I guess it could work with the right rig. You would need to set the anmorphic to infinity and use just the anamorphic since the GoPro has a taking lens already. I believe those lenses need 80mm+ focal length taking lenses, full frame equivalent, to not vignette which could be a problem with the wide angle GoPro.

i had some idea that was the case from the research i had done however i'm glad to hear you confirm it.  i am looking at getting a letus anamorphic adapter for the gopro in the next few weeks as an easy entry point and to wet my feet. after that there will be a bit of experimenting going on

• 3 weeks later...

well the projection lenses turned up this week. they are big beasties indeed, you did make  a point about that earlier but hearing it and seeing it is a big difference lol. now  for some experimentation and next on the agenda is some lens support. i have ordered a lens wrench, not sure if i need it, however it's better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it. both items came well packaged  one from Ukraine the other the USA. apart from a few specs of dust the optics look clean and unmarked so i ham happy about that as its always a worry buying second hand and online. well i worry anyway lol .   no doubt i will have a couple more questions shortly  

russian1.jpg

russian2.jpg

russian3.jpg

russian.jpg