Tips for achieving this style if cinematography

Charlie

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Minor note, but if you're shooting 4K and outputting to 1080 you can do the shaky-cam / stutter / re-framing stuff in post (albeit at the cost of a bunch of editing time).  Might be challenging to get that 16mm hand-held film camera look unless you're practiced at it.

By the looks of it it's 100% digital.
Simple step by step: use auto exposure, mess up levels at import, mess up grading badly, slap a filter on it, pretend it's working as intended.

By evidence if you cut things fast enough ppl won't notice how incredibly bad it really looks.

Anyway enough about that.
It looks like some shots where cropped and re framed/moved in post, lot of the closeup looks a little too close to be shot that way, but who knows.
I think it's the time skip that makes the "home look" work for telling the story.
I'm not a super fan of the too close up and the added shaking filter makes some of the pans look really odd if you look closely.

smile dear.JPG

Jesus Christ I had to take a Sea Sick pill after watching that video! Talk about camera movement. He must have taken 4 Black Mollies before he shot it. I think the video sucks ass to be honest. My pointer is delete the damn thing LoL.

26 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Grow up

Some people really Love Fats Chicks. not me, but it seems the skinnier the guy is the fatter the women is he is with in my experience. The old "there is a lid for every pot" thingy.

It's a nice attempt at something that feels classic, but the quick editing kills it for me.
I sometimes wonder if I'm the only one who can't really handle this kind of attention deficit editing anymore... it actually disconnects me from the piece.

In addition to the useful (and immature / tasteless) contributions above, another thing would be to shoot a huge amount.  Faster cuts means more shots.

Think about it like this, if shots are held for 1s instead of 4s each and every one of those 1s shots are the 'right' moment (framing smile etc) and are in a different location then that means you need 4 times as many shots.

TBH you're either a genius or you're crazy to try and apply this to a wedding scenario, and I really hope that the couple (and guests) really understand what it involves.  If you've got a couple who are having a simple outdoor ceremony and are willing to do lots of location changes and poses etc for an hour or two (or four!) then that's totally cool, but if you're going to try and apply this type of film-making to a traditional wedding then you're either going to get normal shots and not create something like this or you're going to interrupt their wedding day a huge amount, and potentially both.

Good luck - it's a beautiful style, although I would have thought that IS of some kind would have kept the hand-held look but cut out the sharper jitters making a nicer final product.

3 hours ago, Davey said:

Most couples in the UK would be happy with four hours CCTV footage and a few snaps from a mobile phone. A bonus reel containing shots of uncle Alf rolling around drunk in the hotel fountain completes everybody's joy.

This gave me a laugh:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1368143/Wedding-videographer-ordered-pay-compensation-dreadful-350-video.html

You should speak with the bridge and groom first to see if they would like this style.

If you are going to go through with it, just remember to keep it all about dynamism. Keep moving to different places. Posing differently, with different objects in the surrounding.

Camera-wise. To me it looks like it was shot on real 16mm. The chroma on some of the shots is very characteristic of it. But they may have exaggerated it a bit by adding light leaks.

Don't bother shooting 4k. You need to keep rolling shutter at a minimum. Perhaps use some diffusion filters to get closer to this filmic look.

1 hour ago, Inazuma said:

Camera-wise. To me it looks like it was shot on real 16mm. The chroma on some of the shots is very characteristic of it. But they may have exaggerated it a bit by adding light leaks.

It's real 16mm, shot on negative stock - as you can see in the few tiny white emulsion spots in the image, despite the low-resolution scan/rendering of the video. Plus, there is zero rolling shutter despite the heavy camera movement.

EDIT: It's a typical 16mm handheld look, pioneered in 1960s experimental filmmaking, among others by Jonas Mekas: 

The previous comments that suggested that this was shot on a DSLR with 4K cropping are completely off and written by people who seem to have no experience with analog filmmaking.

12 minutes ago, Kieran said:

Some of the Max Mara video may have been shot on film but I still think it's mostly digital. You can do a lot digitally to emulate a film look these days. 

Okay, let's do some research:

I'd say that it was shot on 16mm, but all editing and postproduction - including the film burn effects - was done digitally.

12 minutes ago, cantsin said:

Okay, let's do some research:

I also did some research, found Cass Bird and I have already emailed her earlier today asking her about the video.

Well done on finding the potential cinematographer. It's looking very likely that you were right...

EDIT: looks like he got that Bolex:

bernabeo.jpg