Fuji does it again

no_connection

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It’s not necessary, but if you’re working on a project where you need to replicate old film, that feature could come in handy.

And I guess if you put it on a 15p timeline (if there is such a thing) you could lower your shutter speed to 1/30th for lowlight. Not very useful but it could be used for small experimental pieces with little movement or for music videos, I guess. 

But yes, overall it’s not very useful.

I remember GoPro saying that the 12/15p modes would be good as in-camera time-lapse modes, which didn't make that much sense to me to be honest.  

However, giving customers the option of something is often nice, instead of limiting what can be done because many/most can't see a use for it, so there's two sides to the argument.

This isn't even Super 8 18 frames. It shouldn't be advertised as a 4K camera. Does it crop also? 

I understand this is an entry level camera, but there is another one (X-A5/4K-15frames also! and there is the cheaper A3) recently released, and it costs 650euros here (kit), so this is going to cost more, which is problematic if you read the market. Also, these 2018 releases, will be replaced in 2019? 

Fuji will have huge difficulties competing with the rest. X-T3 is going to be a very important release, if they fail to deliver, their sales number won't be stellar, to put it mildly.

On 21.5.2018 at 11:48 PM, no_connection said:

The problem here is 15p is the ONLY option. So customers seeing 4k in there buys it and then have fun when they discover they can't even film in 24p.

While I admit that 15p is a strange addition, I guess that it's up to potential buyers to really inform themselves before they click that "BUY" button. TO buy just because "4k" is typed on the box, may be a frequent behaviour, but that doesn't make it better. A simple online review should be enough to find out that 4k isn't really useable that way.

Except if Fuji decides to magically unlock 24p in a later "Kaizen firmware update" (which is the name of the game they play).

• Administrators

I think since the X-T20 is already such a bargain, it would be churlish to complain about the T-100 not doing proper 4K. It's not like Fuji is pulling a Canon and leaving us no alternative but to spend $3000 if you want Super 35mm 4K on their stills cameras. They have offered plenty of very good value for money 4K cameras - indeed one of them became 4K for free, with a firmware update. Pretty generous if you ask me.

The 4K 15p on this should have stored each frame as a JPEG instead, and they should have called it a continuous shooting mode. Marketing it as "video" is the mistake.

The XA5 has the same specs, and since this is essentially a XA5 with a viewfinder, its not surprising. Its their entry level body, Fuji went low spec with the processor on the XA5. The XA bodies haven't seen any significant FW updates compared to the XPro and XT lines, I doubt this gets anything beyond bug fixes.

I agree it should have be marketed as something like Panny's 4k photo mode, not video.

The side hinge is interesting, a first for the X-mount line. Hopefully it gets adopted across the line.

Chris

4K Burst with 1 second pre recording, 4K Multi Focus, 4K Timelapse. 

I think the 4K of this camera isn‘t as much about video as it is for stills.

What I do find interesting is, that the camera can do 30 minutes of video recording. Seems like the X-Trans sensor and X processor really generate a lot of heat

13 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

The XA bodies haven't seen any significant FW updates compared to the XPro and XT lines, I doubt this gets anything beyond bug fixes

The X-T100 is claimed to have much better focussing than than the X-A5. And those algorithms as well as 30 minute video recording are coming to the X-A5 in a firmwareupdate soon :D

6 hours ago, frontfocus said:

4K Burst with 1 second pre recording, 4K Multi Focus, 4K Timelapse. 

I think the 4K of this camera isn‘t as much about video as it is for stills.

What I do find interesting is, that the camera can do 30 minutes of video recording. Seems like the X-Trans sensor and X processor really generate a lot of heat

The X-T100 is claimed to have much better focussing than than the X-A5. And those algorithms as well as 30 minute video recording are coming to the X-A5 in a firmwareupdate soon :D

Xtrans - IMO - is keeping Fuji a little behind the curve. It was great with 16mp images, but with the 24mp sensor its seems to be holding performance back, as Fuji themselves have stated Xtrans eats up a lot more processing power compared to a Bayer array. They said no zebras because the processor is maxed out downsampling 4k. And despite all that, its still a really fast camera. I've commented numerous times on Fujirumors that I'd like to see a Bayer version of the XT2 with the XProcessor Pro and I get roasted. Fuji has painted themselves into a corner as well, if a Bayer XT2 theoretically outperformed the Xtrans cams, it would make all their claims about Xtrans superiority nothing more than a big steaming pile of poo.

It seems they're sticking with Xtrans for the upcoming XT3 and Fuji has cultivated a fanboy user base of old-fart photo types that whine about any advancement - like IBIS, flappy LCD's and touchscreens. Though bumping the bitrate in the XH1 was a nice surprise, hopefully its foreshadowing a future GH5-esque, video centric body.

Cool beans about the XA5 getting a AF update. I've thought about getting the XA5/XT100 as a cheap backup stills body, and to do a Fuji Bayer vs. Fuji Xtrans comparison.

Cheers

Chris

9 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Xtrans - IMO - is keeping Fuji a little behind the curve.

For videos this is very likely. For photos it's another discussion. I think X-Trans does offer some benefits, but also has drawbacks. Depending on what you shoot you might prefer it or Bayer

To be honest, I would have thought they would put Bayer into the X-H1 due to it being more videocentric

The advantages of X-Trans are

1. Less aliasing without an AA filter

2. Better light collection efficiency. 

The disadvantages on the other hand are

1. Less color information

2. X-trans artifacts on certain patterns

3. Processing inefficient 

Having used a lot of Fuji cameras over the years, I would prefer if Fuji moved to Bayer. The AA is not that important with the >24MP resolution and the low light advantage of the X-Trans is maybe 1/2 a stop. For photography, I find the gain of color information far more important. For example I found the output from X100 to have much better colors and I know a lot of people the feel the same. I agree with Chris that the only reason that Fuji keeps on using the X-trans is for marketing purposes. There are a lot of people out there that believe that X-Trans is what makes Fuji colors nice, but in reality it is what holds the Fuji colors back. Not to mention how much it would improve their video performance in general. 

My take on it, if you don't have enough horsepower and can't put at least 24p at 4k then don't include it. If they loose sales because the 15p 4k isn't there then they really are tricking customers.

My guess it they can't read out the sensor fast enough to clear an entire frame before next one is needed.

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

And it features a 2.5mm mic-input. So, if the C-AF and image quality @ 1080p is any good... this could very well be the 2018's vlogger's go-to camera.

I think for 1080p vlogging the Canon M50 will be a much better choice. I consider the X-T100 a cheap Fuji camera for photography. I bet the X-T100 has the same 1080p quality as the X-A5 which is not great. Low detail full of aliasing artifacts: