Hands on with the RED Hydrogen

Anaconda_

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So, I now have a Red.

Apart from the steep learning curve with Android (trying to switch that bl@@dy assistant off was a challenge) it is a superb device.

The 3d (H4V)? It can be totally stunning. Absolutely amazing. Even to the point I flinched when a chopstick popped out of the screen. It can also be ghastly and nauseous. It is critical to get the screen in just right place so sharing the experience is difficult (although I do have two thanks to Jim - titanium to be delivered in due course).

No idea if it’s the start of something massive. Will it change cinema or photography? Who knows. But get it right and it is an experience like no other.

Definitely worth the wait.

I got a quick look (30 secs) by chance at one of these..... So not even close to having a real opinion yet and would like a closer look. All I can say is as a first impression the 3d effect is half as good as I expecting. Of course it may be my expectations at fault for that ? 

Initially I would say Nintendo 3ds ISH quality plus 10-20%

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Snowfun said:

No idea if it’s the start of something massive. Will it change cinema or photography? Who knows. But get it right and it is an experience like no other.

It will be interesting to see if it takes off. 3D has been tried relatively recently and there was a billion dollar marketing effort behind it from at least 10 major corporations, and a presence in every store. The not insubstantial effort failed and customers aren't particularly hot on 3D movies either, instead rather shoehorned into them due to a dominant number of showings. If RED want to seed 3D again, in the high-end smartphone market, and have it be successful, they have their work cut out I think because the smartphone market is so competitive and people are so satisfied with their OLED touting Samsung and Apple monsters.

Calling it "Holographic" instead is really more like "we improved the quality" rather than "we revolutionised 3D".

The other problem is the difficulties to show the effect online. YouTube videos about the Hydrogen just don't have that wow factor as they're unable to film the effect.

In terms of the content, it needs to be easy to shoot holographic content on a regular camera. I am not a huge fan of shooting 3D the proper way, needs a bulky rig and mirror box to be done professionally. Remember those Fuji compacts with two lenses that came out a while ago? I wonder if they'll come back in mirrorless form? :) Two lens mounts one next to the other. I suppose it would be easier just to rig up two GH5s one next to the other.

33 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Two lens mounts one next to the other

I have a 35mm Stereo camera in my bag at all times. Once you get used to how to use it, it's fun to use and the results are really something else. The advantage is you can print 3d photos into a book, either as a stereo image that you look at through glasses, or you can look at them as a monoscopic image that looks super nice due to the organic film.

The reason I say once you get used to it, is because the focus is on the side, you turn it with your right forefinger and the shutter is on the top, but you press it with your left finger. Aperture is adjusted by twisting either lens, and shutter speed and shutter cocker are on the middle lens. Then there's 2 viewfinders, one for framing (you look out the middle lens) and the other is the rangefinder. Strangely, these are at the back, on the bottom of the camera, so the hotshot is up by your hairline while you're taking a photo. You can see the rangefinder windows on the bottom corners of this pic:

image.thumb.png.5d23d6c7210f2be1146e61df7e14176e.pngThe serial number on my model suggests it was made in 1952 - 3D photography is nothing new.

As for mirrorless - any MFT camera can use this - but I don't imagine the results to be that great. Fun to play with for sure though.

image.thumb.png.3e2c9718d3c51f32808ef8e22d63d0cf.png

• Super Members

If you ever fancy experimenting in shooting 3D in a very easy way then keep your eye out for one of the Sony TD range of camcorders (10,20 or 30) popping up used for a cheap price.

The lenticular screen on those to let you monitor and playback 3D without glasses was very effective and as Sony were obviously trying to push 3D they didn't skimp on the spec of the rest of the camera either.

When those cameras didn't become a major hit, I definitely took that as the sign that 3D was doomed for consumer content generation as they should have been massive.

You would think that considering they are a 6-7 year old consumer camcorder of a failed format that you would be able to pick one up now for less than £100 but, like the Samsung NX1 I suppose, people who have them know how good they are and are in no rush to get rid of them and they still command a surprisingly high price when they come up for sale.

Definitely the sort of product to keep an eye out for in secondhand shops like CashConverter and CEX though if you fancy a dabble in 3D.

On 11/2/2018 at 3:18 AM, Andrew Reid said:

It will be interesting to see if it takes off. 3D has been tried relatively recently and there was a billion dollar marketing effort behind it from at least 10 major corporations, and a presence in every store. The not insubstantial effort failed and customers aren't particularly hot on 3D movies either, instead rather shoehorned into them due to a dominant number of showings. If RED want to seed 3D again, in the high-end smartphone market, and have it be successful, they have their work cut out I think because the smartphone market is so competitive and people are so satisfied with their OLED touting Samsung and Apple monsters.

Maybe RED will finally make my Samsung NX300 (and the other NX series cameras) with the 45mm 3D lens worth something relevant 

On 11/2/2018 at 3:31 AM, Anaconda_ said:

As for mirrorless - any MFT camera can use this - but I don't imagine the results to be that great. Fun to play with for sure though.

Only good for stills! Not video. 

For that you need a Samsung, a NX300 or newer ideally.

On 11/2/2018 at 3:54 AM, BTM_Pix said:

If you ever fancy experimenting in shooting 3D in a very easy way then keep your eye out for one of the Sony TD range of camcorders (10,20 or 30) popping up used for a cheap price.

Ouch, the Sony TD300 on eBay is wanting a very optimistic high price:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Sony+TD300&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_ItemCondition=4&_sop=15

You could easily buy a Sony FS7 / F5 instead!

Some of the 3d (h4v) photographs are truely extraordinary. By no means perfect but an astonishing experience. They genuinely capture a scene in a way not previously possible with this level of convenience.

Biggest problem is that it’s not possible to share them or view them on anything other than the phone. Not sure how that will be addressed.

Not sure I understand why there are so many negative if not vitriolic reviews.

8 hours ago, Snowfun said:

Some of the 3d (h4v) photographs are truely extraordinary. By no means perfect but an astonishing experience. They genuinely capture a scene in a way not previously possible with this level of convenience.

Biggest problem is that it’s not possible to share them or view them on anything other than the phone. Not sure how that will be addressed.

Yeah he shoots with a Red camera, and complains that this phone cost 1300 dollars, and he is paying 3000 bucks for a Red Mag! The new iPhone's with extra memory cost 1300 bucks or more also.  Any new product that is pushing tech to the max is going to have warts.

https://www.red.com/RED-MINI-MAG-PARENT?quantity=1&mediasize=4

• Super Members
9 hours ago, Snowfun said:

Smartphone review wars on YouTube make the ones between rival camera brand zealots look like light hearted banter at a pro-celebrity charity crown green bowls match in comparison.

9 hours ago, Snowfun said:

I remember when the first mobile phone capable of video chat came out, int he UK it was the Three Phone, or something like that. You could only video chat with someone who also had the same phone, and not many people did. Now though, video chat comes as standard everywhere and isn't even worth mentioning.

On 11/7/2018 at 10:51 AM, Anaconda_ said:

I remember when the first mobile phone capable of video chat came out, int he UK it was the Three Phone, or something like that. You could only video chat with someone who also had the same phone, and not many people did. Now though, video chat comes as standard everywhere and isn't even worth mentioning.

Yeah I see the new iPhones can do like 35 people all at the same time now on Facetime! And now the new Series 4 Apple Watch I have has Walkie-Talkie in it. Crazy times.

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

No they are not! The Samsung smartphone has true holographic technology... not a simulated holographic display. The Samsung phone mimics what we saw in Star Wars. Red might be the darling of Hollywood, but make no mistake of it; Samsung could crush them anytime they choose to.

21 minutes ago, DBounce said:

No they are not! The Samsung smartphone has true holographic technology... not a simulated holographic display. The Samsung phone mimics what we saw in Star Wars. Red might be the darling of Hollywood, but make no mistake of it; Samsung could crush them anytime they choose to.

"Final thoughts

It appears that the application is very detailed, and although it’s only in the application stage, the execution is just around the corner, especially when a smartphone giant like Samsung is in charge. In my opinion, we should expect to see the holographic smartphone very soon."

Eh they don't have it yet. Hell I am working on a thing that turns horse shit to gold. It's just around the corner. When they have it out, if ever, then we will talk as they say. At least Red has one in operation.