Canon EOS M50 - an accidental 4K Digital Bolex

Andrew Reid

3 hours ago, docmoore said:

It is 4K ... saved as ProResLT and uploaded UHD ... but I was only able to see the 4K once on Vimeo ... all other times it

shows as 1080 at best but should be 4K on their site.

I watched it on my phone so I only had 1080p option but it still looked good.

Don't you have a 5D4? If so, how does the M50 compare in your opinion?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

It shows as 4K on my computer on Vimeo. Frame grab is pretty awesome!

Actually that was a RAW still ... but the dynamic range is good in video. 

At Dave's suggestion I am trying Vision Color profiles ... might look at the EOSHD profile ... not so much color but just trying to

extract the biggest range out of the camera that I can.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Don't you have a 5D4? If so, how does the M50 compare in your opinion?

Really a different beast ... light easy to use but will take a bit of time to get used to the flip out screen ... find

it a little disorienting with respect to vertical alignment where walls noticeable if it is not flush with the camera back.

I think that the 4K image is sharp enough when on tripod ... the 1080 with DPAF makes me miss that on this camera in

4K ... and the AF with the Sigma is a bit marginal in 4K ... perfect in 1080. Peaking is great and with the mic input I can add 

another Nanolockit and sync both the 5D4 and the M50 to my SD recorder. So this camera will cover my travel light needs,

gives me video with Leica M lenses and EF lenses, and will allow for another angle of capture along side of the 5D4. 

Colors seem very close ... but I would like a profile that mimics the Canon Log as closely as possible so that workflow looks

consistent. I may play with my Video Color Checker Passport(?) to see if I can minimize differences in the two.

It is interesting to look at file sizes as it uses a different codec from the 5D4 ... much smaller and not as chopped up ... 5D4 has a 

4Gb limit to file which on that camera is 2 minutes in 4K.

I was pleased to find that Tethertools has a battery insert for the camera so my large battery banks and AC for the 5D4 will work on 

this also.

Looking at the RAW files ... it has enough resolution and DR for almost any of my needs at this point. Still use the 5D4 for macro as

HeliconFocus will allow automated focus stacks which are wonderful ... set near and far focus points and it drives the camera through

auto stacking ... then in post will align and paint the layers for the stacks.

I think the big drawback of the EOS M is native lenses ... most think the 22 F2 is the only adequate one at the present time. Without the Canon

EOS - EF M adapter I probably would not have picked up the camera.

I will be trying the 24-105 and 16-35 today to assess the IS functions. And I hope that the AF in 4K is a bit better. Not so much with the 40 Pancake.

On 6/16/2018 at 5:35 PM, docmoore said:

Hey Dave,

This one is for you.

Thanks for the heads up on the M50 ... looks to be a decent B Cam. Found that the Wooden Camera Cage does allow for the external power input and HDMI

is accessible ... might be a workaround ... as putting it on the M50 and removing it for the battery would be a major pain.

https://vimeo.com/275429037

Password: Daysend

Picture profile neutral.

And a still for all those worried about highlights....

1062662687_WhiteBlossom01.thumb.jpg.bab1ee2fc893c3565a6d29b822c86a7d.jpg

Again thanks for the information ... 

Bob

Which wooden camera cage are you talking about? Can you give us a link? I have an m50 and just preordered the small rig cage recently but it doesn't arrive until july and I need one now. 

This is the Wooden Camera Small DSLR Accessory Kit ... however if you do not need the quick release tripod plate with 15mm rod support you can get the a7/A9 cage

which appears to be on sale at B&H at the moment.

1164284635_WCRIG2.thumb.jpg.c166a655b0a6c2f19e62a60b1d1f2d28.jpg1357993345_WCRIG1.thumb.jpg.27c840183ef9d3471c2325720b4fe599.jpg

This is a list of all the WC cages and systems ...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=3926&fct=fct_brand_name|wooden-camera&N=3907816577

Again,

The battery door is obstructed so battery and camera are captive. I assume knowing WC the can modify the base for the Canon M50. The side rod which connects the top and base 

comes in three sizes so you can use the cage for mirrorless, Canon 5D and 1DX bodies ... I have all three of the rods as they are one of the cheapest parts of the system. Very rigid and

will support a ton of stuff. External monitor recorder, follow focus and matte box ... etc.

Today was less than ideal ... yesterday I found a Bluejay nestling in the yard ... had fallen 12 meters from a nest in a Chinese Pistachio tree. Barely alive ... nursed him all night and drove 40 miles this morning to deliver him to a wildlife rescue mission ... he will be there for weeks in rehabilitation learning what his parents would have imparted to him in days. Came home to find his nest lying at the bottom of the tree.

There is a perceptable sadness in the garden this afternoon ... we have spent 20 years cultivating a place of rest and one that is somewhat protected from the vagaries of the wild ... although we routinely have predators that enter from the periphery.

Thought I would film a bit of the garden ... seems a bit melancholy ... reflection on our loss ... and yes in view of all the evil in this world it is minor in comparison.

All done with the Canon M50 ... Andrew's EOSHD C Log PP.

https://vimeo.com/275941224

Password: Daysend

Sorry it is a bit long.

Regards,

Bob

What Canon seems to get right is not only the colors but - just as importantly - a video image that is not overprocessed (like, IMHO, that of Sony and Panasonic mirrorless cameras). It doesn't seem to be artificially sharpened, and there's no aggressive noise-filtering either. 

Can't wait for the 4K video feature to trickle down to all Canon consumer mirrorless cameras, particularly the successor of the current EOS-M100 [which is just a fantastic always-with-you street photography camera].

13 minutes ago, cantsin said:

What Canon seems to get right is not only the colors but - just as importantly - a video image that is not overprocessed (like, IMHO, that of Sony and Panasonic mirrorless cameras). It doesn't seem to be artificially sharpened, and there's no aggressive noise-filtering either. 

Can't wait for the 4K video feature to trickle down to all Canon consumer mirrorless cameras, particularly the successor of the current EOS-M100 [which is just a fantastic always-with-you street photography camera].

Exactly. the implementation here is incredible. When shot properly, the M50 4k is REALLY nice. 

This entire video was shot on the M50 in 4k (with the exception of the ending which was 1DC)

On 6/17/2018 at 5:35 AM, docmoore said:

1062662687_WhiteBlossom01.thumb.jpg.bab1ee2fc893c3565a6d29b822c86a7d.jpg

Just wanted to say that's a great looking still..  nicely done! :)

On 6/21/2018 at 4:41 AM, ntblowz said:

Hopefully the up coming EOS M5 II with 28mp doesnt crop in 4K and with PDAF

It would be great it has the option to crop in or not to.  I think that's one of the biggest advantages of having a hybrid camera for video.  I'm looking at new cameras and if I end up with the A7III then when combining the 24-105 F4 with the 1.5X crop mode and the 1.5X digital zoom makes that lens a 24-236mm, which is a fantastic walk-around lens.

Adequate ... eye relief is not amazing but easy to nail focus ... and you can use the peaking and magnification

for critical focus.

I have not turned down the contrast for the EVF but if that is possible might make for better exposure adjustment.

The camera does have a histogram on the LCD prior to video capture that helps determine exposure and the exposure

meter itself seems quite useable.

On 6/20/2018 at 3:13 PM, DaveAltizer said:

Exactly. the implementation here is incredible. When shot properly, the M50 4k is REALLY nice. 

This entire video was shot on the M50 in 4k (with the exception of the ending which was 1DC)

Nice! Can you send me a link to that m50 cage? I like that set up and need it for my next shoot. 

On 6/20/2018 at 3:13 PM, DaveAltizer said:

Thanks for sharing this! I almost bought some old c mount lenses but was hesitant since they’re not made for aps-c size sensors. 

Also, there are m42 to EF-M speedboosters available. I almost bought that but still on the fence about it.