Liliput A5, or any other cheap 5" or smaller competitors?

IronFilm

Yah, it's a bracket, not rocket science. ? You could probably piece something together DIY style from regular photography accessories for say 10 bucks.

E.g. this thing on eBay is less than 4 bucks: https://www.ebay.com/itm/L-shape-binocular-adapter-mount-tripod-bracket-adapter-for-binocular-telescope/173231730742 , adapt to hotshoe like so: https://www.ebay.com/itm/L-type-full-Metal-hot-shoe-bracket-for-camera-Tripod-and-Binocular-and-Minocular/181958129624

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I wouldn't expect it to be the same quality as the SmallHD Focus. But if the monitor is 85% as good at much less than half the cost, then that is good enough for me!

Diminishing law of returns. While the SmallHD is obviously better is it 3 times the price better? For some maybe, but for others not so much. 

3 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Yah, it's a bracket, not rocket science. ? You could probably piece something together DIY style from regular photography accessories for say 10 bucks.

E.g. this thing on eBay is less than 4 bucks: https://www.ebay.com/itm/L-shape-binocular-adapter-mount-tripod-bracket-adapter-for-binocular-telescope/173231730742 , adapt to hotshoe like so: https://www.ebay.com/itm/L-type-full-Metal-hot-shoe-bracket-for-camera-Tripod-and-Binocular-and-Minocular/181958129624

Cheers for the tip! That headed me down the right path, I purchased this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263540665944

Was a no brainer decision. I'll now place next an order for the Lilliput A5. 

10 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Well... yeah. ? To me SmallHD is the Apple of field monitors. A lot of fanboys that love the intuitive and neat package, but wayyy overpriced. #notforme

This can be said litteraly to anything in the market, from bubble gums to cars and boats. A basic - of anything - can done the job, but then we all would be living in USSR and driving Lada Samara - if the commitee agreed to give us one.

If you do not like a product, or brand, there is no need to name-call the people that do, maybe they have different needs.

Not at all like Apple, I wouldn't buy anything that resembles that brand.

For some reason, TV Logic is the most popular brand in monitors here, and those are way more expensive than similar SmallHD monitors.

I find the price I paid for the Focus quite reasonable when you consider that it is the smallest/lightest/best touch screen UI/and the cheapest - with as high Nits - solution in the market, and an accessory I use EVERYTIME I switch on my camera, so a lot. Battery consumption is amazing too, the other day I used only 2 of the smaller F batteries (and of low quality) for a full working day with an A7s camera.

The monitor was back ordered for 4 months in my country, so it does some things right, it seems.

Also, it created a trend, so, its success played a factor on all these 5" monitors, with some of them trying to mimic its likeness and that arm too. You can downgrade it as much as you want, but I don't remember any similar arm desing before, and the fact that shamelessly are copying it, means that works, and it does.

22 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

If you do not like a product, or brand, there is no need to name-call the people that do, maybe they have different needs.

Not at all like Apple, I wouldn't buy anything that resembles that brand.

If you buy a product from a company I would say you, me whoever, IS sort of a Fanboy of that company. And I sort of like Apple stuff. So I kind of feel offended by Your statement LoL.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

But I would imagine that Apple products over where you live are a lot more than they are here. And they Ain't cheap here! I like them not only for their technology, but also they are like pieces of art. Just beautiful looking, even the mouse.

Let's say you buy a couple of SmallHD Focus AND a couple of the cheap ones mentioned here, for the price of one iPhone X, and I am willing to use my monitor a lot more years than my current mobile phone.

We have a lot of extra taxes in Europe, plus additional ones in my country.

In my mind, a fanboy (in the materialistic aspect of it) is someone that chooses products based on the brand and not logic/rationality/real needs.

The tablet market is quite limited in choices, so we still use an iPad in the family, we don't use any other Apple device anymore.

Screens/monitors are getting cheaper and cheaper these days, what I am eyeing now, is a 10" or so, for a director's monitor. There are some HDMI options for less than 100$, but for that purchase I do not care for nits/interface/absolute quality, size or weight. Someone else can spend thousands of euros for such a monitor. Just different needs.

Well I have a Apple X, 256 GB one. A Apple SE 16 GB I never use. I bought my son a Apple 8 64 GB. He uses my 2015 Macbook Pro 15", and I have a 2018 iPad Air 32 GB WiFi, Cellular version. and a self built Desktop PC. So I guess I am a Apple Fanboy.

I don't make a lot of money retired but I sort of like the look and feel of Apple stuff, and they have hands down the most Apps. I am going RVing soon and there is a lot of Apps that only work on IOS. Another reason.

I just got rid of my Samsung Note 8, just too damn big and well it seemed buggy to me. My Note 4 and Note 2 never acted that way. But my Note 4 had the dreaded expanding battery problem. Never did burn, but it took 3 batteries and 2 bodies to get it right. A real pain in the butt.

But with Vat Cost, and it seems Everything cost a more in the EU anyways, I can see why Apple is a hard sell in Europe. You do what you can afford to do unless you are cheap like ? @IronFilm

What am I doing wrong? When I insert a name with the @ thingy or a Emoji I can't type Anything pass them??

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

The tablet market is quite limited in choices, so we still use an iPad in the family, we don't use any other Apple device anymore.

Really? I feel there are heaps and heaps of tablet options! 

https://techtablets.com

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

You do what you can afford to do unless you are cheap like ? @IronFilm

I'm looking for a combo stand for my recent 2K fresnel acquisition and I even self described myself as "a cheap bastard" in a local Facebook post when calling out for leads on a combo purchase.

As I don't want to be buying a brand spanking new Avenger's combo! :-P

Nah, going for a secondhand Kupo combo stand instead, although I was hoping to go even cheaper! I'd been browsing Aliexpress in the hopes of sourcing a cheap combo stand like I had for my C stand a few years back. 

Screens/monitors are getting cheaper and cheaper these days, what I am eyeing now, is a 10" or so, for a director's monitor.

Director's monitor? Go bigger! ?
As I usually always see them on sets as being even larger than 10", often quite substantially so. 

22 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Cheers for the tip! That headed me down the right path, I purchased this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263540665944

Was a no brainer decision. I'll now place next an order for the Lilliput A5. 

I'm selling my barely used smallHD 501 if you're interested. My eyesight isn't what it used to be so I've gone back to using my AC7.

On 6/20/2018 at 10:07 AM, IronFilm said:

Really? I feel there are heaps and heaps of tablet options! 

https://techtablets.com

Director's monitor? Go bigger! ?
As I usually always see them on sets as being even larger than 10", often quite substantially so. 

https://www.google.gr/amp/www.itpro.co.uk/hardware/30467/tablet-sales-decline-for-the-13th-quarter-in-a-row%3famp

Tablets are squeezed between mobile phones (my 5.7" is smaller than iPhone 4.5" and other 5" phones, and we also have a 6.2" S9+ in the family) and 2in1, convertibles, and other solutions that offer better connecticity/productivity/performance in similar, or slightly higher price.

We have an iPad Air (something, I do no follow closely Apple products) which 3 years later is better than any new middle tier Androind tablet, beating even high spec-ed ones, so no need to upgrade.

I want it to be portable, for a small crew in budget productions. The usual for such a case is an additional 7".

Maybe I can mix my 2 needs and buy a 12" 2in1 and be set!

I use my Apple, 9.7, 2018 Air tablet a heck of a lot. I use it as my external monitor for my Sony A7s, and for a bunch of video related apps. The newer Apple iPad Air's have nearly 500 nits. That is really not too shabby.

But it is one that has Cellular in it, Verizon, so I can use it pretty much anywhere. I use it more than my iPhone a lot of days. When you get older a BIG screen is a Plus!

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

400nits? So probably even less than that. This is a perfectly fine monitor for Vampires, and I am sure there is a thriving community over there (of "What we do in the shadows" fame)!

I hope you are not wasting your money.

You would be amazed how many high dollar monitors Only have 350 nits.

This is a perfectly fine monitor for Vampires, and I am sure there is a thriving community over there (of "What we do in the shadows" fame)!

Well my sleeping patterns indicate I'm a vampire myself....