Tips for achieving this style if cinematography

Charlie

2 hours ago, BenEricson said:

I’d be vanilla. The typical drone and overcranked GH5 kit. Probably not the right look for a wedding film, but at least this was interesting. Seriously it is okay to clip highlights in natural light if it benefits the shot and gives realistic contrast. 

I was being sarcastic actually..  thus the crazy emoticon.  Sorry if it didn't translate. 

2 hours ago, BenEricson said:

The OP asked a simple question, only to get a dozen responses weirdly questioning the shooting style of the footage. Weak.

Not sure if this is directed at me?  Anyway, I tried to be truthful but also helpful - I've seen BTS videos of weddings shot in very unusual styles and the couple were completely cool with it, so it can definitely work, but it needs to fit with the situation and expectations of the couple and the guests.

29 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I don't know whether they have designed them to do this but here is how I use the mounting clamps they provide with Amaran M9s as a bridge to connect my two together. 

1924069662_amarana9.thumb.jpg.1a3ecd66932d3912bbca02f0bab06ece.jpg

Being able to break them down into singles (two of them will just about fit in the carrying pouch for one) and then use them individually or combine them to make something bigger makes them even more useful.

You could definitely extend this out to connect four if needed.

That is an excellent idea.  If I ever need a more powerful light (unlikely considering I don't really use lights much) I'll consider just buying a second one.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I don't know whether they have designed them to do this but here is how I use the mounting clamps they provide with Amaran M9s as a bridge to connect my two together. 

1924069662_amarana9.thumb.jpg.1a3ecd66932d3912bbca02f0bab06ece.jpg

Being able to break them down into singles (two of them will just about fit in the carrying pouch for one) and then use them individually or combine them to make something bigger makes them even more useful.

You could definitely extend this out to connect four if needed.

Out of likes. Nice tip.

On 6/18/2018 at 11:25 PM, Inazuma said:

So how did it go?

I am only just catching up on all the great comments (as usual!), haven't been around for a while.

I shot it but haven't started the edit yet, when it is finished I'll post it here for you all to tear to shreds! ?

On 6/3/2018 at 11:02 PM, fuzzynormal said:

Yup.

I don't know the OP from anything, and maybe I'm projecting from the wisdom of my own experiences, but the original question seems like a naive one on a few levels.

Maybe I'm wrong!  No offense OP.  Hope you were successful!

No offence taken!

I'll find out if i was successful when i edit it together hahahahahah!!......Anyway, I am only creating "highlights" type video, they didn't pay me enough for anything longer. They are fully aware of what I am aiming for and like the idea, they want me to use "The Meters - Just Kissed My Baby" for the music so it won't be the typical cheesy video all shot in slow mo with bloody Coldplay as the backing music!!!!!!!!!!

This is one of my reels...

24 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I'll find out if i was successful when i edit it together hahahahahah!!......Anyway, I am only creating "highlights" type video, they didn't pay me enough for anything longer. They are fully aware of what I am aiming for and like the idea, they want me to use "The Meters - Just Kissed My Baby" for the music so it won't be the typical cheesy video all shot in slow mo with bloody Coldplay as the backing music!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome - my concern was if they knew what they were getting but if they're into it then that will be really cool.  I like it when people do something a little different :)

The combination of that song (the amount of style and how rhythmic it is) and your editing and shooting style will be something to see - your reel looked good and had a few cool moments where the visuals matched the music, but not so many that it distracted too much.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with ?

Too much unnecessary movement. Too much, and too many Amstel beers, that is not a good lager!

Also some random shots in there, and it seems like you shot the whole wedding on a boat.

It certainly has a style, and you can earn a lot of money when you improve it but the most important thing, is to watch it again, and truly see what works, and what not.

I shot recently a wedding, we were 2 persons, using only 35 and 85mm lenses (Sony full frame cameras). 

Even using the crop mode, I found the whole procedure too slow and too limiting. I love going 24mm when wide (even wider for my establishing shots) and near 80mm for my portraits, (so, a 16-50 APS-C is ideal).

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Too much unnecessary movement. Too much, and too many Amstel beers, that is not a good lager!

Too many Amstel!!! hahahahhahahahah

Fair point on the movement, though I kinda like it! 

Not sure what you mean about the lenses??, this was shot on gh5, with a speed booster and Zeiss 28mm and some Zeiss 85mm

2 hours ago, Charlie said:

Too many Amstel!!! hahahahhahahahah

Fair point on the movement, though I kinda like it! 

Not sure what you mean about the lenses??, this was shot on gh5, with a speed booster and Zeiss 28mm and some Zeiss 85mm

I understand that you are forming your style, I am sure you are going to earn a lot of money from weddings! I may be too oldschool, but I needed a few times of "pause", some time to breath in your edit, just my humble opinion of course.

I noticed that you used a couple of prime lenses, again that is your style and I respect it greatly, but personally, I find a good zoom lens liberating for such jobs - that can be more stressful and demanding, later on in your career.

Keep up the good work, and I am waiting eagerly your next project. Next level? Heineken!

Actually pretty impressed with how it ended up, nice work! Slightly too much movement for my tastes as well, especially when you're swinging around the guys while they laugh. But I like the energy, and the grade emulates the style you originally showed. Like others have said, I felt it could have used a few more beauty shots in between the movement. And perhaps the movement could have been slightly less agressive, it feels you are reaching for a style.

It's definitely 'there' though. I like the use of primes, shots have great character to them that I feel is lost with zoom lenses a lot of the time.

(edit: Oh! Also, does the GH5 REALLY have that little rolling shutter? Couldn't dare do some of these movements with the A7SII. I've heard it's gotten a lot better with the GH5/S and the new A7III, but I didn't know it was that good)

2 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Actually pretty impressed with how it ended up, nice work! Slightly too much movement for my tastes as well, especially when you're swinging around the guys while they laugh. But I like the energy, and the grade emulates the style you originally showed. Like others have said, I felt it could have used a few more beauty shots in between the movement. And perhaps the movement could have been slightly less agressive, it feels you are reaching for a style.

It's definitely 'there' though. I like the use of primes, shots have great character to them that I feel is lost with zoom lenses a lot of the time.

(edit: Oh! Also, does the GH5 REALLY have that little rolling shutter? Couldn't dare do some of these movements with the A7SII. I've heard it's gotten a lot better with the GH5/S and the new A7III, but I didn't know it was that good)

Thanks, appreciate the comment. I do get that the excessive movement might not go down well with everyone, in fact as it's the only wedding video I have to show people to get more wedding work, I'm concerned because this is not a "traditional" wedding video, it might put other couples off from hiring me!! 

Yes the GH5 rolling shutter is that good!!.. I'd love to move to Sony but the rolling shutter SUCKS and i like working with my shoulder rig, not a gimbal. 

• Super Members
40 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I do get that the excessive movement might not go down well with everyone, in fact as it's the only wedding video I have to show people to get more wedding work, I'm concerned because this is not a "traditional" wedding video, it might put other couples off from hiring me!! 

The flip side of that though is that the people who do get it and don't want the traditional one will be prepared to pay for that style and you won't constantly be in a pricing war with other producers who make those traditional ones.

Go your own way, make your own market and own it.

You won't get every job but you'll get the jobs where people want what you are creating more than they want the lower price you are charging.

17 hours ago, Charlie said:

Thanks, appreciate the comment. I do get that the excessive movement might not go down well with everyone, in fact as it's the only wedding video I have to show people to get more wedding work, I'm concerned because this is not a "traditional" wedding video, it might put other couples off from hiring me!! 

Yes the GH5 rolling shutter is that good!!.. I'd love to move to Sony but the rolling shutter SUCKS and i like working with my shoulder rig, not a gimbal. 

Incredible. I heard the A73 is much closer, but that is really impressive. One thing I will say with the movement is make sure it's motivated. At times it can look like you're moving for movement's sake. I think in these high end fashion videos of the same style, the movement tends to follow a 'logical' path the human eye would take. I checked the original video and the movement tends to go like this: eyes > feet, feet > eyes, swinging bag > eyes etc etc

And if you watch again, there is a lot of movement, but a lot of shots are focused on the eyes with some swaying here and there. There's a shot where she's running through a pool, the camera focuses on her smile, and then moves down to view her feet going through the water. It feels like a natural and logical movement.

That's probably a lot of words on pretty much the same point, but I think it's an interesting topic. Movement is so rarely discussed and is a huge part of cinematography.

@Charlie Nice work!!  It's always nice to see a finished project come together and this one sure did, style and then some.

I said in my post some time ago you were either a genius, or you were crazy, and I think it's somewhere in between, considering that it's pretty out there, but it still ticks the boxes for a wedding video in showing the right moments, showing the right people, and having a celebratory vibe that matches the couple but will still be ok for grandma.

Everyone has an opinion, but there are only a few that matter, firstly the clients and if they were happy with it, and secondly if you were happy with it.  If you were happy (with allowances for you taking notes on improvements for next time - none of us ever thinks a project was perfect!) then that is what will get you over the line with the next couple when they call and you start talking about what you could do for them.

16 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The flip side of that though is that the people who do get it and don't want the traditional one will be prepared to pay for that style and you won't constantly be in a pricing war with other producers who make those traditional ones.

Go your own way, make your own market and own it.

You won't get every job but you'll get the jobs where people want what you are creating more than they want the lower price you are charging.

Absolutely.

Walk tall, offer a reliable service where you deliver on what you promise and the world is your oyster.   My wedding wasn't a traditional one and whenever anyone asks about it they always say things like "I wish I could have done that" or "wow, I'm not that brave" etc, so there is a latent desire in a surprising number of people to do something that's a bit more about them and a bit less like how things have been done for hundreds of years.

Plenty of people get married and the Hallmark cinematographers will get the bulk, but live the dream and do it your way! ????

8 hours ago, kye said:

Hallmark cinematographers will get the bulk, but live the dream and do it your way!

I can do the Hallmark style, that's easy - put everything in slow mo, add zhiyun crane, blend with Ed Sheeran, sprinkle in the odd drone shot because hey, it's like totally cool...season with microwave LUT cus...dem colus dough innit...........?

Heard back from the couple today...

"CHARLIE!!

WOW! We absolutely love the video! THANK YOU SO MUCH! It was so wonderful having you there to capture everything. THANK YOU SO MUCH! It really does capture the happiness of the day and everyone's crazy personalities! WOWOWOW!

Truly can't thank you enough! We'd love to be a reference for you if you need!

THANK YOU!"

what i do:

flat profile, vintage slr lens, low depth of field, composing a cinematography shot(the most important thing for me, how i do that? well for my, a cinematographic shot is when your shot are telling a story or with the composition, looks out of frame, overshoulders on dialogue, camera movements, pan focus, etc, take care of what you want to tell with your video, and translate that to your shots, define what resources help for that, color, camera movements, dop etc..)

final 24fps, maybe 1/50 or 1/48 shutter speed, but i shoot alot at 1/250 an still look cinematographic.
for color correction, film stock like Film from redgiant and filmconverter work amazing, specially on the blur that add help to avoid the digital sharpness.
chose a film curve that you like, and well, thats is i think.

of course, the editing is important too.

1 hour ago, capitanazo said:

but i shoot alot at 1/250 an still look cinematographic

I recently heard a wedding film-maker explain that they don't use NDs,  and use Aperture priority and just let the camera expose with SS.  I thought about it for a while and I guess with weddings there normally isn't much fast action during the day when SS will be short, and then after dark the SS will be longer anyway so the fast-paced dancing etc at the reception will be more cinematic.  

So weddings is particularly suited to that mode - if you're shooting sports it's not going to work.

I'm contemplating moving to that style of shooting for my personal home and travel videos as having the camera auto-expose from full daylight to full dimly lit interiors would really make shooting that much easier.  The alternative is full manual and having to expose with a variable ND, which is just another thing to think about while shooting.