Tokina 28-70mm 2.6-2.8 Faulty Infinity Focus?

JordanWright

So I ordered a Tokina 28-70mm 2.6-2.8 EF from eBay but after testing it, it seems that it doesn't reach anywhere close to infinity focus on the wide end. does anyone know of a fix to this or will I have to return? Im using a GH5 with a Speedbooster XL. Here is a comparison between 28mm, 50mm and 70mm focusing on the kettle/ infinity.

P1077346.JPG

P1077347.JPG

P1077348.JPG

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It actually might be the combination with the speed booster. Did you try to adjust the optical element to fix it?

http://www.metabones.com/article/of/infinity-adjustment-speed-booster-only

I also heard that with some focal reducer brand/model + lens combinations, there are issues that it's not possible to get perfect infinity focus.

1 hour ago, JordanWright said:

Update: I removed the optical block from the speedbooster and the issue remains which leads me to believe that it is in fact an issue with the lens itself.

That won't work as the  adaptor body is not the same thickness as the non speedbooster adapter. With speedboosters the adjustment if you are short of infinity is to wind the optical group towards the sensor.

SUCCESS!

Just to finish this thread, I replaced the eBay purchased Metabones XL with a new one. The new one had much tighter tolerances and even a weather sealed gasket on the back. I had to adjust the infinity focus a small amount but now my XL and Tokina 28-70mm work great together! 

• 2 years later...

I had many Tokina APS-C 11-16mm, they all had infinity focus issues. Canon lenses for instance go past infinity focus, there's a margin of error, meaning you're sure to hit infinity focus. The Tokinas, they're right on the infinite or just before... They also have lots of chromatic aberrations which I can still see on your picture. Those problems with their lenses are a shame as I otherwise like their products.