Sony A7 III first impressions - what is going on with metering in video?

Andrew Reid

13 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

This actually isn't true, its a myth repeated throughout the interweb when people discuss Fuji. Chris

Sorry I didn't mean to say there is no other way. Its just that I don't find using the shutter dial very useful for video. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

XH1 also features a new silent movie control mode: The Silent Video Operation function allows you to control settings such as aperture, shutter speed, ISO sensitivity and white balance with silent touch-panel operations on the rear monitor, preventing the camera from picking up operation noise from buttons and dials during video recording.

I believe this mode also saves independent video settings from still settings.

Can someone explain to me what the movie mode on the dial is for? Because it doesn't appear to save settings independently from the other modes so I don't see the point of switching to it really.

Also has anyone got any tips on what picture profile to use for what situations?

3 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Can someone explain to me what the movie mode on the dial is for? Because it doesn't appear to save settings independently from the other modes so I don't see the point of switching to it really.

Also has anyone got any tips on what picture profile to use for what situations?

I never use 'movie mode'. I have set up my camera with 'C1' as 'default 4k settings' and C2 as 'default HD 120' settings. I occasionally use S&Q for 'slo mo' or 'time-lapse'.

Gh5 also has weirdness.  If you switch between movie and M mode, you can record video in both, but in photo mode the video exposure is darker than when using movie mode or what is shown on the screen before hitting record.

Also remember the infamous color shift on record from previous panny cameras... 

7 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Has anyone tried the remote app with this? Seems to be missing some very basic functionality like tap to focus and picture profile selection 

The remote app functionality is very basic unfortunately. I wish camera companies at least released a remote api functionality so other developers can do their magic. They would have nothing to loose right? 

That being said, I find the remote app to work great for basic monitoring. I can shoot with the camera and other people look at the image on a wirelessly connected tablet.

One time I used it as a binocular replacement. Since the magnification in focus assist is really good now, I used the 12X magnification with the 55mm/f1.8 (FoV similar to a 650mm lens!) to display the actors up close on a tablet/phone so you can get a better view of their expressions. The result was really excellent. 

That brings me to the following question: Does anyone know if the live feed when in stills mode can be recorded through HDMI and what the resolution is? 

• Super Members
7 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

The remote app functionality is very basic unfortunately. I wish camera companies at least released a remote api functionality so other developers can do their magic. They would have nothing to loose right? 

Sony do, although it's not totally comprehensive.

I'm in the process of porting my Panasonic hardware controller to Sony so watch this space.

On 5/23/2018 at 4:19 AM, Robert Collins said:

I never use 'movie mode'. I have set up my camera with 'C1' as 'default 4k settings' and C2 as 'default HD 120' settings. I occasionally use S&Q for 'slo mo' or 'time-lapse'.

Almost the same here, but I have a couple of issues with the c1 und c2 modes:

1. I can't register a custom wb while in c1/c2. Why??

2. AutoISO: While in c2 with ISO set to auto I get a reading of the used ISO when half-pressing the shutter button before recording. With the same settings but in c1/movie mode the display always shows "AUTO ISO" even when half-pression the shutter. I don't need a continous display of the ISO value, but a staring value before you actually shot is very helpful.

19 hours ago, chrisE said:

Almost the same here, but I have a couple of issues with the c1 und c2 modes:

1. I can't register a custom wb while in c1/c2. Why??

2. AutoISO: While in c2 with ISO set to auto I get a reading of the used ISO when half-pressing the shutter button before recording. With the same settings but in c1/movie mode the display always shows "AUTO ISO" even when half-pression the shutter. I don't need a continous display of the ISO value, but a staring value before you actually shot is very helpful.

1. Actually this 'quirk' isnt to do with C1/C2. You cannot 'set a custom WB' in movie mode (only in still modes). There is a fairly simple work around. Set your white balance to 'custom 1' in C1/C2. Move to any stills mode 'set the custom white balance' and register it to 'custom 1' (default.) I think it works this way because when it sets a custom white balance it takes a still photo.

2. Yes my A7 works the same way. Again, I dont think this is actually tied to C1/C2. I think it is the case that auto iso works this way when shooting 4k (and differently in HD.)

5 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

1. Actually this 'quirk' isnt to do with C1/C2. You cannot 'set a custom WB' in movie mode (only in still modes). There is a fairly simple work around. Set your white balance to 'custom 1' in C1/C2. Move to any stills mode 'set the custom white balance' and register it to 'custom 1' (default.) I think it works this way because when it sets a custom white balance it takes a still photo.

2. Yes my A7 works the same way. Again, I dont think this is actually tied to C1/C2. I think it is the case that auto iso works this way when shooting 4k (and differently in HD.)

1. I tried that already but that doesn't work... It seems that the custom wb slots 1-3 are saved with c1/2. Try it yourself...

2. No, that's not the reason. Try that: setup your 4k settings in movie mode (dial). Half press shutter. No ISO reading. Save these settings to C1. Half press shutter, no ISO reading. Save exact same settings to C2, half press shutter, voila! ISO is displayed! Explanation? I have no idea....

While "issue" 2 is not a big deal, the missing custom WB in C1/2 is a major problem for me, any solution (expect manually setting it ;) ) would be highly appreciated!

Greetings,

Chris