Boxer | Anamorphic 1.33x

Bozzie

• 7 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/20/2019 at 2:45 PM, webrunner5 said:

Bozzie you going to buy a PK4? That camera looks like it would fit right into your style.

I've thought about it. Even looked around for a bit to see if there were any available (Ha!). The spec on paper is incredible. And once BM release their BRAW codec for the little cam (which they eventually will) it'll be pretty much game over for the rest of the competition. And a no brainer for anyone looking to buy/upgrade.

BUT...

For me, I'll more than likely pass. I have one issue that I can't seem to get over --> Image Aesthetics. That is to say, image quality. To my eye the P4K has a digital edge I liken to something like a GH5. It doesn't have the organic film look of the original pocket, the texture, the "special sauce" if you will. I put this down to the new sensor. I personally haven't seen anything out there that has made me think otherwise. 

Though I have seen plenty of comments from users  who are absolutely in love with their P4K, even with early production quality faults. Rightly so too :)

-- B

• 4 weeks later...
16 hours ago, mercer said:

How do you like the Century Optics Anamorphic adapter? I’m looking for a simple Anamorphic set up for my 5D3 and it seems like the SLR Magic and Century options are the simplest... other than an Iscorama 36 or 54 but they’re way out of my price range.

Btw, which Zeiss 25mm did you use here?

I really like the Century Optics. Def prefer it over the SLR Magic for one main reason - It has an organic vibe to the image with focus imperfections I'd probably liken to a 90's movie shot in 2.35:1 anamorphic. The SLR is way too sharp for my own personal taste, too "digital" with blue flares that look like felt pen streaks. 

I used the Carl Zeiss T2.8 25mm Distagon Prime Lens. ?

14 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Looks like 8bit 4.2.2 is not that big of a deal over 8 bit 4.2.0 and buying a Atomos Ninja V to get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4586b8iR2Y

Not sure you were meaning to post this here? ? From a personal stand point, 4.2.2 vs 4.2.0, external recorders etc all really becomes irrelevant if all an individual is doing is posting up videos to platforms such as YouTube and Vimeo. The compression alone makes the differences redundant, IMHO. I feel the same way about individuals shooting at excessive bit rates who are under the impression that their video quality will hold up better once uploaded to said platforms. 

It states:

"ALL THINGS RAW! Cameras including Blackmagic and codecs like ProRes RAW and BRAW. Accessories like external recorders and workflows including raw compatible NLEs."

Ehh maybe not truly related to Raw but I think it fits in.I am just trying to save someone a buck from thinking they are going to see some huge gain from the purchase. It would appear not to be the case. YMMV.

On 2/17/2019 at 4:30 PM, webrunner5 said:

It states:

"ALL THINGS RAW! Cameras including Blackmagic and codecs like ProRes RAW and BRAW. Accessories like external recorders and workflows including raw compatible NLEs."

Ehh maybe not truly related to Raw but I think it fits in.I am just trying to save someone a buck from thinking they are going to see some huge gain from the purchase. It would appear not to be the case. YMMV.

Whoops, I think we crossed wires a little! I meant in this particular thread. Thought it might have been accidentally posted here ?