Easier 5D Mark III raw guide in 4 steps

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

5d-mark-iii-raw-guide.jpg

UPDATE: Full book now available - The EOSHD 5D Mark III Raw Shooter's Guide

Here's a quick and easy way to get raw recording setup on your 5D Mark III thanks to the recent Magic Lantern developments.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/10352/easier-5d-mark-iii-raw-guide-in-4-steps]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Great work! Unfortunately, I don't own a 5D Mark III at this moment, but a 5D Mark II. Some people say that are using the actual ML RAW hack with their Canon 5DII. Is it possible?  Or the best is wait to new ML developments? Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m5cIEV_SNI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0AjYoq0_5k

• Administrators

Awesome tutorial. I'm up and running and making raw video on my 5dmkiii! Thank you for putting together this one-stop method for getting up fast. 

The only missing link for  me, a Mac user, is converting the files into DNG. Is there a Mac option for this? 

Yes Mac option is in the guide, it is Raw2DNG. Same app as windows, but runs on mac. Just make sure to run the correct file. The windows app has .exe at the end, the Mac one doesn't.

• Administrators

Hi Andrew,

Before doing all this, did you first install Canon's firmware update?

Yes I did, for uncompressed HDMI.

It came straight back off again.

If you have 1.2.1, simply download the 1.1.3 firmware...

Both Mac and Windows firmware downloads are included in the ZIP.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18917388/5d3-v1-1-3-canon.zip

Apply the 1.1.3 firmware on the camera as normal, as per Canon instructions. It rolls back from 1.2.1 to 1.1.3 just fine.

Thanks for making this tutorial, reading through the forums trying to figure out how install it was just too much for me haha.

Alright so after making the CF bootable using MacBoot, I put it into the 5D3, run the firmware update and then is says "EnableBootDisk :)". Is that supposed to happen? and if so what do i do next? Cause if I try to hit the trashcan button it doesnt do anything.

photo_zps1a08d8db.jpg

Thanks!

Thanks Andrew, I see the Raw2dng for mac now. However, when I drag the raw files on it, I get this error. 

usage: dirname path
Error: /Volumes/MyDrive/dngls: *.dng: No such file or directory
Nothing converted

I tried creating a directory named dngls as it appears to be looking for that, but that didn't work either. Do the raw files and Raw2dng have to be located in a particular place to work? 

• Administrators

Ahhhh my bad, makes sense haha

But everything works perfect now, the quality is ridiculous!

Seriously... Thanks!

Just to clarify something... You rebooted after the bootflag message, and Magic Lantern was at that point installed and booted, with menus available?

Just to clarify something... You rebooted after the bootflag message, and Magic Lantern was at that point installed and booted, with menus available?

When i first commented, i just shut the camera off after getting the "EnableBootDisk :)" and then once i saw your reply i simply turned it back on and everything was up and running

Cinema 5D is finding it faster to use ACR in Photoshop to TIFF and then assemble in QT7Pro like we'd do a time-lapse.

http://***URL not allowed***/?p=18065

Before I order cards I'm currently waiting for:

1) stable build

2) record time only limited by memory (>4GB)

3) no dropped frames with 1000x cards @1080p24

I'd like:

4) Simultaneous H.264 proxy recorded to SD card, for take review, sound, etc.

5) Simultaneous HDMI out, ideally 8 bit 422 uncompressed as an option, or mirroring of onboard LCD

6) I assume the other ML goodies still work like peaking

7) High quality internal codec option instead of RAW