Tips for achieving this style if cinematography

Charlie

12 hours ago, kye said:

you're either a genius or you're crazy ... either going to get normal shots and not create something like this or you're going to interrupt their wedding day a huge amount, and potentially both.

Imho, this is the most straightforward and practical advice in the comment thread. Also telling in that it has nothing to do with the gear...which is typically the case on most successful projects. 

Wonder what happened with the OP's shoot. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

the same thing everyone does after the first wedding they agree to shoot.

Yup.

I don't know the OP from anything, and maybe I'm projecting from the wisdom of my own experiences, but the original question seems like a naive one on a few levels.

Maybe I'm wrong!  No offense OP.  Hope you were successful!

I think it might be a combo of both. Some shots in it seem Way to clean to be 16mm film in my opinion.  look at the frame grad on the couch, no way that is 16mm film out of a Bolex I ever used. Or like has been said,  parts or all digitally edited. I don't think Any of it was really shot on film to be honest.

I shot a lot of 16 in the day with a Bolex and even s16mm was not as clean as that couch shot. But with Digital editing, which I never did with film, I guess anything is possible.

I would call this a kind of commercialized Verite style. but I would go back to the source, something like Vertovs Man With a Movie Camera. it may give you a bit of context for your attempt as if it doesn’t work, at least you can back up your decision with theory... it will help you sleep at night if it goes tits up. My advice would be to shoot on tripod only. Shoot full frame 4K so you can add all the shake, mist filters and refocuses you desire with Red Giant Universe or similar. You can also add the leaks etc. I would bet you just keep It simple in the edit after you see what nonsense this style is when used for the wrong reasons. 

15 hours ago, HelsinkiZim said:

something like Vertovs Man With a Movie Camera. 

Ha!  I can imagine a wedding video made using the creepy doll montage from Man With A Movie Camera.  The bride could be posed in various storefronts, ending with a scary doll that is riding a stationary bicycle using the bride's legs.

In case anyone is still interested in what the Max Mara video was shot on, I just heard back from Chris Bernabeo who was kind enough to reply to my email enquiry.

He said he didn't shoot it but he does work for the director.

He confirmed "it's a mix of HD digital (most likely on an Arri Alexa) and 16mm film on a Bolex."

So now we know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2018 at 6:42 AM, Davey said:

Most couples in the UK would be happy with four hours CCTV footage and a few snaps from a mobile phone. A bonus reel containing shots of uncle Alf rolling around drunk in the hotel fountain completes everybody's joy.

Never again will I pour my heart into a wedding film.

Hahaha haha lololololzlzllololz 

That's gotta be the best comment I've read on here yet!!

On 6/3/2018 at 5:36 AM, cantsin said:

It's real 16mm, shot on negative stock - as you can see in the few tiny white emulsion spots in the image, despite the low-resolution scan/rendering of the video. Plus, there is zero rolling shutter despite the heavy camera movement.

EDIT: It's a typical 16mm handheld look, pioneered in 1960s experimental filmmaking, among others by Jonas Mekas: 

The previous comments that suggested that this was shot on a DSLR with 4K cropping are completely off and written by people who seem to have no experience with analog filmmaking.

Your crazy to call that 'Film making". That looks like a drunken sailor shot it on a Barbie Cam LoL.

This film sort of reminds me of Jackson Pollock the painter that dribbled, and threw paint on a canvas on the floor, and people thought it was the Cats Ass. Is it art or just crazy shit that is cultist? I tend to think the Latter on both. I am not saying things have to be perfection, but just being sloppy as hell, hmm.

But, and this is a Big but, I think this short is a Winner. It ain't normal as they say.

And this one, shot on a Red Scarlet, is the most watched short on Vimeo.

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Your crazy to call that 'Film making". That looks like a drunken sailor shot it on a Barbie Cam LoL.

I know!! Just think what it would be like if it was shot on a GH5..  the shots would be stable, with nice colours and no clipped highlights..  of course, the people would still be out of focus, but nothing is perfect! ?

16 minutes ago, kye said:

I know!! Just think what it would be like if it was shot on a GH5..  the shots would be stable, with nice colours and no clipped highlights..  of course, the people would still be out of focus, but nothing is perfect! ?

Yeah but what is crazy is that this film is in a way is so bad it is good. it's up there getting looks. So hey, what the hell LoL.

I am not sure where to put this lighting video. But I guess here is not the worse place. I found this video using 2 damn small Aperture LEDs. I don't see how a person can be without them to be honest. They are that handy for something you can have in your pockets.

18 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but what is crazy is that this film is in a way is so bad it is good. it's up there getting looks. So hey, what the hell LoL.

Art vs Engineering.

When the purpose of something is to please the senses, then Engineering can help to achieve that, but often Engineering runs away with itself and forgets the end-goal.

I believe that every decision about a concrete aspect of film-making (the way a sensor responds to light, DR, shutter speed, colour balance, frame rate, audio frequency response, music pace and style, the words in the script, the costumes, the hair / makeup, the objects on set, etc etc etc) has a subjective impression associated with it.
The 'art' of a film (or how good it is) is down to how well each of those decisions were aligned with the overall goal of the film.

For example, if you were shooting a futuristic sci-fi, using 8mm film, poor audio frequency response, period costumes, classical music, etc would be a terrible choice as these are all aligned with a period piece.  Similarly, having loud heavy metal music, desaturated cold colours, overall low-key high contrast lighting, aggressive characters, etc would make a terrible rom-com, but is a good starting point for a horror film.

Those who understand the aesthetic associations of their tangible decisions made throughout the creation process will do well in creating a finished product where the elements contribute to a coherent and powerful final experience for the audience.

Engineering is providing us with options to control aspects of the process, Art is choosing from those options.

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I am not sure where to put this lighting video. But I guess here is not the worse place. I found this video using 2 damn small Aperture LEDs. I don't see how a person can be without them to be honest. They are that handy for something you can have in your pockets

I like them too.  I have the smaller one of those and also bought two cheap eBay LED ones that also charge off USB.  

The Aputure one has a high CRI and the others are a bit blue in comparison so they make nice kicker / hair / background lights with a bit of colour contrast.  Also, they all fit into the little pocket-camera sized case that the Aputure comes in, so I have a (low power) three point lighting setup that fits in a pocket!

It's what I used to take this photo:

IMG_1689.jpg

A good addition to those is the smallest Gorillapod and then you can easily mount them places like doorframes, backs of chairs, etc.

3504e21657c8fbed4e7adbef06c5b14c_01_0031

4 hours ago, kye said:

I’d be vanilla. The typical drone and overcranked GH5 kit. Probably not the right look for a wedding film, but at least this was interesting. Seriously it is okay to clip highlights in natural light if it benefits the shot and gives realistic contrast. 

The OP asked a simple question, only to get a dozen responses weirdly questioning the shooting style of the footage. Weak.

4 hours ago, kye said:

Those who understand the aesthetic associations of their tangible decisions made throughout the creation process will do well in creating a finished product where the elements contribute to a coherent and powerful final experience for the audience.

Yes. 

• Super Members

I don't know whether they have designed them to do this but here is how I use the mounting clamps they provide with Amaran M9s as a bridge to connect my two together. 

1924069662_amarana9.thumb.jpg.1a3ecd66932d3912bbca02f0bab06ece.jpg

Being able to break them down into singles (two of them will just about fit in the carrying pouch for one) and then use them individually or combine them to make something bigger makes them even more useful.

You could definitely extend this out to connect four if needed.