A7 III autofocus in crop mode

Papiskokuji

Hi guys !

Anyone here having the sony A7 III kind enough to test something for me ? I'm tempted to buy an A7 III but the Sony full frame lenses are quite expansive... So I was wondering how a 18-105 F4 would fare autofocus wise on a A7 iii body. Do you think it does a better job at autofocusing than the A6500 ? I read/heard somewhere that in aps-c mode, the A7 III had 299 phase detect points which is less than the A6500. I would use the A7III as such : I'd use the zoom when I need versatility and good autofocus in aps-c mode, but I'll go full frame with manual lenses when no need for autofocus but more shallow depth of field. But once again, sony's full frame zooms are to heavy and too expansive for me.

Has someone actually tested both A6500 and A7 III crop mode autofocus ? Or just the 18-105 on the A7 III body ?

Thank you !

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I have the 18-105 F4 G and it works very well on the A7 III in crop mode, as long as AF-C is selected.

The camera doesn't quite perform as well in AF-S mode so I keep it in AF-C where it uses phase-detect AF full time.

In video mode not noticed any weird behaviour, you just let it go... Don't be tempted to do a half-press for AF-S in video mode, that will hunt. Does it with all lenses not just APS-C.

For anyone looking for a more lightweight full frame zoom with big range by the way... Nikon 24-120mm F4 is the way to go. Superb lens, not as heavy as the Sigma 24-105, yet longer too. AF should work on the Commlite adapter using phase-detect. Going to be trying one out tomorrow.

Don't forget sony's new 18-135mm, variable aperture but great range. I really do not like the 18-105, so much distortion corrected by software and the zoom rocker is way to slow. Would rather have the dedicated zoom ring of the 18-135. I would love to see how this performs on an A7 III.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I have the 18-105 F4 G and it works very well on the A7 III in crop mode, as long as AF-C is selected.

The camera doesn't quite perform as well in AF-S mode so I keep it in AF-C where it uses phase-detect AF full time.

In video mode not noticed any weird behaviour, you just let it go... Don't be tempted to do a half-press for AF-S in video mode, that will hunt. Does it with all lenses not just APS-C.

For anyone looking for a more lightweight full frame zoom with big range by the way... Nikon 24-120mm F4 is the way to go. Superb lens, not as heavy as the Sigma 24-105, yet longer too. AF should work on the Commlite adapter using phase-detect. Going to be trying one out tomorrow.

Interested in how that performs! Take some photos as well :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2018 at 12:59 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Thank you for taking the time to test it !

Great to hear it works good !

• 1 month later...
On 5/21/2018 at 4:20 AM, Papiskokuji said:

Hi guys !

Anyone here having the sony A7 III kind enough to test something for me ? I'm tempted to buy an A7 III but the Sony full frame lenses are quite expansive... So I was wondering how a 18-105 F4 would fare autofocus wise on a A7 iii body. Do you think it does a better job at autofocusing than the A6500 ? I read/heard somewhere that in aps-c mode, the A7 III had 299 phase detect points which is less than the A6500. I would use the A7III as such : I'd use the zoom when I need versatility and good autofocus in aps-c mode, but I'll go full frame with manual lenses when no need for autofocus but more shallow depth of field. But once again, sony's full frame zooms are to heavy and too expansive for me.

Has someone actually tested both A6500 and A7 III crop mode autofocus ? Or just the 18-105 on the A7 III body ?

Thank you !

AF is excellent in crop mode. I haven't tried that specific lens though don't see any issue. 

Have you considered the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 which is a full frame lens and a stop faster (plus absolutely fantastic)? I believe in the US they are $799 vs $599 for the 18-105? Can always use that in crop mode if need be and get a bit more reach. 

A7 III doesn't lose much in S35 crop at all. Does also gain better rolling shutter control which is a plus. 

Ive been using the Tamron on mine and just love that combo. I also have the 28-135mm f/4 G PZ which I think is a fantastic lens as well that the A7 III breathes new life into (R2/3 were always better in crop and A7S never had the AF the make it worth it, FS are all crop and the 18-110mm makes more sense in those so the 28-135 has been a bit neglected. Suits A73 perfectly IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2018 at 12:59 PM, Andrew Reid said:

@Andrew Reid - any update on this?