Now available - EOSHD Pro Color V4 HDR for Sony A7 III and A7R III

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Available to buy now - click here for details

Cameras and displays have come a long way since the old standard definition Rec.709 standard came to be.

From today, Sony's colour science now gets EOSHD's cinematic overhaul on the A7 III and A7R III.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

It’s not exclusively for an HDR TV.

If you want to playback A7 III files directly on your TV, just shoot plain vanilla Hybrid LOG Gamma, which compressed the required dynamic range into 8bit and adds meta tags to an XML file so the TV knows how to handle it.

This automatic conversion of HLG doesn’t happen with all footage, only the original files with the meta data. So you are better off shooting Pro Color for the wider dynamic range and wider colour gamut, edit your video, and enjoy the benefits on every display not just your TV with the camera plugged into it. It looks just as nice once it is on YouTube or Vimeo or a ProRes master copy that will give close to maximum dynamic range on a HDR TV display, with the added compatibility for everything else 709.

• Administrators

The email with the download links is sent when you do the PayPal payment, but sometimes it goes missing on the way in cyberspace or into a spam folder, so email me your PayPal receipt and I will sort you out with the links.

2 hours ago, RWR said:

Will this filter into your other Sony profiles?

Nope, Pro Color 3.0 was the best out of the previous cameras that could possibly be, and the changes in V4 are tailored specifically to the new models.

3 hours ago, Danny Fuze said:

For 1080p @ 60fps or 120 fps, is it still recommended to use -7 Detail?

Yes absolutely. You can still add extra digital sharpening back in post anyway.

I just watched the video again, and I must say, the color tonality you’ve pulled out of your dog’s fur is night and day compared to the standard Sony color... and I quite liked the Sony version as well. But your version looks like you pulled a couple extra bits of color information out of it... Really cool!

9 hours ago, Germy1979 said:

This looks really..

really.

good.

I agree. These examples show the best looking Sony images using Pro Color by far. I'm guessing it's due to the 14-bit processing, plus HDR/Rec2020 capability plus Andrew's increased experience. This makes me wonder what the GH5s is capable of in terms of straight out of camera color over the GH5.

• Administrators

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I am biased but I honestly think EOSHD Pro Color has never looked so good as it has on the new cameras, so Sony must take some credit after years of getting it wrong on colour. They are on the right track. A step forward between A7S II and A7R III / A7 III especially with the 14bit sensor output and the new HDR compatibility.

wow Andrew, im really impressed~! i echo the sentiments of others.

additionally, i thought the reds looked GREAT! i was like... RED!!!! OMG!!!!

On 5/30/2018 at 3:35 PM, Andrew Reid said:

On the Sony settings that umbrella would probably be orange any way :)

NO KIDDING LOOOOL

9 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

so Sony must take some credit after years of getting it wrong on colour

uhh yeah... i was thinking that too, how things MUST have gotten better, havent been following Sony closely lately

however, your before/after goes from puke to awesome, still looks shitty beforehand lol. so cheers to you for that!!