Time to buy a used C500 or FS700 for ProRes Raw?

Dave Maze

It’s been over a month now since the release of ProRes Raw and I’m seeing people like Caleb Pike and others doing tests with ProRes Raw and it’s gotten me really really excited. The usability of it seems to be unreal. It got me thinking... the two best options in my opinion for price and performance would be the C500 and FS700. Is it worth picking one of these cameras up used to try ProRes raw on? I’m sure BMPCC 4K will get an update that it’ll shoot ProRes raw eventually, but the C500 has never been cheaper and more appealing to me. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with either camera?

Here is a video from Caleb about his journey to ProRes raw. I can’t believe how well it holds up and I’ve been waiting for something like this ever since 2010 when I tried RED raw for the first time. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, Germy1979 said:

I love the C500.  Just the image.  Even the internal 1080 (to me at least) - looks a lot more organic than the C300.  This vid was done with a CP.2 50mm, all internal HD recording.  (Some GoPro in there as well, easy to spot).  

Did you make that? It’s great! Can you put the handgrip on the camera? 

Maybe wait a little to check the framerates supported by prores raw recorders on these cameras. We are talking about old technologies here. I'm thinking that it will be compatible but only on 4K 24/30, no high frame rates, at least on the C500.

I use the c500 for all my work 2k 60 12bit the C300 mkii does not have this. It is an amazing camera. I think you can get DPAF on this it’s not been done however it is the same sensor as the C300 mk1 and that has DPAF.

Re: Pro Res Raw, in the menus it does have 4k 60 raw and 4k 120fps half raw email Atomos and shout about it they should consider it. 

Here is some of the Work shot with the c500, a documentary I am working as a DP on 

10 hours ago, mercer said:

Holy 73 Cows that looks good!!! Great job @Ollywood88 !!!!!

Thank you for your kind words. 

The C500 is special just like the 1dc, The C300 MKII has the lovely clog 2 and 3 that is it, its more of a side grade than an upgrade. The fan noise can be fixed.. All depends on how long you are shooting for. 

I think cost wise it beats a lot of cameras hands down, Just let down by the Dynamic Range.autofocus but hey it was released in 2012 wasn't it. Pair it with the 7Q it is amazing. The atoms does not support 2k. 

What is frustrating is that in the menu it has 2k 120fps nobody has even gave it a thought. 

@Ollywood88 I love hearing your thoughts and perspective on the C500. I own and love my 1DC and have been hesitant to get rid of it. But C500 with Canon Raw makes a lot of sense for me and my workflow. Im having to convert all my MJPG files to ProRes on a daily basis and its a pain. If I could natively dump my footage into FCPX and actually have RAW. ooooh man. 

I love the C300 mk1 and debated getting one as well...so having the C500 in addition to the 1DC would be a match made in heaven since they were sorta made together. So funny that it has taken this long for this tech to be obtainable enough for people like me. I think the C500 cost like $30,000 or something when it came out. I saw one on eBay for buy it now at $4500. Insanity. 

Here's a project I DP'd on using the C500 over a year ago I did. (The editors had to edit on a 720p timeline....) 

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0753.JPG

APC_0002.jpg

Spot on mate, Spoke to atomos it can only do 4k 30p in pro res raw, I think its due to having the processing power. The 4k 60 can only be done across two drives on the 7q, There may be an option on the 7Q I doubt Atomos will support it. 

Great stills buddy, Get a c500 i my opinion yes it lacks the Dynamic range of the C300MKII no Clog 2 or 3 or autofocus, but.... It has 12 bit 60fps 4444 the c300 mark 2 can only do this in 10 bit over 30fps it can do 12bit 4444 only up to 30fps. The 12 bit 4444 is beautiful in 60fps. It has 4k 60p raw AND HALF RAW.. The fan noise is a pain but run and gun stuff your ok.  1080p is ok internal no frame rates tho that are any good. I nearly brought a c300mkii but saw it more of a side grade not upgrade. 

Nice Rig man, Is that shanks Letus Man cam... I would love that for my 1DC... Do you own it? Was the c500 heavy on it? Thanks

Isn't the C500 still close to $5K? Add the recorder and it gets higher. At that price level I would spend a bit more and go the C200 route to gain the internal raw + PDAF. 

FS700/R remains the cheapest camera for Prores RAW at ~$1.5-2.5K, but again you need that huge and expensive recorder to go with it.

Here is the part two of Caleb's ProresRAW:

True.. the 4k cinema lite is perfect but that is it the internal codecs 1080p and 2k are weak.. 2K on the c500 is amazing.. You can get a c500 for under 5k. I am in the UK I spent the 7q with licenses for RAW to pro res, drives and the camera for just shy of 5k. 

Media cost on the Raw Lite on the c200 is a lot more.. It is a great camera but only for the raw lite internal 8 bit isn't great. 

47 minutes ago, Ollywood88 said:

Spot on mate, Spoke to atomos it can only do 4k 30p in pro res raw, I think its due to having the processing power. The 4k 60 can only be done across two drives on the 7q, There may be an option on the 7Q I doubt Atomos will support it. 

Great stills buddy, Get a c500 i my opinion yes it lacks the Dynamic range of the C300MKII no Clog 2 or 3 or autofocus, but.... It has 12 bit 60fps 4444 the c300 mark 2 can only do this in 10 bit over 30fps it can do 12bit 4444 only up to 30fps. The 12 bit 4444 is beautiful in 60fps. It has 4k 60p raw AND HALF RAW.. The fan noise is a pain but run and gun stuff your ok.  1080p is ok internal no frame rates tho that are any good. I nearly brought a c300mkii but saw it more of a side grade not upgrade. 

Nice Rig man, Is that shanks Letus Man cam... I would love that for my 1DC... Do you own it? Was the c500 heavy on it? Thanks

It's a shame Canon isn't doing what Sony and Panny are doing with their raw outputs... but whatever. 

The rig is actually a frankenstein rig that was based around Shane's setup ya! I have pieces from redrock, zacuto, and letus. I really love the handles on that rig. It's super heavy for sure...but works a charm. I need to get a good follow focus setup though. 

2 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

It's a shame Canon isn't doing what Sony and Panny are doing with their raw outputs... but whatever. 

The rig is actually a frankenstein rig that was based around Shane's setup ya! I have pieces from redrock, zacuto, and letus. I really love the handles on that rig. It's super heavy for sure...but works a charm. I need to get a good follow focus setup though. 

nice dude, I heard there may be a mirrorless Full Frame from canon on its way in September so hold on to your pennies. 

Nice is the padded weight and the handles from Letus? I can't get them here in the UK Sadly. What I want built so well. 

Connect with me on Instagram buddy @ollywood88 and @fix8films on there :) 

I think you're confusing Cinema DNG with Prores raw. I own a fs700r/Inferno setup and can assure you that you can record 4k60p in prores raw. You can even record 2k240p

• 3 weeks later...