Liliput A5, or any other cheap 5" or smaller competitors?

IronFilm

Living in a country with almost a 6 months summer (and most of the rest is quite sunny anyway), all these cheap monitors are simply unusable for me.

My mobile phone is 650nits and is barely visible for most of the time.

All you mention Atomos or Ninja recorders, but these are outdated as recorders, not as monitoring devices, while some of them weren't even great monitoring devices to begin with.

SmallHD Focus is still the lightest and smallest pro grade 5" minitor in the market. A monitor I can really see, and the lightest to carry around.

Using a Feelworld monitor on a feature film is unheard, the whole budget should have been a couple hundrend of NZ$, I am not sure of what part of the industry those, so called, "feature films" represent, and how much you can charge for this?0.2cents per day?and if you use a 0.2cents monitor, what kind of camera do you use, 4NZ$ per day?and with what sticks?

Everything is relevant I guess, for someone that will use the monitor a few times per year, it seems like a good buy, for anyone wanting more, a better solution should me most appropriate. 

Monitors and tripods can not be cheap. Learning this lesson everyday on work.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Atomos  recorders have like 1600 Nits, and the SmallHD Focus is like 350 Nits. And you are calling them as a monitor not great? And the SmallHD Focus is as much or more money, and they don't even record. Crazy talk. I know they might not be the most color accurate in the industry, but at least you can sort of see the screen on one.

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Atomos  recorders have like 1600 Nits, and the SmallHD Focus is like 350 Nits. And you are calling them as a monitor not great? And the SmallHD Focus is as much or more money, and they don't even record. Crazy talk. I know they might not be the most color accurate in the industry, but at least you can sort of see the screen on one.

Atomos Ninji V has 1000 nits. Cost 695 bucks.  SmallHD Focus is 800 nits. Cost 495 bucks.. But the Atomos can record 4K 60p. And the newest Atomos recorders can do ProRes Raw. Sure the SmallHD Focus is pretty hard to beat for the weight, build quality. But I can't afford to buy both. So I will probably go for the Ninji V. The Atomos Ninja Flame 7" is 1500 Nits. Cost 795 bucks.

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Atomos Ninji V has 1000 nits. Cost 695 bucks.  SmallHD Focus is 800 nits. Cost 495 bucks.. But the Atomos can record 4K 60p. And the newest Atomos recorders can do ProRes Raw. Sure the SmallHD Focus is pretty hard to beat for the weight, build quality. But I can't afford to buy both. So I will probably go for the Ninji V. The Atomos Ninja Flame 7" is 1500 Nits. Cost 795 bucks.

I am glad that you corrected your previous false statements, and you have to understand - and respect, that there are people that do NOT want to record externally, and I am one of those.

I also said, and quote myself "..but these are outdated as recorders, NOT as monitoring devices.." which translates to something like this "some of them are outdated recorders but still are good monitors".

The Ninja V is a great product, and I am sure it will sell exceptionally well, it is just a product that I do not need, and if I am keeping my current cameras, and buying the Pocket4K, won't even need it in the near future either.

I am not even sure you have the camera to record 4k60p with the Ninja V. What camera do you have that does that?

8 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Using a Feelworld monitor on a feature film is unheard, the whole budget should have been a couple hundrend of NZ$, I am not sure of what part of the industry those, so called, "feature films" represent, and how much you can charge for this?0.2cents per day?and if you use a 0.2cents monitor, what kind of camera do you use, 4NZ$ per day?and with what sticks?

Nah, I wasn't charging anything for it, I just loaned my Feelworld monitor to my DoP friend for free. (and he was using it with a RED ONE)

7 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Nah, I wasn't charging anything for it, I just loaned my Feelworld monitor to my DoP friend for free. (and he was using it with a RED ONE)

Sorry, I took your words litterally!

Even here, that I have explained you how broken the industry is, if you rent a higher tier camera, usually they include an ok monitor for free. Last job with C300mkII and a full set of Zeiss lenses, we got two 7" TV Logic monitors like that.

Irrelevant PM: I did a New Zealanders wedding this weekend. The girl was from Oakland and we all had great fun. Lot of booze!

38 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I am glad that you corrected your previous false statements, and you have to understand - and respect, that there are people that do NOT want to record externally, and I am one of those.

I also said, and quote myself "..but these are outdated as recorders, NOT as monitoring devices.." which translates to something like this "some of them are outdated recorders but still are good monitors".

The Ninja V is a great product, and I am sure it will sell exceptionally well, it is just a product that I do not need, and if I am keeping my current cameras, and buying the Pocket4K, won't even need it in the near future either.

I am not even sure you have the camera to record 4k60p with the Ninja V. What camera do you have that does that?

I will be using it for my Sony A7s, which you Have to have a recorder to do 4K, and the 4K BMPCC when it comes out. Like I said I don't have the money to buy both so I am buying a Recorder. I don't do run and gun so I don't care how much it weighs. Plus I am 71 years old. I don't see like I did, and with only one good eye I Need the best screen I can get.

And you are not going to run and gun with the 4K BMPCC anyways with dog shit AF and no IBIS unless you want footage that looks like you are having a seizure!

51 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Irrelevant PM: I did a New Zealanders wedding this weekend. The girl was from Oakland and we all had great fun. Lot of booze!

Sounds like my weekend. 
But without the wedding filming!

I got my Lilliput A5 last week, used it on a quick gig the next day with my A7iii. I'm satisfied with it, happy even, considering the price. I like the size, resolution and super low weight. The buttons and menu are a little fiddly but not too bad. Can't figure out how to re-assign the single function button. The brightness was better than I was expecting. It'll do just fine for me until the NinjaV comes out.

3 hours ago, aldolega said:

I got my Lilliput A5 last week, used it on a quick gig the next day with my A7iii. I'm satisfied with it, happy even, considering the price. I like the size, resolution and super low weight. The buttons and menu are a little fiddly but not too bad. Can't figure out how to re-assign the single function button. The brightness was better than I was expecting. It'll do just fine for me until the NinjaV comes out.

How is the build quality? Obviously you can't expect TOO much for the price but I'm really debating trying to sell the A7S to pick up the A5 or the AndyCine. 

Speaking of weight for a Recorder. I saw this article about these smaller V Mount batteries. Seems to solve some of that problem with weight whether using a recorder or just a monitor. Ain't cheap, but what is involving video! Would be nice to just have one battery to worry about.

https://***URL not allowed***/making-a-compact-sony-a7s-ii-rig-with-hawk-woods-mini-v-lock-batteries/

18 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

How is the build quality? Obviously you can't expect TOO much for the price but I'm really debating trying to sell the A7S to pick up the A5 or the AndyCine. 

It's... adequate. Everything is fit together just fine, my NP-Fs engage and disengage nicely, and the HDMI jacks seem sturdy.

But I doubt it'd survive a drop onto cement, and the 1/4-20 mounting sockets wiggle a bit in the casing so it's a bit wobbly when you grab it to reposition it, and the Velcro on the sunhood is not all that velcro-ey... but come on, it's $150, none of this surprises me.

I haven't handled an A6/F6 or an F570 so I can't compare directly unfortunately. Whichever one of those has the metal casing is almost certainly better built than the A5, but they're also larger and heavier, which were minuses for me.

I shot with it again tonight and it's doing all that I need from it for my A7iii, meaning mostly just a higher-res display with better peaking.

LUTs, a touchscreen with a nice UI, and a brighter screen would all be real nice, but even if those were available in a 5" 1080p monitor right now, I don't think I'd want to spend for it anyways (assuming it would be at least $300-400), as it would depreciate so much once the NinjaV comes out. Even if I can only get $50 for the A5 at that time, it's worth it. And for $50 I'll actually just keep it as a backup.

image.thumb.png.9974e16771bb2b4508a8c2d5d9f714a8.png

I can't figure out where to buy ONLY the monitor arm part of the F6?!

As if I could buy the smaller A5 but use the monitor arm of the F6, then I feel that might be the ideal combo for me. 
(the A5 is almost half the weight of the F6!)

I have heard (dSLR video shooter?) that it is not the same quality as the SmallHD one.

Not all similar things perform equally. 

Recently I was telling some photographers how much I have spent for air protection to my microphones (as much as one of their cameras and a cheap lens) and they couldn't believe that an ebay knock off couldn't do the same job. Most of the times you get what you pay for.

1 minute ago, Kisaha said:

I have heard (dSLR video shooter?) that it is not the same quality as the SmallHD one.

I wouldn't expect it to be the same quality as the SmallHD Focus. But if the monitor is 85% as good at much less than half the cost, then that is good enough for me!