Liliput A5, or any other cheap 5" or smaller competitors?

IronFilm

I got the A5 in a rush (after finding last minute that the Ninja 2 does not work with the NX1), and have been shooting with it every day for the past two weeks. I'm pretty happy with it. Regarding the discussion of the brightness, it's adequate. I've had the brightness at 50% and it's viewable outside for framing and peaking, though it's no match for an EVF. All in all I would totally recommend it to anyone on a budget who doesn't want a massive 7" monitor. But make sure your batteries work before using! Here are my pros and cons, loosely in comparison with the Feelworld FW760 that I used to use.

+ Smaller but still 1080p. 5" vs 7" is a huge difference - and also it has thinner bezels and is thinner so it's actually much much smaller.

+ MUCH lighter. Makes my setup more balanced

+ HDMI out

+ Mounting points on three sides

+ Screen is fantastic. Focus peaking works very well.

+ It remembers settings through power on/off cycles. The FW760 would reset everything if it powered down.

- The battery plate is finicky. It's not a problem for me since I power everything from a power bank (I didn't even own any batteries for my FW760). It will not work with a Wasabi LPE6, but it will work with an Ipax LP-E6, even though BOTH of those batteries power a 5D3 perfectly.

- Plasticky. I think the FW760 felt a little sturdier, but not by much. However, the mounting points seem secure and it's not going to fall apart in your hands. Sort of the build you expect from a screen this price.

- Only one customizable button.

- False color does not have a color scale on the side, so you have to guess what IRE each color corresponds to

- The 1/4-20 threads are too shallow. I had to put a few washers on my friction arm's thread.

- The hot shoe mount that comes with it is junk.

- It would have been really nice to put one of these on the back: https://www.amazon.com/SmallRig-Camera-Threaded-Monitor-Accessories/dp/B01NCK79G2 . I had one on my FW760 and then used a lock washer on the friction arm to keep it from accidentally rotating.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2018 at 10:33 PM, IronFilm said:

Liliput A5 is quite appealing at under US$150 with free shipping, with a 1920x1080 screen and 5" size (most other monitors at this price point are bigger, and most other 5" monitors are more expensive). Oh, and it supports 4K input as well (not that this matters to me). 

This looks great for the price, I don't need a monitor often, but on occasion I do and the price is right. Just ordered one to use with the a7III and XT2.

Chris

On 7/2/2018 at 10:37 AM, Timotheus said:

@KnightsFan does it have an anamorphic mode? Can't see it listed... Most competitors do provide it, so am wondering.

I think it has "aspect ratio" just like the A7s, so putting it on 3.35:1 aspect  it looks almost good enough for framing with a 2x anamorphic lens.

16 hours ago, Grimor said:

I think it has "aspect ratio" just like the A7s, so putting it on 3.35:1 aspect  it looks almost good enough for framing with a 2x anamorphic lens.

I mean 2.35:1.

@IronFilm can you confirm that it has different aspect ratios (full, 16:9, 1.85:1, 2.35:1, 4:3, 3:2) as A7s?

Just finished my a weekend of shooting with the Liliput A5 for the first time, and I really liked it! Was a nice screen (in fact the B cam would often be using it for himself! Rather than for its purpose: to be pointed at me, so I could keep an eye on the B Cam shots), seemed to be battery efficient (I think? I wasn't doing battery management though, that was B Cam AC's job) while being super small and lightweight.

For its price (only US$149!) I think this was an awesome bargain buy.

• 4 weeks later...

I have build one of those to pair with my NX500 set-up (and put it conveniently on the top of a cage).

Good fun for 35$ (with a plastic case and a "credit card" size power bank, not really usable in the Mediterranean sun, the Focus is the least for such conditions.

@BTM_Pix knows everything there is to know about it!

On 8/8/2018 at 4:28 PM, IronFilm said:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/3-5-HDMI-1920x1080-LCD-Display-Screen-for-Raspberry-Pi-w-clear-Case-Heatsink-/352309147649?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20150519202348%26meid%3D6f88f017b67d4d26ade094fe6f4397c9%26pid%3D100408%26rk%3D10%26rkt%3D25%26sd%3D382095336786%26itm%3D352309147649&_trksid=p2056116.c100408.m2460

This is not exactly the same, as I bought it from amazon.de, but this is the case, and probably the same monitor too (I believe they are all made by 1 factory in China, they have many options, form 3.5" up to whatever).

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Pocket-Slim-Power-Bank-Portable-USB-Charger-Credit-Card-sized-For-Mobile-Phone/401551817356?epid=10011033535&hash=item5d7e5a7a8c%3Am%3Amim9hIz-9Xj0IbYR8U4DNTQ&var=671272107951&_nkw=Credit+card+usb+power+bank&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m4084.l1313&varId=671272107951

This is the power bank that fits inside the case (there are a few ways to stick it , or even glue it there).

And everything is connected with a mobile phone tripod mount (mine cost something like 3$, but you can have better ones, even one like this https://m.ebay.com/itm/Ulanzi-ST-02S-Metal-Cell-Phone-Tripod-Mount-with-Cold-Shoe-Adapter-Clamp-Rig/153006104930?hash=item239fdfe162%3Ag%3AxVQAAOSwOhNa6bOE&_pgn=2&_nkw=Mobile+phone+cold+shoe+adaptor&_from=R40&rt=nc ).

Then you can have a tripod thread female to cold shoe, for putting it straight on camera, or whatever you'd like.

Again, it is ok as a small project as color accuracy and brightness aren't on our side, but the size and price, are!

My next project would be to stick a generic viewfinder loupe there, or something.