Panasonic GH5: Lexar/Sandisk formatting issue

Danielius

Hello,

I have been using Lexar UHS-II 2000x, UHS-II 1000x and Sandisk UHS-I 95MB/s cards with my GH5. I have used them for over a year without any issues. Cards were formated everytime when using the camera. My workstation is running windows. 

However, after most recent job all of my cards are corrupted. When I insert them into the camera I get a message 'memory card error format this card?'. After endless clicking 'ok', the message still appears and the cards are unusable. I was unable to format them neither on FS7 nor XF305.

Have you ever had a similar issue? 

Additional info: DIT person was running a Mac based laptops and there were errors when importing the footage which resulted in lost data. The computer sill recognised the SD cards.

gh5 sd card.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

ProGrade Digital started shipping their V90 cards this month. https://shop.progradedigital.com/products/prograde-digital-sdxc™-uhs-ii-v90-memory-card

The company is run primarily by the old Lexar execs. From their social media, seems that the WRC (World Rally Championship) uses their cards for broadcast purposes. Hopefully that means they're reliable. They seem good value... on paper.

- btw, as a tip, try the SD Association's formatting tool: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ , that might get them cards back in shape.

Thank you all for input!

Have tried using SD Association's formatting sofrware (as well as SanDisk recovery, Lexar's Image rescue and Panasonic's SD card recovery, Easeus), all of which yielded no results. Messages such as 'formating failed' or 'error occured while formating' appeared. Tried both exFAT as well as FAT32.

I have used CF cards from both brands ever since I've got XF305 and later on 5D without any issues. This situation makes me re-think media (thus camera) choices for professional work. 

I just returned some prograde cards (128gb 200mbs). I tested using Crystal disk or wherever. The write speed was much slower than the old lexar and even older much cheaper SanDisk 95mbs cards.

The reviews on by also complained about them not working well with Panasonic cameras which is a common problem with lexar cards.

How have you not noticed that sometimes when you press record, the camera takes like 10 second to start recording?  You can Google the issue, lots of problems with lexar and Panasonic. I tried it again after the Panasonic firmware fix and still got the delays so I never use lexar and Panasonic.