Hands on with the RED Hydrogen

Anaconda_

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's interesting to hear snippets like this as who knows where on the spectrum from is-that-all to I-didn't-even-think-that-was-possible-take-my-money it will end up.

One of the natural things it could end up being is to essentially turn your smartphone and your monitor/recorder into the same device, which would be sweet - imagine having a monitor that supported apps from third-parties!

Who knows what else it will do beyond that, but this board sure does like hype and not much information!!

What happened to the second camera pair front and back they talked about?  The website picture last year had one pair of cameras front and back like the demo.  That's what is needed to reduce deficiencies in 3D filming.

Reading the accounts on reduser of those who did attend, the verdict seems to be heading to “good but below expectations” territory. Except the audio which is getting very positive reviews (although how accurately this could be evaluated in a crowded, presumably noisy, space is anyone’s guess). So far there seems to be little additional information about the 2d camera and “cinema” modules/lens mounts.

Interesting too that the “toy boys” are being “thrown off” reduser and into a different space (h4vuser.net).

JJ did comment that the devices on display were very much “prototypes” - is that likely given the impending delivery and public viewings by the carriers?

I’m not cancelling my preorder - but perhaps I didn’t really expect projected life size holograms to appear...

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

Reading the accounts on reduser of those who did attend, the verdict seems to be heading to “good but below expectations” territory. 

Wow.

By the standards of the usual responses on there to anything that RED does its not just a lukewarm reaction but positively icy isn't it?

16 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

So far there seems to be little additional information about the 2d camera and “cinema” modules/lens mounts.

I imagine the response to the phone's USP being less than adulatory could do you a favour there and the bolt on modules might end up delivering more for less to compensate.

24 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

Interesting too that the “toy boys” are being “thrown off” reduser and into a different space (h4vuser.net).

I suspect they don't want the (by their standards) very mediocre response from the flock bringing the vibe down in the main hall of worship.

That will likely only get far, far worse as it reaches the hands of normal consumers who tend to have a different perspective on the appropriate response to a missed deadline and/or a less than promised performance or feature set.

You don't want the general public showing up with their torches and pitchforks on reduser. It would be a bloodbath !

17 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

normal consumers

Surely not...

Isn’t it disciples only?

I like the optimism about the opportunities for the 2d stuff. A genuine “pocket” cinema camera isn’t too much of a leap of faith? (Although possibly deep rather than just big pockets might be required).

I dread the day when you post that you’ve picked up an H1 in the O2 store for 299...  

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

Surely not...

Isn’t it disciples only?

I like the optimism about the opportunities for the 2d stuff. A genuine “pocket” cinema camera isn’t too much of a leap of faith? (Although possibly deep rather than just big pockets might be required).

I dread the day when you post that you’ve picked up an H1 in the O2 store for 299...  

They seem to have a vision for it to be a bona fide retail product to compete with the iPhone and top end Androids so they'll need to start ordering up some industrial quantities of that Kool Aid they currently use for communion ;)

How much extra value (i.e. free stuff) they throw at the other modules is going to be proportional to how much compelling content (and improvement in performance) they can pull together for when it properly launches. If the hologram stuff just doesn't wow enough they'll need to pivot it into the cinema camera aspect being the selling point otherwise it could just bomb as a system completely. When I see people on Reduser who are invested in it and desperately want it to live up to the hype saying its more or less reminiscent of a Nintendo 3DS as an experience then I do worry what the reaction to it is going to be from the average consumer to it if it doesn't blow them away.

I am barred from 02 after a "misunderstanding" about a very large bill in 1996 so I wouldn't worry on that score.

Its when I say I'm in Cash Converters looking at one for £199 that you need to be concerned ;)

I’ll be honest... this phone does peak my interest. And, a very keen observation by that article is that if RED can make that phone into a very essential part of the filmmaking kit.

And, after some thought... all it has to do is give Atomos - a run for their money.

If Red can...

That's the big question. So far all we see is a chunky phone, with a less than current chipset, that the faithful can't control their eREDctions (yes, lame boner pun) over its sound. I find the concept incredibly interesting, but I want to see more of the ecosystem before plunking down $1200 on a slightly obese Android phone. I'm more interested in the other bits beyond the hologram stuff, because I don't know anyone else that's even heard on Red, much less will buy the phone. People on Reduser are talking about swapping numbers just to be able to holo-chat with someone else. 

At this point you still have to buy with the hope that all promises made will come to fruition since nothing has been revealed yet. This feels like a more expensive version of "The Coolest Cooler" with even pricier add-ons. If its not widely adopted - like if they only sell in the thousands, or hundreds of thousands, instead of millions like other phone makers - is this even sustainable? Seems like a lot of teething pains for early adopters as its still unfinished. Hope to see more soon.

Chris

2 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

If Red can...

That's the big question. So far all we see is a chunky phone, with a less than current chipset, that the faithful can't control their eREDctions (yes, lame boner pun) over its sound. I find the concept incredibly interesting, but I want to see more of the ecosystem before plunking down $1200 on a slightly obese Android phone. I'm more interested in the other bits beyond the hologram stuff, because I don't know anyone else that's even heard on Red, much less will buy the phone. People on Reduser are talking about swapping numbers just to be able to holo-chat with someone else. 

At this point you still have to buy with the hope that all promises made will come to fruition since nothing has been revealed yet. This feels like a more expensive version of "The Coolest Cooler" with even pricier add-ons. If its not widely adopted - like if they only sell in the thousands, or hundreds of thousands, instead of millions like other phone makers - is this even sustainable? Seems like a lot of teething pains for early adopters as its still unfinished. Hope to see more soon.

Chris

100% on the teething pain...

But it’s not going to be hard getting this going...

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again...

This phone will be like Beats by Dre head sets, not because it’s the kraziest new gadget like how when iPhone came out in 2006/2007, but because it will be associated to celebrity status...

DPs will get their hands on it first, and then celebrities will become interested by proximity... I have a feeling that holo-chat is going to be that hook.

The youtuber Mrwhosetheboss had demonstrated a very interesting holographic 3D design by some cheap DIY hack. It shouldn't be too difficult to replicate that with a screen having distinctively raised corners, square in shape with thick glass. 

If it can do 4k 10-bit 4-2-2 video, it would be the First Smartphone to be able to pull it off and for that alone a lot of filmmakers would pick up one. Even if it has the Sony IMX477 sensor which is a 1/2.3" sensor, it would be good enough.

Having 10bit JPEG type HEIF photos and 10-bit 4-2-2 video alone is huge in a smartphone.

Right now, those twin cameras in the phone look strangely like those on Moto Phones. 

13 hours ago, Snowfun said:

No way to view that website :-/ 

12 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

By the standards of the usual responses on there to anything that RED does its not just a lukewarm reaction but positively icy isn't it?

Yup!

13 hours ago, Snowfun said:

Except the audio which is getting very positive reviews (although how accurately this could be evaluated in a crowded, presumably noisy, space is anyone’s guess).

Plus the room would have been full of non-audio experts. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The question is whether the novelty will wear off like it did with other 3D devices, because if there's not the long-term interest there, there won't be long-term 3D content.

It's a good way to differentiate it to other phones though... Certainly stands out as different, both in branding, design and the display. Not sure about the camera. Is it better than P20 Pro?

Most smartphones are too alike these days so this is good from RED... But we'll see how it does on the market.

I am sure almost all these high end Smartphones have the "Horsepower" in them to make them damn near a Cine camera. The idea what Red has with the port on the back is the way to go. Just put a module on it and you have cubed or more your ability for better output in a heartbeat. Even a sensor twice the original size with a lens to match it is instant 4x better. Which works out as a least twice as good.  This stuff could get damn interesting damn quick.

Hell I will take that ability if it is not at a Red camera price! ?

12 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I am sure almost all these high end Smartphones have the "Horsepower" in them to make them damn near a Cine camera.

I'm no expert, but listening to the guy from Filmic Pro sounds like the phones are too small and can't handle the heat for such horsepower currently.