Vary-i loupe for GH5

Thpriest

4 minutes ago, Kieran said:

Jon, you're talking crap (and not for the first time). The C200 is larger and heavier than a C100. 

You are talking crap now. But it sounds like Thpriest is already sold on the idea of a C100, so I’m out of here.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, Thpriest said:

Jon, I didn't realise down voting was that important. I did it because you are not offering any kind of help or solution.

Don’t worry, sry I ever suggested a 5” external monitor. Enjoy your life!

1 minute ago, Thpriest said:

The C100 hasn't got the sharpest LCD and the angles are limited. I'm considering selling the C100 mk1 and getting the C100mk2 because of the flexible LCD and useable EVF.

Yes those things are an improvement for sure but maybe the lack of 4K might be an issue in the future  

Having said that none of the films nominated for best cinematography at this years Academy Awards were shot in 4K which puts things in perspective. 

14 minutes ago, jonpais said:

You are talking crap now. 

No I'm not. It is you who talking out of your arse without checking the facts. 

According to Canons website the C100 mark 2 weighs 1020g and the C200 weighs 1430g. It's considerably bulkier too. Basically a C100 on steroids. 

Jon, I don't want to argue with you or anyone but I think you need to be aware that sometimes the tone of your posts come across as rude and condescending. I realise that's probably not your intention but maybe worth reflecting on.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Don’t worry, sry I ever suggested a 5” external monitor. Enjoy your life!

I'd ignore Jon. For as long as I've lurked here he has been rude and argumentative. He's also very defensive of the GH5, so it's to be expected. 

With that said I don't really know that putting a 5 inch monitor on the GH5 will add that much weight. I use a 7 inch Lilliput monitor (forgive me I'm poor!) on mine and it's honestly pretty light when attached to my GH5 and G85. I can see why you might not want to go this route but I think it's worth looking into it a little more. 

Re: lenses, have you looked into Rokinon lenses? I use those, as well as adapted Minolta lenses that I use with a focal reducer, which I'm very happy with. The only Canon EF lens that I have is the Sigma 18-35, which is a beast of a lens, so I don't have a ton of experience but those options are much lighter in weight and some are pretty fast. 

For me it'd be difficult to no longer be able to shoot 4k, so I'd be very hesitant to get a C100 mk II even though, in reality, it's probably not as big of a deal as we tell ourselves. It might be worth going the monitor route for now and waiting until you can afford something that shoots 4K?

• 2 months later...

Friends, I need to find a solution for my GH5. I am going to Africa where there are sunny days. Many times I shoot with the camera at the hips and I can't see inside the EVF. I was thinking to buy Vary-i loupe for GH5, but before I need to know your experiences with it. It is a little expensive and I don't like to throw away money. I know GH5 LCD screen has worse resolution than the EVF and it is only 800 x 600 pixels. Could you give me some real suggestions please?

• 5 months later...

I didn't see this thread the first time around, but I sympathise with @Thpriest about focussing on the GH5.  I'm new to the GH5 world, but I was disappointed with the focus peaking modes as the Low mode wrongly highlights blurred contrasty things like edges in the BG, and the High mode doesn't highlight anything in lower contrast parts of the image (like someones face, which is exactly what you want it to be useful for!).

I've also worked out that the focus peaking doesn't operate on the full-resolution image - only on the resolution of the preview (screen or viewfinder) so if there's fine detail there that is lost in the downscaling then it doesn't get detected.

The system I've taken to using is a combination of a few things.  I like the viewfinder over the screen, partly because it's more visible in bright conditions, and partly because your face helps to stabilise when you're shooting hand-held like I do.  In terms of focussing, I set my aperture to be quite large so the DoF is shallower, and I have the digital zoom set to a button so I enable that to 4X and then set my focus like that.  Then I disable that function, adjust my aperture to the desired setting, and then take the shot.

In my case I actually tend to do things in a slightly different order sometimes if I have to shoot fast to capture a fleeting moment, like if one of my kids is about to do something cool, or there's a bird and it's about to take off, or whatever.  That approach is to hit record, then adjust focus as best as I can, then open the aperture, fine-tune focus, then adjust the aperture again.  Once you're recording you can't use the digital zoom, so you have to focus without it.  I work with fully manual lenses (the Voigtlander 17.5mm 0.95 is my main lens) and have auto-SS and auto-ISO so when I'm adjusting aperture it's only a temporary dimming or brightening of the shot before the camera adjusts.  I'm probably still adjusting things by the time that the moment happens (so much of candid photography is about seeing what is about to happen) but sometimes you manage to nail the shot and it's good.  It sounds like a lot but it can be pretty quick if you practice a lot.

This is an example from a recent trip - my kids don't pose for me at all but they do take a lot of selfies so I find that shooting them shooting themselves is both a good moment and also a representation of our trip, so catching the 2s shot is pretty difficult, but still achievable.

1002543976_ScreenShot2018-12-29at10_06_52am.png.48651f26fa53a0899babde2cce5089de.png

In terms of using the screen when you shoot from the hip, I'd use the same technique as above, with the focus-peaking just a little less helpful.

2 hours ago, Thpriest said:

I have got used to High focus peaking with the view finder although if it's a very long shoot I sometimes have to switch eyes! 

I think I'm moving in that direction too.  Maybe I should change my preset configuration to High focus peaking and see how I like it :)