The impact of 5D Mark III raw and what does Vincent Laforet think of it?

Andrew Reid

Thanks again Andrew for your wonderful work and open-mindedness. My first post here after years of digesting all your intelligent and passionate contributions to fellow filmmakers. I've had the luck and pleasure to edit numerous films for Vincent Laforet and Shane Hurlbut and shoot my projects with the 5D. It's been a whirlwind week and I'm excited at the opportunities and possibilites ahead of us.

As a side note that might be interesting to the conversation...Shane is installing the ML RAW hack into his 5Ds as we speak and I'm sure he will post his results and findings once he tests them out in his awesomely manic and intensively thorough way! I hope Vincent gives it a fair shake too!  Exciting times....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

it´s really funny. MÖVI is the biggest thing in film industry since the 5d mk2. compared to the raw hack for the mk3 it´s really a joke. laforet should say this. or he will loose his credibility. i think it´s really a ego thing. for sure the 1dc was until now a very good camera, besides it´s very high price, but now it lost a lot of it´s worth and if you are a 1dc owner, for some people it´s hard to say, "ok maybe i spend a few dollar too much for it". but i think people like phillp bloom and vincent laforet should really stay neutral because it´s their job and a lot of people listen to them. maybe not to laforet. he takes money from manufactors. and since the mövi thing nobody really listens to him:)

I don't really care what anyone says or thinks. I've been obsessed with the footage from this camera since i first saw it Sunday night.
I don't have a mkiii but I do have a c 300 and this footage has a pow factor the 300 does not . I've seen footage here and other places that is stunning. I'm getting one soon.
The only thing I'm worried about is canon somehow stopping ML..

it´s really funny. MÖVI is the biggest thing in film industry since the 5d mk2. compared to the raw hack for the mk3 it´s really a joke. laforet should say this. or he will loose his credibility. i think it´s really a ego thing. for sure the 1dc was until now a very good camera, besides it´s very high price, but now it lost a lot of it´s worth and if you are a 1dc owner, for some people it´s hard to say, "ok maybe i spend a few dollar too much for it". but i think people like phillp bloom and vincent laforet should really stay neutral because it´s their job and a lot of people listen to them. maybe not to laforet. he takes money from manufactors. and since the mövi thing nobody really listens to him:)

That argument is not an argument at all. Whether or not MOVi was some sponsored marketing ploy or not, the raw hack for 5D3 wasn't even known to work at that time...just FYI. The big surprise he didn't announce was Blackmagic's 4K camera.

That argument is not an argument at all. Whether or not MOVi was some sponsored marketing ploy or not, the raw hack for 5D3 wasn't even known to work at that time...just FYI. The big surprise he didn't announce was Blackmagic's 4K camera.

i know that it wasn´t known at that time but now it´s the right time to say that the raw hack is huge and not this overpriced gyro rig...

i know that it wasn´t known at that time but now it´s the right time to say that the raw hack is huge and not this overpriced gyro rig...

I'd agree that the gyro rig is not priced for the DSLR market looking for $700-3000 cameras at all...

I don't really care what anyone says or thinks. I've been obsessed with the footage from this camera since i first saw it Sunday night.
I don't have a mkiii but I do have a c 300 and this footage has a pow factor the 300 does not . I've seen footage here and other places that is stunning. I'm getting one soon.
The only thing I'm worried about is canon somehow stopping ML..

Happy to send you my 5D3 in even trade for your C300.  B)

M...The way I see it. It is Magic Lantern team who deserve the credit that the 5DII and III has. Imagine a parallel universe where a team called "SUPER LANTERN" played with the codec of a camera  named c1000 giving us 4K raw for the live view  mode. People would say "awesome camera! good canon stuff! blablabla" It is time to get serious, canon didn't do a thing and is still doing nothing, period 

By the way. Andrew, what AWESOME LOOKING lens you got there on the Mark III !? Leica? 

Excellent summary and update. I do share Vince's skepticism with regard to heat damage over a long period of time. Heat & Dust are the arch enemies of Digital Video and we know that 4K processing in a small container is going to result in parts decay eventually. Then again, this update is really for the installed base. I wouldn't run out and buy this camera just for 4K ( knowing that in the horse race, first out the gate, only sets the pace). No doubt, Nikon ( last out the gate) and the others are looking closely.
I'm still hopeful for that 4KRaw 10Bit in a smaller box but NOT a DSLR. Hell may freeze over before I get that wish fullfilled.

But once again what extra heat? It is simply pulling the liveview feed. The same feed the camera is spitting out ANY time you use liveview or movie mode. And then they are dumping to CF cards quickly. ALl-I mode also dumps to CF cards quickly as does someone holding the shutter down a lot for stills mode. Only in this case they are not running the h.264 compression chip as well and are probably using Digic LESS as well.

Does it leave a sour taste because I am being sour, or does it leave a sour taste because I criticised someone you like?

I suspect the latter.

Really, it is time for a more open and honest debate on the merits of our DSLR community leaders I think.

The "blogger" part left a sour taste in somebody mouth, but made me laugh since it was written by one.

I'm sorry man, I have respect for your work as a "researcher" in this domain, but too often you criticize way too far, people that have a different view from yours and your followers. I know for certain that you have a very low level for tolerating criticism toward yourself.

I'm not a fan of Laforet at all, but he is a quite good photographer of international level and became a pretty decent cinematographer. Is carrier at this point is at level well past "Reverie" (which, BTW was a video that any decent fashion photographer would have been able to do blind folded).  He has access to other kind of pro gear and he cannot waste time at the 1 dollar store anymore.

What is he supposed to say?

you did a lot of good work the past few days on testing this RAW thingy on the 5D. You did not need of making fun of anybody else that does not share your enthusiasm.