A good compact camera for 4K videos. max 900 euro

FoxAdriano

14 minutes ago, TwoScoops said:

My thoughts too. And throw on a Tiffen satin,  pro mist, or similar to take the digital edge off.

Yeah good advice. They do look a bit too Digital. Those filters really help. kidzrevil uses them a lot.The GH4 was pretty much the best camera the average Joe Blow could afford with a Speedbooster on them just 1 1/2 years ago! And you are going to spend more on a Sony RX...! Yikes, No way!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
1 hour ago, nigelbb said:

@BTM_Pix Thank you very much for the interesting insights from someone who actually owns & uses the RX100 & LX15.

I am glad to hear that it's possible to get a thread mount RX100 as inability to fit a filter was putting me off.

Do you have a link to the teleconverter? I have seen some very cheap & nasty ones that are frankly a waste of money as just using digital zoom will produce a better image but if you have found a good one I would be interested.

It is a Sony VCL-HG 2030 and was discontinued many moons ago I think but I spotted it in a second hand shop for £30. It used to be about £200 when new so it was a bargain but obviously I still had to negotiate a bit more off !

You can see a few of them on eBay for similar prices so there's plenty of them out there.

The caveat is that the 30 in the name indicates the filter thread size so the standard filter adapters for these small cameras are 52mm to stay out of the way of the zoom mechanism so you'll need a step down converter.

It also means of course that with it not covering the full width it is like putting a crop lens on a full frame camera so you'll need to zoom in to just over 50mm equivalent to avoid seeing it.

But it's there to extend the range anyway so that's no issue whatsoever as far as I'm concerned. 

So you're looking basically at it being 2x extension on the 50-90mm range (or 108mm on the LX15 in 4K) so it makes it a 100-180mm zoom (or 100-216mm on the LX15 in 4K) that you can have in your pocket for if the need arises.

I know it's all a bit old school using tele converters but I routinely use them professionally for work so the problem isn't tele converters per se but shit ones ?

I'll do a few shots with the LX15 tomorrow (I haven't got the RX100 with me on this trip) with and without and put them up.

With regard to the filter thread adapter, I've got a generic stick on one for the RX100 but for the LX15 I've got a posh Carry Speed magnetic holder one.

@nigelbb I bought the RX10ii shortly after returning the RX100 V and found the RX10ii vastly superior in usability. I suppose if you only want the RX100 as an occasional B-Cam or for inconspicuous run and gun B-Unit shots, it will prove useful. 

However, I don’t see what is gained by trading up your RX10ii for the Mark III... especially considering the loss of the constant aperture and the internal NDs.

7 hours ago, nigelbb said:

The LX10 is crippled in other ways as regards video though as a sensor crop is used so in 1080p the lens is a 30-90mm FF equivalent & in 4K is 36-108mm FF equivalent so badly lacking at the wide end.

You have still not come up with a single camera model that answers the OP's requirements. On the other hand my suggestion of the Sony RX100 matches all requirements. The OP doesn't tell us what they want the camera for so while a 5 minute clip limit may be an issue for talking head interviews it certainly isn't for creative narrative cinematography.

I mean, there aren't a lot of options to tick all of boxes the OPs wants. I'm gonna guess though that they'd like to shoot 4k video for longer than 5 minutes... Most people here do, even if they're doing narrative work. 

The LX10 seems like a great option for them, though. 

5 hours ago, mercer said:

@nigelbb I bought the RX10ii shortly after returning the RX100 V and found the RX10ii vastly superior in usability. I suppose if you only want the RX100 as an occasional B-Cam or for inconspicuous run and gun B-Unit shots, it will prove useful. 

However, I don’t see what is gained by trading up your RX10ii for the Mark III... especially considering the loss of the constant aperture and the internal NDs.

What is gained is the extra zoom from 200-600mm so that I only need one camera. I shoot more photographs than video nowadays & often wind up using the FZ1000 more because of the option of extra zoom from 200-400mm. At 1095g the RX10M3 is quite a bit heavier than the RX10M2 (813g) but even today I have to very deliberately go out with my pair of cameras but if I were to get an RX100 too then I would carry that on far more occasions.

I used the "Mag filter stick to the front of the lens in 58mm thread" , no vignette in 24mm equivalent view, got from EBAY NEW. Worked very well with slim ,lightweight filters......

Couple of small things but helpful was to move the screen away from the body, open the flash housing , and opened the covers to the ports from memory - anything to slow down the overheating process.

Just for the heck of it -  I just grabbed a GOPRO 6 with the KNEKT Dome and trigger for a Hardy Reef dive on the Australian Great Barrier Reef and with the Linear in 2.7 K gives you a bit of a zoom. Reasonable battery life, bit of a flat profile for colour grading, ultra small and worked past 5 minutes in 4K ...... Touch screen and RAW for stills if you please..

IMG_1236.JPG

• Super Members

A couple of quick comparison shots from yesterday showing the LX15 lens range from max wide to max telephoto and then with the £25 2x TC on it when used in full tourist mode.

Using the mag filter thread adapter its really, really quick to just pop it on when you're at max tele on the internal lens and think "Nope, not tele enough" ;)

I'll do the same with the RX100M5 (which may be relevant if all you want an M6 for is the range) when I get back and make a new thread regarding operation and caveats over performance.

LX15 Tc2 (4).jpg

On 6/10/2018 at 2:04 AM, nigelbb said:

The GH4 weighs 560gm without a lens & in comparison to the small bridge cameras is not by any stretch "compact camera but really compact"

"Compact" is super vague, to some people the Nikon D7500 is a "compact 4K" camera (certainly is next to a D850 or D5! Or any 4K cinema camera), while there would be vlogs who think the RX100 is too bulky as it isn't as compact as their 4K smartphone!