Zooom H1 as a preamp?

Grégory LEROY

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
44 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Where does the line out from the H1 go into the D5500?

It is not line level. It is mic level

Is there a line in jack on the D5500?

No.

Does it plug into the mic jack?

Yes

On 6/6/2018 at 5:54 AM, Grégory LEROY said:

it worth it the extra bulk? have I done something wrong? any recommandation?

I did a series of docs a year ago recording wireless audio onto a H1.

All audio was recorded "out-board" and, in post, the H1 audio and cam-audio tracks were synced with Plural Eyes.

The Zoom and audio receiver were carried in my pockets. This allowed me to be rather incognito since that extra gear was off the camera.  More importantly, this also allowed me to not be tethered to the camera via the headphone cable.  Liked it better that way; no weird boxes, rubber bands, or wires on top of my camera --or wires running to the camera.

That would be my recommendation, assuming you're willing to do a little post-audio-sync work.  You'll get better audio using the H1 recording anyway, and your camera will have a little more freedom when out there actually doing stuff.

(I love those old Nikkor lenses, btw.  That's the 24mm, right?)

5 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

@IronFilm

Thanks for the clarification.

I was confused by @cantsin post above talking about having a camera with a line in port.

The BM Pocket, to which I referred, has the option to switch the audio-in minijack port between mic-in and line-in. 

Using a preamplifier before a mic-in is something I would never do.

15 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

I was confused by @cantsin post above talking about having a camera with a line in port.

People use the term "line" very casually, rather than keeping to the strict technical definition. 

9 hours ago, cantsin said:

The BM Pocket, to which I referred, has the option to switch the audio-in minijack port between mic-in and line-in. 

Oh true, but it probably is not skipping the mic pre amp at all is my guess. 

Unless the schematics of the H1n specifically shows a different path for line in, then most likely it it just attenuating the signal down before the mic pre amp (which is how low budget recorders usually do it). 

On 6/6/2018 at 9:46 PM, hijodeibn said:

Yes Gregory, absolutely worth it the extra bulk, but later in post, use the recorded sound from the H1, since you are also recording in parallel the sound to the camera, it is very easy to replace it with the H1.....

ahhhh, I didn't know I could record both in the same time ! thanks for the tips !

On 6/6/2018 at 6:46 PM, cantsin said:

Definitely a good low-cost solution for improving in-camera recorded sound, if your camera has a line-in port. Used the same setup for my Blackmagic Pocket.

Thanks for your feed back

On 6/7/2018 at 12:02 AM, IronFilm said:

If the D5500 is so very bad then turn up the RX output and turn down the D5500

Yes I did it, thanks