Can anyone help me dissect this colour grade?

Jordan Lee

I'm sure you've all seen this kind of low-contrast, desaturated teal/orange commercial colour grade before, but I can't quite seem to get the look right on my own. Obviously a lot of it is how it's shot and with what kind of lighting and camera, but what kind of steps would you personally take (using Lumetri in Premiere for example) to work toward this kind of aesthetic? I've tried a mix of lifting the blacks/shadows, bringing down the highlights, lowering the contrast, playing with the curves, but everything I try just looks cheap next to something like this:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I really don't think it is a grade at all. I think it is just a SLog 2, CLog, etc. OOC to be honest. Probably the reason you can't get a grade something like it.

Nothing written in stone you even Have to grade a in camera Log. It might be modified a bit but maybe not..

I see a few techniques but imo I would call the general look low-key lighting https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-key_lighting

I often find commercials fall into either high key beauty or this. it’s a look camera peoples tend to shoot on Reds, but I guess every cinema camera with good dynamic range can do it. however, Kendy Ty does it with a T2i?

I would look for those keywords + resolve tutorial etc on the inter webs. At least that’s where I would start, but I am certain the is more to it than a grade. silhouette, noir lighting etc