Easier 5D Mark III raw guide in 4 steps

Andrew Reid

I am using Mac OSX 10.7.5 and cannot get the RAW2DNG application to work.  I donwloaded the latest from the guide.  When I open it, a terminal window comes up with this:

Last login: Sat May 18 17:45:53 on ttys000
Geoff-Georges-MacBook-Pro:~ gsg$ /Users/gsg/Desktop/5DRAW/RAWTEST5/raw2dng\ 2 ; exit;

usage:

/Users/gsg/Desktop/5DRAW/RAWTEST5/raw2dng 2 file.raw [prefix]

=> will create prefix000000.dng, prefix0000001.dng and so on.

logout

[Process completed]

I drag and drop a file into the terminal window and nothing happens.  How do I use this program?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Hello Andrew,
First, thank you so much for creating this 4 step process. My question is similar to member Nahuas question (page 2 of this thread). I did everything exactly as the directions stated, yet when I hit the start/stop button my camera does not record. Do you have any suggestions?

1. I do first ensure that Raw is enabled
2. I am successful in loading modules
3. I'm shooting a 5D Mark III
4. I downgraded to 1.1.3
5. I am using a Lexar x1000

Thank you in advance for your time.
Regards,
Paul

Hello Andrew,
First, thank you so much for creating this 4 step process. My question is similar to member Nahuas question (page 2 of this thread). I did everything exactly as the directions stated, yet when I hit the start/stop button my camera does not record. Do you have any suggestions?

1. I do first ensure that Raw is enabled
2. I am successful in loading modules
3. I'm shooting a 5D Mark III
4. I downgraded to 1.1.3
5. I am using a Lexar x1000

Thank you in advance for your time.
Regards,
Paul

@ Paul - did you enable the RAW recording in the menu?  After you load the module, go back to the video tab and RAW recording is on the bottom.  It has to have a green indicator next to it for it to be enabled.  Press the SET button to toggle it.  Press the Q (quick) button to get into the options (like resolution).  Then press the trash can button to get back to live view.  When in live view, you press the start/stop as if you were recording regular video.  I hope this helps.

Yeah it does work.  But Mac version can't do more than 50GB single file.  Still way better than the 4GB (30 seconds) limitation from the first build.  I've processed 20GB files now without any problems.

Good morning.  As many others have said, thanks for posting the the 5D Mark III Raw Recording Install Guide.  Thus far I have downloaded all but the EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.1.3 as outlined in your instructions for those of us who have already upgraded.  When going to your dropbox link, I am unable to access the folder.  The message displayed says that the accounts public links are generating to much traffic and have been temporarily shut down.  Are you aware of this?  Second, do you have another account where this file can be accessed?

Thanks!

ML RAW Video Tone Curve Photoshop/ACR Workflow FIX

Basically when you use the Photoshop/ACR workflow to process the RAW DNG folder you have to set working space for ACR to sRGB 16bits which is all fine BUT most people calibrate monitors and TVs to something like gamma 2.2 but you were editing in sRGB and as soon as you take the footage out of something not completely color-managed which includes almost all video playback software you end up with the sRGB video file's sRGB tone response curve not getting converted for use on a gamma 2.2 display and you get the contrast and saturation a trace boosted and the shadows and lower mid-tones become too dark.

First, of course ACR should be set to sRGB working space and 16bits when using it to do ML RAW video (for stills ProPhotoRGB 16bit makes most sense).

The fix is to add a step right before you save out as TIFF in your batch action. Use "Edit->Convert To Profile->Custom RGB" and then rename it to "REC709 Primaries With Gamma 2.2" (or whatever) and hit OK (it should already have selected REC709 primaries and gamma 2.2 for you automatically, if not, make sure it has gamma 2.2 set and REC 709/sRGB primaries set). This will store each TIFF in Gamma 2.2 with sRGB/REC709 primaries instead of in sRGB TRC with sRGB/REC709 primaries so your videos should look the same when played back on your sRGB/REC709 primaries and gamma 2.2 calibrated display as they did when you edited the initial frame in ACR/Photoshop.

But that is not all. That simply makes the TIFFs get stored as gamma 2.2 but AE will still convert them back into sRGB TRC instead of leaving them at gamma 2.2 unless you make sure to set "Preserve RGB" as one of the options for the output codec in the render queue and I believe that you also need to change AE preferences to chose "None" for working space to turn off its color management engine.
That does the trick (it's actually simple all you do is turn off the AE color management once and save those prefs and then just add the convert to profile with gamma 2.2 thing to your RAW batch action in Photoshop once and you are good to go with nothing more needed to be done each time.

Then when you import into Premiere Pro it looks the same way as it did in Photoshop/ACR (assuming your monitor is internally calibrated to sRGB/REC709 gamut and gamma 2.2 D65m if not there may be slight variations due to primaries in different locations and such although if you at least calibrated it through software the gamma/WB ramp should still work in your video card and that should still match up more or less).

It really makes a considerably noticeable difference. Your video won't end up overly saturated/contrasty/dark in dark to midtones compared

to what you thought you had prepared in Photoshop/ACR. If you were fine-tuning in Premiere Pro anyway I suppose it doesn't matter but it saves you from having to re-tune to make up for sRGB vs gamma 2.2 differences which is hard to exactly do by hand and it means less need to push bits around once you are possibly no longer in full bit format.

Hi Andrew,

I see rec raw but nothing happen I hit the start button but no recording

5d mark iii with 32 gig lexar 1000x

Thanks

Maybe you are running an older version of ML RAW, one where you need to start and stop RAW recoding within the ML menu system? The newer buiilds should start it up with the normal video record button. (and just in case, after telling ML to load the raw_rec module, make sure you did go to the ML video menu and select RAW Video recording enabled since it is disabled by default).

For an AE only workflow it should be possible to do it (referring to my messgae two above) if you can find and .icc profile that has sRGB/REC709 primaries mixed with gamma 2.2 instead of sRGB TRC. I didn't find one with a quick web search, but I'm sure one has to be out there. I think I will just make my own such. Then you could just use that in AE and it should be good (at worst if you used that for the output conversion profile that should force it to work out).

Hi Andrew,

I see rec raw but nothing happen I hit the start button but no recording

5d mark iii with 32 gig lexar 1000x

Thanks

You have to load the module.  Go to the modules tab on the far right and click on Load Modules.  It will say "Loading modules" and then you'll see REC RAW loaded.  You go back to the video tab and then enable RAW Recording on the bottom.  I suggest you read Andrew's guide again.  He goes through it step by step.

Ok so this is the future. So the question is what do I need to be able to work with this, is my current Mac pc capable of dealing with this footage (even with the software improvements/ twigs) ? Considering I don't make money out of the film making side of my business, what are the bair bones , upgrades, computer specifications/ software I am going to need to make this work in the next few years to come.

Computers are my week point, I love anything anolog, but unfortunately. Even more unfortunate is that all my peers who have the experience to help aren't really interested in raw it is the artists like myself who spend more than we make who are most passionate about these things, so how do we make this work, not just as a gimick but for full lenght movies? Most importantly how do we do this without the professional budgets.