Now available - EOSHD Pro Color V4 HDR for Sony A7 III and A7R III

Andrew Reid

10 hours ago, seattledv said:

Looks great Andrew. Would this new color profile be applicable to the A9 as well or would you have another recommendation for changing A9 color rendition?

A9 doesn't have Picture Profiles, so unfortunately it won't work on that.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Yes with the A9 you are stuck tweaking the very basic Creative Styles. You can't get to the wider colour gamuts or different gamma curves, nor the finer tuning options.

Sony aimed the A9 at pro photographers, a bit like the 1D X Mk II, which is same reason that doesn't have Canon LOG. Daft, I know.

There is a Sony hack going around for the A7S II though, which may be interesting to keep an eye on for the future if it unlocks picture profiles on cameras that lack them... Like BTM_Pix has done with the GX85.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes with the A9 you are stuck tweaking the very basic Creative Styles. You can't get to the wider colour gamuts or different gamma curves, nor the finer tuning options.

Sony aimed the A9 at pro photographers, a bit like the 1D X Mk II, which is same reason that doesn't have Canon LOG. Daft, I know.

There is a Sony hack going around for the A7S II though, which may be interesting to keep an eye on for the future if it unlocks picture profiles on cameras that lack them... Like BTM_Pix has done with the GX85.

I suppose there’s some kind of logic to the niche marketing of so many cameras, but I have to wonder if at some point if this trend will end. Perhaps the A7 iii is finally a big step in that direction as an excellent hybrid shooter and an all-rounder if you had to pick just one camera from Sony— at least until the A7S iii arrives...

• Administrators

Indeed the A7 III is practically an A9 in hardware terms, with the added video features.

I feel sorry for A9 owners with an interest in video. Sony should give them the extra picture profiles at least. Odd the 120fps quality is a bit down on that camera vs A7R III as well considering the speed of the sensor.

• Super Members

The PlayMemories hack only works on cameras with an Android subsystem so that unfortunately means the A9, A7Riii and A7iii aren't going to be able to benefit from it.

One interesting thing I read about was regarding the A6000 which, unlike the A5000, could not do live view and video recording from Sony's own IOS/Android app but hacking the camera's name (to a non-existing A6001 no less!) allowed the app to work. So Sony's app was actively blocking the function on the A6000 but was happy to action it if it thought it was speaking to another camera type.

https://github.com/ma1co/OpenMemories-Tweak/issues/134

Seems familiar, huh?

So....if there was a backdoor into getting the A9 to allow profiles then my hunch would be that that would be the way in to make it think it was another camera.

Its a big if though as the A9 firmware is encrypted differently and how much motivation there would be to put the effort in for what is quite a niche product is doubtful.

For the older cameras though, the PlayMemories hack is brilliant for removing the recording time limit restriction and for unlocking the worldwide language selector. The last part is crucial if you are bargain hunting for used Sony cameras in Japan where the local (much cheaper) variants have the language locked but 10 mins at the hotel with a laptop can make that sub £900 mint condition A7Rii even more of a bargain ;)

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

£500 profit on each Japanese A7R II.

Maybe Japanese Camera Hunter can branch out into digital?!

I tell you what, the smart deal is to get used Leica Qs and take them over there and swap them for A7R II's

One Leica Q will get you just on 4 A7RII's 

Based on what I can get a used Q for in London, it makes the A7RII's about £700 each when you do it that way!!

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I feel sorry for A9 owners 

Thanks. I really like the camera but get very pissed off everytime I shoot video with it. Just knowing what it could have been. 

I doubut Sony will ever add the PP. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, nathanleebush said:

Does it work with flat profiles like S-Log 3? I want the dynamic range and control in post, but I'd love for it to grade into that nice color quicker.

No that's not really the point of a straight out of camera colour profile.

However I will be bringing out Pro LOG V4, which will give you that nicer colour from LOG footage quicker than S-LOG 3 (and without the horrendous banding).

Hey Andrew! I purchased the older PP for my A7sII and loved the color for well lit environments. I would like to get this one also for our new A7III What would the maximum ISO you would recommend for run&gun filmmakers in lower light environment. Or is there another profile you suggest during those situations? Thanks

On 6/5/2018 at 12:43 AM, Andrew Reid said:

No that's not really the point of a straight out of camera colour profile.

However I will be bringing out Pro LOG V4, which will give you that nicer colour from LOG footage quicker than S-LOG 3 (and without the horrendous banding).

Can't wait for the Pro LOG V4 !

Hi Andrew,

I am using all of your Profiles for a long time now...

I have a Sony A73, a Sony A7R3, a Sony A7R2 and two Sonys A6500 plus all of your Picture Profiles. I want to use all cams in a big project. Which settings would you recommend to match the cameras best for an easy workflow in post!?

Thanks, 

Alex

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:01 AM, Maz said:

Just bought it for my a7r III, how do I install it? Read through the PDF, but nothing about installation.

There is no installation, it's just specific settings in camera to achieve the look. 

Made a quick Comparison between S-LOG 3, GFILM, and EOSHD HDR. Love the results right out of camera with this. SLOG 3 just straight up breaks, GFILM still breaks but less so, and EOSHD seems to show the least compression. I've been leaning more on getting the image right in camera and not in post, and am heavily leaning towards this profile unless I'm using an external recorder.