The impact of 5D Mark III raw and what does Vincent Laforet think of it?

Andrew Reid

Okay so the hack means you can now record RAW on a DSLR You can also do this on a BMC The difference is the 5D RAW looks beautiful and to my eyes the BMC looks more drab. However neither camera is better than say an Alexa.

Basicly you have two different emulsions as Shane Hurlbut might put it. The BMC does also somehow look fuller and not as sharpened. For me the 5D image looks filmic and beautiful out of the box I haven't had any decent RAW BMC footage to play around with in colour correction but I wonder if the BMC image can be colour corrected to be similar to the 5D

The magic lantern hack is competition for BMC that was the first to do RAW at a realistic price.

As far as I can see this new option is giving us more choice if we want to work exclusively in RAW

Now there is zero reason WHY a proper RAW video camera should not be forthcoming from all manufacturers. BMC had a years lead but couldn't deliver and have allowed others to steal what should have been theirs for the taking.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Can I just say a big thankyou to people like Andrew Reid and Luke Neumann who have been champing what ML have been doing.

I was very surprised to hear PB very very very long blog trying to convince people that raw is a hassle (I really dont feel like it is) and found it crass that he breaks up his paragraphs by trying to sell stuff. I left a comment telling him that and in return I got a personal email back  asking 'explain myself'. I sent him a reply saying Im a fan of his sites and a regularly follow what he does but I dont understand why he has to break up his blog with all his ads? Why cant he just have them on the side? Well I got a rather snippy email back from him and I thought better to email again as im getting to old for email wars! He then posted it on his blog as if to make an example of me. felt a little thrown to his lions and he didnt take the time to mention that I was singing his praises in the email I sent him. that didnt seem to matter as he took it as I was attacking him.

Anyway im so done with PB. But in turn,  im glad theres people like Andrew Reid who can see when hes jumping down someones throat for having the audacity to disagree with him...

Neil

Same experience conversing with Phil myself. A lot of nasty tantrums over email and threatening behaviour. He needs to handle criticism far better than he is doing.

Really the issue is not that he doesn't need raw, or finds it impractical, or wants to constantly point that out.

The issue is that he is in a position to help us and help Magic Lantern, and all he can do is moan and post pictures of himself.

Anyone had issues with "Movie recording stopped automatically" happening after about 10-15 seconds after recording? I can't get shots longer than 15 seconds in raw mode. I set it to "skip frames" when buffer full, but buffer usage never goes above two stars (**). I tested on KomputerBay 128GB and Lexar 1000x 128GB, they both get about the same write speed, 82.9-83mb/s. I'm shooting 1920x1080: I notice 82.9mb/s is the minimum required for that resolution, so I guess the recording stops because my card keeps dipping just below that minimum speed? Maybe I need to try the SanDisk 128GB?

Just read all the comments. There's predictions, facts, opinions, and personalities. Some are throwing mud others are reminding us to be pleasant. Thanks to all contributors, policing the internet isn't my gig. Props to ML's vision for all that will come. I'm feeling better about buying 1000x CF cards instead of food. Viva la RAW!

I think all these guys will flock to this 'upgrade' (i've decided to stop calling it a hack) when they're able to shoot both raw, and ProRes 422 HQ over HDMI with the 1.2.1 firmware... one day.

When it is stable, and working on 1.2.1, the 5D3 will be the most capable camera you can buy for under $15K.

It is really a shame that neither Philip nor Vincent have mentioned this 'upgrade' officially on their blogs.  Not a word from Vincent, and it barely came as a footnote from Philip Bloom.

I wonder why that is?

He needs to handle criticism far better than he is doing.

I think this can be said about most of us. 

Really the issue is not that he doesn't need raw, or finds it impractical, or wants to constantly point that out.

Plenty of people are sking him his opinion. It's not like he's going out of his way to dog the 5D.  

The issue is that he is in a position to help us and help Magic Lantern, and all he can do is moan and post pictures of himself.

How so? Does ML need his help? I'll be content if he keeps making funny videos about jibs for the rest of his life.

I obviously don't know all the details behind the scenes, but i wish you two would just get over it.

The only question for me is. Will magic lantern do one for 1DX? I know canon publicly stated they would bring their full weight against anyone who would try to alter it. And, I think they were referring to magic lantern.
Anybody have any insight?
Thanks,
Tim

I think all these guys will flock to this 'upgrade' (i've decided to stop calling it a hack) when they're able to shoot both raw, and ProRes 422 HQ over HDMI with the 1.2.1 firmware... one day.

Remember, most of the people reading Phillips blog aren't pros. Hard ware is still a big bottleneck. If you shoot high volume, and you want to edit raw in real time, you are looking at serious upgrade costs. 

When it is stable, and working on 1.2.1, the 5D3 will be the most capable camera you can buy for under $15K.

You might be right about this. However, that will be determined by the quality of the content the 5D can produce. All we have now is a bunch of very promising test clips. 

That's a good point.  I would imagine ML can expect a nice little lawsuit when raw goes into public release...

At this point, i think there is strong evidence that Canon gave ML the green light

on this. And I wouldn't be surprised if Canon was actively helping ML.

• Administrators

Canon won't sue their own customers. They will just refuse any liability for Magic Lantern cameras and probably won't honour warranties.

In my view the hardware isn't stressed, isn't overheating, batteries won't burnt into flames. Canon should know this - their engineers will - although maybe some of the advisors and reps will think otherwise. Software directly blow up silicon. Heat does that. Heat is a by product of software that stresses the hardware. Raw is not processor intensive. Compression is! Why do you think Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera can do raw with no fan in a tiny case for $999 and the Epic with compressed Red Code raw has to have a very powerful ASIC, big fans and massive heat sink?

The weight of public opinion will be heavily against Canon on PR if they do try to shut the hack down, but really the best they can do towards that end is to scare the devs with legal talk or encrypt the firmware on future DSLRs. There's a precedence here. When Canon tried to shut down Canon Rumors over legalities (trademark), public opinion was against it and they backtracked, quite wisely.

Canon should understand Magic Lantern before making a decision and make the decision for the good of their customers not for political reasons.

It makes perfect business sense to support the excellent third party software running on their cameras. Where would a Mac be without Adobe software?

Should Apple try to sue Adobe because they don't want Premiere running on a Mac? No. Crazy. So why should Canon consider doing so with Magic Lantern. It isn't a liability, it's an asset!!

A potentially huge money spinning one at that.

At this point, i think there is strong evidence that Canon gave ML the green light

on this. And I wouldn't be surprised if Canon was actively helping ML.

Really?  The thought was going through my mind.  Canon will sell a million of these cameras with their help... but I don't know.  Helping them?  How?

If they wanted to help them, they'd "accidentally" leak the source code for the actual firmware.  Every step ML takes forward is essentially a guessing game.

The only question for me is. Will magic lantern do one for 1DX? I know canon publicly stated they would bring their full weight against anyone who would try to alter it. And, I think they were referring to magic lantern.
Anybody have any insight?
Thanks,
Tim

The greatest hurdle for them is actually having access to enough 1DX's, I think, I have alot more faith for the next 7D which is rumoured to have similar hardware to 1DX. Unless Canon is going to hardware-cripple it somehow...

• Administrators

1D X would be interesting sure, but I think the focus of ML is on the more affordable cameras at the moment.

It was only a Canon rep / salesman who made the remark about 'full force of legal team' if anyone modified the 1D X. He was ill informed and doesn't have any authority. Ignore.